Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#61 - Talking Heads - Remain In Light

06ed225b9da00f35a134e010.L.jpg

Punk-funk; the most bizarre genre this side of blackened goregrind.

Brian Eno continues his crusade against good music by helping the crap band of the century, the talking heads, release this shitfest. Every copy of this album, and his goddamn solo albums, should be crushed and force fed into Eno's mouth so he can destroy his insides with his own unbelievably lame music.

Distressing, spastic, bombastic, probably plastic too, makes me cringe up into a tight ball like a spider when poked. Gave it 1 star, because: 1. I'm not that mean, 2. I do enjoy one chorus on Once in a Lifetime, however that song is 4 minutes going on 2 hours of repetitive blargle.

I feel like a right wanker now, I hate it when my little loves get reviewed like this, but...hang on, fuck off! This is number 66 (at this moment) on the overall charts while Trout Mask Replica gets a right rollicking back at number 500 (or so). Fuck off again!

May listen to again in future, like force myself like a magnet being pushed (by you 66ers) into the same pole, so I bet i'll just flip around... and be listening to it with my arse again.

Something awful for my prog ears.

^ Not Axver, surprisingly.

#60 - Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On

51gSsiytwSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I didn't think it was possible to hate a guy with a voice like that, but the human race continues to surprise me.

A perennial favourite of the chattering classes, I purchased this hoping for some high quality soul music of a similar style to the excellent Lighthouse Family - sadly there is no comparison. Firstly there are only 9 songs compared to a whopping 17 on the Very Best of the Lighthouse Family, so it's easy to see where to go for value for money. Secondly, Mr Gayes' anti war sentiments seem somewhat naïve and foolish in today's political climate. Thirdly, Mr Gaye can't sing and has to resort to shock tactics such as singing in a high voice like a lady in order to sell records. No wonder his career ground to a halt in the early 80's! Verdict: avoid.

This is just sooo cheesy. I don't understand how people can stand listening to it. Musically, it's fine (especially "Right On"), and Marvin Gaye's vocals are great, but the fusion of subject matter with the sound comes off as silly to me. Curtis Mayfield does this much, much better and actually sounds believable.

The usual codswallop synonymous with this crashing bore is what's going on

What's Going On lives on the shelf marked 'untouchable.' It is the album to make you feel and (more importantly) look mature, tolerant and sensitive. It is the album that broke down the conventions of popular music, set a benchmark for artistic control and spoke for a generation of disenfranchised Americans. I looked forward to installing it in my woefully predictable top-ten-favourite-albums-ever list.

It sounded a bit samey the first time around. This, however, is a juvenile criticism which has at some point been levelled at every album of merit by, er, juveniles. I looked forward to becoming familiar with the nuances of each song, and taking in some of those oft-praised lyrics of beauty and honesty.

A few more listens. "Inner City Blues," the final track, has staked its claim to greatness, and I'm prepared to hear its case. It has a kind of menacing undercurrent which sits well with Gaye's airy vocals. Nothing else really stands out though. OK, OK, the title track is pretty good, and "Mercy Mercy Me" is way better than the Robert Palmer cover version. And the lyrics are, well, you know... they're not very arresting, are they? I suppose the great ones take a bit of time to reveal themselves. "Only Marvin could have written songs like that," isn't that what they all say?

And so on. I'm not exactly sure when I twigged. Maybe after reading the Most Pretentious Sleeve Notes of All Time, or after noticing the disturbing resonance of "Save the Children" in Michael Jackson's "Earth Song". What about elephants?

In short, I hereby relinquish all claims to maturity, tolerance and sensitivity by declaring that this album ("Inner City Blues" aside) is insipid, shallow and idealistic: an album initially loved for being different which to me sounds featureless. It's almost like it's some kind of empire-ruling person who's not wearing any clothing, but has been convinced of the contrary by conniving dressmakers. This despite the fact that he can clearly see his own penis. SORRY MUM, I'M NOT BUYING IT.*

#59 - Jeff Buckley - Grace

dab9828fd7a05c449ead3110.L.jpg

Cori arrived just in time.

It seems like Jeff Buckley attempts to sound like a crossing between Elton John, Gary Moore, Montserrat Caballé and Muse, with a twist of progrock.

He does not succeed in any of those attempts.

His very little voice - whining and weeping, turning to distorted screaming during the refrains - is only partly compensated by the all but original acoustic guitar play, and only little more by the progrock inspired drums and electric guitars.

Therefore, Jeff Buckley is at his best when he doesn't sing.

But he does. So...

The only OK song on 'Grace' is the final 'Dream Brother'. And still, it is only OK, not exactly brilliant.

What a horror story this album is. Total overrated claptrap of the highest order!!

I'll concede that there's some nifty songwriting going on here, but Buckley's overblown melodrama makes me cringe. Often, the music will gain momentum until Buckley holds things up with a sustained, high-pitched wail, and everything grinds to a halt again. It's like driving in London - crawling along, thinking you're getting somewhere, until you reach the next jam, the squeal of brakes matching the self-pitying squeal of this vocalist who sadly passed on before creating anything tolerable to these ears.

HA! As a surprise to absolutely no one here, Grace did not make my list. ;)

(awaits severe beating from joyfulgirl)

It seems like Jeff Buckley attempts to sound like a crossing between Elton John, Gary Moore, Montserrat Caballé and Muse, with a twist of progrock.

Wait Gary Moore and Jeff Buckley in the same sentence...what?

I never miss an opportunity to say that I think Mr. Buckley, while very talented, was made overrated by death.

And then joyfulgirl comes along and disagrees enormously.

All in a very friendly way, naturally. ;)

I'm just glad it was me who was graced with overhearing his afternoon voice lessons and not any of you. :madspit:

:wink:

#58 - Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

51Ggpe6h4uL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Worse than Funeral, better than pretty much everything else.

Moody crap sung by a Springstein wannabe and backed up by a bunch of sad pricks playing an assortment of wanky instruments. Everyone who's anyone will buy this. You should too.

Arcade Fire is from Montreal.

If you knew how cheap their rent was you’d punch them in the face!!!!

[...]Oh, and I should also add that the vocal intro to "My Body Is a Cage" is probably the most "I WANT TO PUNCH THE LEAD SINGER'S LIGHTS OUT!!!!" moment I have ever had. Lyrically, it's awful, and his voice and delivery makes me want to vomit.

Overrated album with pretentious lyrics, boring songwriting and flat production. I don't get it.

*compares it to Funeral*

/review

Ah thanks....definitely didn't catch THAT PART :p

no problem :hi5:

Moody crap sung by a Springstein wannabe and backed up by a bunch of sad pricks playing an assortment of wanky instruments. Everyone who's anyone will buy this. You should too.

Quote:
Arcade Fire is from Montreal.

If you knew how cheap their rent was you’d punch them in the face!!!!

:lmao:!

#57 - Bruce Springsteen - The Rising

514PlbYMKjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Intriguing choice, to say the least. I think Pfan and Ashley pushed this one over the top.

My apologies to all you Loose Bedspring fans out there, but to me this guy's been irrelevant since the day Rosalita and Spanish Johnny were hired to clean his toilets. Pretense, thy name is Bruce.

Listened to this after my dad bought it post-9/11 like so many others. I couldn't even identify any part of it to what I thought Springsteen was all about. Give him points for releasing an album so ambitiously, take almost all those points away because it is all filler and seems to be an album generated out of a machine for purely financial reasons. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that there is nothing musically worthwhile on this whole endeavor.

The Rising is a hateful exercise in capitalism. Either Springsteen is a misguided, arrogant moron who believes he sings truth or is he one cynical bastard. Post 9/11, Springsteen appointed himself as the conduit for a nation's pain and he ruthlessly marketed his "new album" as some kind of remedy; he did everything but play concerts at Ground Zero. I use the term "new album" loosely because the record is full of half baked AOR power ballads; the type of stuff that Springsteen could've come up with in his sleep and probably did. Really, The Rising came out too quickly to be anything but a rush job. Look, artistic freedom dictates that anyone can talk about any subject, I'm fine with that. But when you strive to tie your product to a national tragedy and do so with such bogus material and dumb lyrics - the type of lyrics only those with the lowest of I.Q.'s will misconstrue - you're pandering. And if you have the right to make an corp-rock album about 9/11, I have the right to call you out as a cheap, corporate shill.

Bought it.. Heard it... Chucked it...

Why do people have to be so damn political. Healing? Give me a priest, not some guy that sounds constapated.

This album is all hype and no pay out, and you all just got suckered.

The Springsteen choices are somewhat surprising but I approve of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom