Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#67 - Oasis - Definitely Maybe

51xZ5jK39bL._SS500_.jpg

:rockon:

It is now official: According to a poll done by the book "British Hit Singles and Albums" and "NME.com", 2 June 2006, this is now the No.1 album of all time. It has displaced "Sgt. Pepper". Yeah, and the Dave Clark 5 are better than the Beatles, Diabelli is better than Mozart, Cherubini is better than Beethoven, Def Leppard is better than the Rolling Stones, and Oasis is better than ANYONE that ever made a rock album. Give me a break. It is listenable. That is about all you can say positive about it. I could say a lot that is negative, but what's the point? The Monkees "Greatest Hits" album has more innovation (really, I'm serious -- I'm not knocking the Monkees). The most overrated album of all time. Put your money to better use.

THE LP DEFINITELY MAYBE, AND ITS EVIDENT SUCCESS, IS A SYMBOL OF THE CULTURE OF MEDIOCRITY WHICH ENSWATHES BRITISH CULTURE. IT IS BUT ONE EXAMPLE OF THE FALL OF THE UNITED KINGDOM FROM GREATNESS TO LAUGHING STOCK.

For the benefit of Mr N Gallagher.

Plagiarize
1 take and use (the thoughts, writings, inventions, etc. of another person) as one's own.
2 pass off the thoughts etc. of (another person) as one's own.

#66 - Peter Gabriel - So

31H6023K1HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A ton of great singles. Also, it has Kate Bush on it. :dance:

I actually enjoy "In Your Eyes" and "Red Rain" but the once ubiquitous "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" are the most annoying songs by almost any artist ever (save for maybe Simply Irresistible). Peter Gabriel really made life hell for me in 1986 with these two shitty songs.

If Phil can do it, I can do it. Big Bucks, here I come !

Does anybody know a good videoclipmaker ? I have this mediocre song that's just dying to get on MTV.
And is Kate doing anything ? No ? Well, she can sing the same line over and over again on this cheesy song that I have written against poverty.
Come to think of it, is there a black singer somewhere from a poor African country, so that I can use him to spice up another great song of mine in the fade-out ?

So... that should do it.

Two good tracks does not make an album.

#65 - Joy Division - Closer

31ymnWqcHSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

If you thought the insults for Unknown Pleasures were cruel, they really bring out the big guns here:

This makes me feel frightened and unhappy.

Aargh! This album is an almost unlistenable pile of self indulgent, miserable nonsense.

If the purpose of this album was to put so much depression across as to make the listener commit suicide to make the aural nastiness stop, then it is a unmitigated success I could quite clearly feel my will to live draining away as I listened to it.

There are no standout tracks, no mitigating factors, although Decades could be said to be the best song ehre, but thats mayeb just becaise once it's finished, the record is over.

To me this is just the sound of a miserable bastard, sounding as much like a self-pitying miserable bastard as he possibly can in order to infect the rest of the world with as much shoegazingly passive, depression causing negativity as possible. There is no story, no redemption, to will to live, nothing to like or even identify with, and as such it is just a self indulgent piece of misery.

This can only hold a place in the affection of other miserable bastards, or those utter fools who have decided Joy Division are cool, 'cause there was that film and he was totally a tortured genius' etc. etc.

No, he was a miserabvle bastard, and this is the recorded sound of a miserbale bastard.

Strongest possible recommendation to avoid.

If thinking Joy Division sucks is crazy you can put me in a padded room and spoon-feed me clozapine for the rest of my life. Just don't make me listen to this crap.

#64 - Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

fab1225b9da0a9d1ba2ac010.L.jpg

See, Axl? This album didn't take 15 years to make. Come to think of it, you probably don't even remember making it.

SORRY FOLKS BUT HERE´S WHEN THE HARD ROCK MUSIC AND MUSIC OVERALL BEGIN´S TO STINK AND WHEN MORE LATER APPEARS THE FUCKIN GRUNGE/ALTERNATIVE ;THE MUSIC DECREASE VERY MUCH IN QUALITY IN THE MISERABLE AND CREEPY NINETIES!! THE THIN AND CHILLE AXL SCREAMER VOICE AND GNR PRODUCTION WERE MERE PATHETIC !!!

How did these metal lunkheads ever get so popular?? Like Aerosmith, they're just another white-trash American Stones rip-off, only worse, since they're an Aerosmith rip-off. Despite "critics" assertions, these guys couldn't rock as hard as Metallica or swing as effectively as Jane's Addiction. They connected with whites the world over because Axel Rose hates anyone he considers "different." Like Toby Keith a decade later, Axel was hailed as the "great white hope" for popular music when it was dominated by black music (Michael Jackson-inspired dance-pop and Hip-Hop). Later, finding that Hip-Hop could not be dislodged as the most popular music medium in America, critics deified rapper Eminem as the new "white hope." Appetite for Destruction might have sold several million more copies than Public Enemy's Yo! Bum Rush the Show or Sonic Youth's Sister (two of the best albums of 1987), but it is no where near the equal of those albums in intelligence, heart and soul.

Laughable. Even for an 80's metal record this sounds lame.

C'mon, folks! This is just Hollywood stuff. Pretended rebels, pretended punks, fake clothes, lots of overdubs and ultra-kitsch videos on MTV.

You can't be serious about this being one of the best things you've heard...
Try harder, there's MUCH more to be enjoyed than this petty appetite.

Axl's voice is disgusting and the bass/drums are SOOO predictible.
It's a SIN to compare these guys with a band like Led Zeppelin.

3 of 17 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars It realy Suckks, April 7, 1999
By A Customer
mozart could write better rock music then tha

#63 - The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society

d5b1d250fca03c841cd65010.L.jpg

Deserved higher, but I'm just glad that people know it exists.

THE OTHER MUSIC REVIEWERS HERE HAVE RATED THIS LP AS GOOD AS THE BEATLES SARGENT PEPPERS OR STONES SATANIC MAJESTIES LPS,ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THESE TWO CLASSICS OR AS GOOD AS ANY STONES OR BEATLES 60S LPS.THE VOCALS ON VILLAGE GREEN ARE WITHOUT FEELING OR TONE,THE LP HAS WEAK MELODIES.HOWEVER THE LYRICS ARE AMUSING.ITS AN OKAY RELAXING ALBUM OF LIGHTWEIGHT PROPORTIONS.LETS FACE IT,IF THIS IS THE BEST KINKS LP AS SOME WOULD SUGGEST,TO COMPARE THEM TO THE STONES OR BEATLES IS ABSURD.THIS IS NOWHERE CLOSE TO THE EXCELLENCE OF THE BEATLES RUBBER SOUL.

Some really amazing tracks on this one! My favorites are "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "When I'm 64" and "Penny lane".

not bad considering it's shit

Sounds a bit dated. The Kinks have quite a lot of remarkable songs, but none of it is in here.

Wow i was really looking foward to this......but have found it to be monotomous and twee.

3 of 17 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars It realy Suckks, April 7, 1999
By A Customer
mozart could write better rock music then tha

tha---? WHAHT!??!?! We'll never hear the rest :sad:

So and Village Green! :hyper: :D

Also, the only reason So was ranked as low as it was on my list is because...it's really just an album of singles. Albeit GREAT singles, but I don't think it's his best album.

OK, folks. Time for a break.

Coming up next in our countdown, Fleetwood Mac, Jeff Buckley, and Arcade Fire.

I have to go to class in 45 minutes. I don't know how I"m going to survive that class without laughing...this is going to be fun :)

#62 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

41e5FDbamjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I had always wondered whether or not everyone in the known universe had grown tired of this band. :wink: Apparently not. Seriously though, this is a solid album. Just not really my cup of tea.

More like Easy Macaroni and Cheesy Mac.

If you can't say anything nice....

Ugh, this album single-handedly turned music into the music industry(Well, they had help from Frampton Comes Alive! & Hotel California, but at least those albums are somewhat listenable). This monstrosity doesn't deserve to be under the handle "Fleetwood Mac". Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham....*shudder*. FM used to be a British blues band, and had a minor hit with Oh Well (the full version is the definitive cut). They made a few albums after Jeremy Spencer & Danny Kirwan left, and then Bob Welch joined. They descended further, but it was still kinda good, and Welch left to form an excellent power trio, Paris. Then Nicks & Buckingham joined & they became absolute shit. Even the cover is terrible....Oh, wow, that's a great set of testicles, thanks for showing me them.

Why were punks so full of hate?

Ta-Da

I was gonna say that this going too fast to be the longest thread in the history of Interference! A bathroom break is good.

Btw, what's with people who write reviews in all CAPS??? Fucking douchebags!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom