Japandroids - Celebration Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened to this today, was underwhelmed after liking the video cobbler posted on his facebook page. :shrug:

These guys just wrapped up at Pitchfork. They really drum up quite the mosh pit. One dude passed out, and four were crowd surfed right over the railing. Intense gig.

The House That Heaven Built/Young Hearts Spark Fire closed :combust:

The mixing was kind of awful, but it didn't matter, they were rocking so damn hard. It was intense and awesome and is going to be hard to top.

The mixing was typical of an outdoor festival on a small stage, except for the vocals. I couldn't understand anything he sang for the whole set. Oh wellz.

That's what I was referring to. The vocals. It seemed like halfway through House That Heaven Built they turned his mic WAAAAY down.

the set sounded terrible at P4K. it really is the worst festival. from where i was standing/pogoing (just R of the sound booth) the sound was DOMINATED by the snare drum, which had a weird timbale quality to it.

all wasn't lost, tho. Their energy is beyond infectious, and despite the terrible sound the quality of the songs REALLY shone through (maybe because of the sound). Brian is an amazing guitar player. really amazing. They mentioned coming back to Chicago, and that's got my fists pumping.

so the final score - 2 fists way up for Japandroids, 5 thumbs way down for Pitchfork fest. it's the worst festival (i could go on and on about the problems with this festival, but i'll spare you - at least nobody got killed or stabbed, and, in all fairness, the crowd vibe was pretty good).

I really do hate this festival in some ways, but I also find myself here every year, so clearly I enjoy it more than hate it.

Saw these cats for the second time in seven months tonight. Last time I caught them at Laneway Festival, and they played late afternoon in a narrow carpark next to a river, and subsequently the sound was pretty ordinary and it just didn't quite get across the way it should have.

Tonight they played at Corner Hotel, my favourite Melbourne venue, small club. And it was fucking great. They shred, they sweat, they belt away at the drums, it's awesome. A lot of crowdsurfing, a couple of dudes ran onto the stage and then jumped back into the crowd (and it was great to see them not get in shit for it), and Brian stagedived later in the set.

Highlights for me were Nights of Wine and Roses, Younger Us, Continuous Thunder, and a couple of tracks I didn't know - loved the guitar work on what I'm guessing was Rockers East Vancouver and this cover they played called To Hell With Good Intentions (part of a two-song "slow part of the show", preceded by Continuous Thunder, "so we can get our breath back before the big finish"). No encore, just played straight through for 90 minutes, which was most welcome. Closed with For the Love of Ivy, probably my least favourite track off Celebration Rock, but the mosh was going off and they interrupted it towards the end to play a bit of Lithium, which the crowd started singing. "How do you know the words to that? We only wrote it a couple of days ago..."

Great gig. Much better than the festival set I saw.

"To Hell with Good Intentions" was originally done by McLusky. Great tune! Show sounded fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it. I have yet to see them.

Who has heard the new album, Near to the Wild Heart of Life? It's.... interesting. That's about the best thing I've got to say about it.

It's like... if Springsteen started dabbling in emo. Like, if he just focused on his most mawkish tendencies. It's mostly lyrical, the lyrics are unbelievably on-the-nose, a few sample lyrics:

"The future’s under fire and the past is gaining ground
A continuous cold war between my home and my hometown
I was destined to die dreaming when one day, my best friend
With passion and pure provocation, summoned me and said
You can’t condemn your love to linger here and die
Can’t leave your dreams to chance or to a spirit in the sky
May your heart always be ardent, your conscience always clear
And succumb to the city and surrender, baby, I’ll be waiting here”

And fuck I'll be here forever if I quoted the others. Just look at the entire lyrics to the title track. The song title alone for "True Love and a Free Life of Free Will" (not to mention its lyrics). "In a Body Like Grave" has the actual real-life line "From a mere mirage to the moment of your cum of cums".

That's a legit line on a real music album.

These lyrics aren't really much different from their career MO, though, they've just doubled down on them, assuming due to a lack of inspiration/daring. The emo-ness comes from Brian King's vocals. One of the things that won me over with the Japandroids five years ago was his vocals - I won't say they had an edge to them (because their music has always been very polished), but he was really belting out those songs. I'm not sure how old he is but he really sold those songs, like he was one of those twentysomethings he was singing about - waiting for the end of the working week and living for Friday and Saturday night house parties.

On the new album his voice is different. It has more of an ~emo~ twang to it, and it in no longer hooks you in. Whether that's because he's older and it's harder to get the same message he was peddling five years ago across, or whether it's because he's just trying to do something different, but I'm not a big fan. That's probably unfair on them... all great bands change and tweak their sound. But I just don't think this works.

So it's no surprise then that the best song on the album by an absolute mile is the only one sung by the drummer David, "Midnight to Morning". His vocals are kind of a wash but they suit the song and the music and it's a great tune. The title track is the best of the rest, and "Arc of Bar" is a good attempt at something different - more of that would would have been the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom