Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#53 - The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

31NEWVT49HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Another curious choice. No complaints from me...this is my favorite VU album by a fair amount.

It's downright frightening to read what some people have written about this thing. Great album? Uh, no. The Velvet's best? Certainly not. BEST ALBUM EVER?? You should seriously move out of your parent's basement and get your life straightened out. Sister Ray in particular; what a steaming pile of dog doo that wretched thing is. And I'm a big fan of Lou Reed's notorious Metal Machine Music!! While that album is not music, it certainly is a very intriguing concept. White Light White Heat however makes pretensions that this godawful noise is music, or at least I guess it does, who can tell? Stick with The Velvet Underground and Nico, the self-titles 1969 album, and Loaded. Try to track down a copy of the last album, Squeeze, as well. All are great-- seriously great-- albums. Then pick this up to complete your collection. Play it once and force yourself to sit through it just to say you've heard it. If you buy this garbage first you'll never want to hear any more VU. In my opinion. I don't begrudge anyone liking or even loving this disaster, but for anyone to say it's one of the greatest albums ever is simply stupefying. Imagine Lydia Lunch circa '82 hooking up with a blind drunk '83 era Replacements. And then take away three fourths of whatever decent that pairing from hell came up with, and you have White Light White Heat.

Listen. This is by far and away the most awful album I have ever heard. If you have to choose between buying this cd or feeding a homeless person for a few days, buy the cd and give it the homeless person as a gift. Tell him if he doesn't get his life together that he'll end up sounding like the people on this cd. He'll straighten up.

Spoken words, horrible singing, and the... overhyped Sister Ray. I very much like some VU, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, The Pixies and other bands not considered mainstream. But this is not music. It is a joke, however. Anyone with the least degree of objectivity can't think this is good. It is painful to sit through. Put on a good Beatles, Stones, or Miles Davis album, then listen to this noise. It doesn't hold up. There's no talent in the grooves. I guess this is supposed to be some sort of avant-garde or alternative experiment. If so, then it is nothing more than a guise for people without talent doing something different that is labeled as cool or groundbreaking, but in reality smacks of incompetence.

One of the worst albums I have heard for ages. The title track, "Lady Godiva's Operation" and "Here She Comes Now" would perhaps be passable if they just sounded any good. Unfortunately etc. etc.

#52 - R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant

413PXEHA78L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cuyahoga, Begin The Begin, Fall On Me, etc. Deserves a spot, though not above Murmur IMO.

Oh my Lord, how drear! Mumble mumble mumble!

This is where R.E.M. turned the corner and decided to R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A., as if on some kind of mission to annoy. They used to sound cool, mysterious. Well, not here. No sir, with Lifes Rich Pageant onward, they wanted to be rock stars.

The cringing starts with "Begin the Begin", a hip-grinding rocker that has a Mick Jagger swagger which, in the hands of Michael Stipe, just comes off as embarrassing. It's Michael with a can-do attitude (lucky us) which spills over into the next song, the surprisingly melodic "These Days" roaring and shouting at us, "...we are young despite the years, we are concerned, we are hope despite the times..." giving us an actual anthem. Dear god, do we really need another? "Fall on Me" points out the most distinct difference in the "new R.E.M." - it's another Byrdsian folk song, which had always been a major aspect of their music, but now it's crisp, direct, obvious. There's no room for enigma in a protest song, they've decided, the "message" needs to be jammed down your throat.

Prior to this album, their music had been strengthened by insisting that the vocals and drums be pushed into the mix, leading the listener inward to find balanced, well-crafted, but still powerful songs. Well, that's too much effort for your average radio listener - you don't go platinum with obtuseness. So now the vocals and drums are way up front, something for you to shake your fist and pound your chest to. Dumbed-down and a little too cocksure. I realize it's important for a band to redefine themselves, but it's always suspect when that band just happens to pick a path that more closely resembles whoever's filling arenas at the time. Sadly, in 1986, it was John Mellencamp and Bryan Adams.

Resentful? Me?

But it's not just their stylistic choices that bug me about this record. There's just some poor songwriting here, like the godawful and anemic "What If We Give It Away?", the Tom Waits rip-off "Underneath the Bunkers", the sea shanty sung as a power ballad "Swan Swan H", and the overt earnestness of "Cuyahoga", which sounds like they wrote it 5 minutes before walking into the studio. Drunk.

It's any band's prerogative to become the antithesis of whatever made them interesting in the first place, and laugh themselves to the bank in the process. But I don't have to like it.

I used to say that Document was where R.E.M. lost their early mojo, but umm... no this is it.

Yay, Life's Rich Pageant! Yay, Exile on Main Street!

... I think White Light / White Heat was the VU album I listened to and was horrified. Man, did I hate that one. Isn't that one very noisy? I may be thinking of another VU album, but I'm pretty sure this is the one.

I'm too scared to listen to WL/WH now that I've heard TVU&N....yeah, I don't know if that's happening.

#51 - Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

51PLYreKV5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not much difference between this and Exile in my mind. Exile is more consistent, so that puts it over the top, but I love both.

Get any Bon Jovi album insted, December 15, 2006

I really despise this overrated band who are the worst band ever THE ROLLING STONES. They are huge posers and all their albums awful and they suck.

Mick Thornten is a huge joke of a lead singer, just cant sing, screams, uses make up, and does drugs.

Kieth Richmond is what I call the worst guitar player in the world,ever! He never took guitar lessons,his guitar is funky,always out of tune,can't play guitar,and his strings break on his guitar. He cant even fix his guitar.

Willie Whatts is the worst drummer in the world. He can't play drums and he never took lessons. What an idiot!

Sympathy for the DEVIL is the worst most idiotic song ever recorded by anyone in the industry of music.

This Stones album is as bad as Sticky Fingers.

Go buy a Bon Jovi CD, huh!

Bon Jovi was better.

The Stones are terrible.

One more thing

They are junk.

Adios Amergos

i only like 'sympathy for the devil', and even then i could make do without. very american, very boring

^ No, not Axver, unfortunately. :(

It really does baffle me that this album, and the three albums this band released after it, get so much love. Listenable but bland blues/country rock that people eat up with lots of enthusiasm whilst I sit here confused.

... I think White Light / White Heat was the VU album I listened to and was horrified. Man, did I hate that one. Isn't that one very noisy? I may be thinking of another VU album, but I'm pretty sure this is the one.

Yep, that's likely the one. The noise doesn't bother me. I hated the album at first, but you eventually pick out the melodies after listening through a bunch of times. It's like your eyes getting used to the light in a dimly-lit room.

Wow great list so far (about 10 of my 50 made the list so far).. All very good albums.. except the Pink Floyd one.. I'm perhaps the only non Pink Floyd fan on interference..:reject:

Guess who?

That's right, PFAN IS IN THE HOUSE.

THE RISING!!!!;LAKJDJADS;LJFADF :D:D:D:D:D:D

Yep, I'll definitely share responsibility with Peef for this one

Yeah, the Rising was in my top twenty, that probably helped it out a lot.

#50 - Led Zeppelin - II

41UGySBN4OL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Still plagiarizing. Still awesome.

Complete shit, my dick can play better music

Plant's voice is annoying, the lyrics suck and Page's guitar is mediocre, I hate this album, it's so boring, no excitement and "squeeze my lemon" ---- that's really stupid
Rush IQ = 400 (3 members)
Led Zeppelin IQ = 350 (4 members)

Whole Lotta Love written by Bohnam/Dixon/Jones/Page/Plant? Yeah, like Willie sat down with the fools in LED ZEPPELIN and co-wrote a song he wrote 20 prior to this version being recorded. It's actually called 'YOU NEED LOVE' and it's by MUDDY WATERS. Anything LED ZEPPLIN claim to add to this song was ripped off of the SMALL FACES 1966 version re-titled 'YOU NEED LOVING'.

It's really sad and pathetic that these injustices are carried out unabated. What's worse is the 'drum solo' in 'MOBY DICK' (laughable).

The remainder of this album is the same crap we have come to expect from the worlds worst cover band.

"Whole Lotta Love" is a real gem of course. One of the better guitar riffs you'll ever hear. Unfortunatly, the rest of the album is a total shitfest. "Thankyou" is one of The zep's most influential songs. Bands like Journey REO Speedwagon and Forgeiner did this exact same thing 10 years later. "Bring it on home" is just Whole Lotta love without the kamikaze guitar fill. The rest is just forgettable MOR tripe. Led Zeppelin at one of their lamet moments.

#49 - Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

41K%2B%2BNdRm9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Classic. But it didn't bring enough of the Funk for these guys, apparently:

First reaction is that I want to vomit. The lyrics on the opener are risible, the sound of it is enormously twatty. Farting squelching bass which is just unpleasant, and the cheesy doot-doots of lounge music without any of the fun. But there are just about enough moments which I enjoy to make me wonder if it's just a gut (ha!) reaction (but then I wonder what's wrong with gut reactions). I do quite like "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" (perhaps connected to some childhood memory of it that I can't quite pin down), so who knows.

'Higher Ground' is great, of course, and 'Living for the City' is ok, 'Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing' is passable, but the rest of the album is really bland. There's the occasional instrumental part that's interesting, but the banal lyrics and trite production really kill it. Sorry guys - in retrospect, it's mostly just easy listening tripe.

There is just something about Stevie's languid, rather sappy, elevator-music ballads that I can't stand, and this cd has a bunch of them.

I love Stevie. I love funky "Sir Duke" stevie. This album was so highly billed, but it was a real let down for me. I wanted more funk, and did not find it.

I've had a few albums so far...the Elvis Costello one was the first from my list, and yay for Lifes Rich Pageant! :hyper:

Still waiting/hoping for a Flaming Lips album to show up. :waiting: :hyper:

#48 - Pixies - Doolittle

41NDXJW79RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Like the first album, but with more cracking choons.

I agree with the last reviewer who said a Phil Collins for the Nineties not even as musically sophisticated as Phil Collins.This album puts me too sleep!

I do not call this music I call it screamo bloody vampire trash sounds. The songs are obnoxious and ill willed. How can someone say this is "the best album of the 80's" From what planet this band is a noisy conglomerate of punk noise. Hold your ears.

These guys sound like a drunk trucker grinding gears on his rig while singing jingle bells off key. They have way too much guitar, and not enough drums. They can all die as far as I'm concerned.

And another thing, can that fatass they call a lead singer afford to lose some weight!? I think he can, but someone will have to ROLL him into weightwatchers!

Oh dear, the quality of the songs... If I had written them, I would not have entered the studio. Or maybe I would have, but I would not have shown them to anybody. Okay, the songs are not really much worse than with the Stone Roses - guess I just don´t appreciate anything about this, not the songs or other merits.

I have no idea how or why The Stone Roses popped up in there.

I have no idea how or why The Stone Roses popped up in there.[/QUOTE]

Hoping the roses would pop up somewhere in the list or I would be terribly dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom