Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#75 - David Bowie - Hunky Dory

dc4bc0a398a0e8484782b110.L.jpg

In 1971, they said "Hey, are you going to dress up like a woman for every cover from now on? Because an attractive female model is financially reasonable." In 2008, they say...

Bowie is so overrated it's ridiculous; warbly crooning poundshop showtunes a 10-year-old could've written does not make a great musician.
This hack is definitely not on the same level as Porter, Mercer or Gershwin. More in the league of George Michael, Noel Gallagher and Chris Martin.(*barf*)

If you already have Bowie's "Best Of" double-album, then you already have the only 3 good songs from this album ("Changes", "Oh, You Pretty Things", and "Life on Mars"). The rest of this album is incredibly vapid and uninspired; I feel kinda like I bought an art book because there was some Dali in it, and the rest of the art turned out to be Thomas Kincaid.

#74 - The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

0984024128a0033a2f376010.L.jpg

It sounds like shit, but it influenced everyone who bought it. How many is that, 10 people?

I am absolutely shocked at how utterly horrendous this much-loved album is in every way. Even the cover art is incomprehensibly bad.

I am too underground for this mainstream shit. "Baa baa" you sheeple.

it's not bright eyes

These guys could barely play their instruments competently, and Lou Reed sings like a dead cow. It's music like this, and that of the Stooges, the Sex Pistols, and some other no-talent artists, that led to me losing interest in most any music made after the early 1980s.

Meh. It's no big deal.

Just seeing it ranked higher than Sgt. Pepper makes me laugh at all the maroons who only gave Sgt. Pepper a lousy score so these posers could be # 1. Seriously look at some of the goons who gave this a 5 star rating then check their rating for Pepper. Freakin idiots.

And Nico b-l-o-w-s

#73 - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

ae08820dd7a08591152df010.L.jpg

My favorite Jimi Hendrix record, and I'm not afraid to admit it. The tunes are undeniable, the production is brilliantly unstable, and the guitars must have frightened people in 1967...like Back To The Future, or something.

Guitar hero? More like guitar ZERO!, November 8, 2008

Words cannot describe my intense dislike for Jimi's guitar "skills". This guy is a HACK. All songs sound exactly the same, the drummer is weak, does the bassist even exist? Listen to some REAL music that actually requires talent- like Nickelback!

I first picked this album up because I heard Hendrix played some heavy, rockin music. But all this album is is a bunch of blues tunes that go nowhere. His solos are just a bunch of noise and his sound is dated, unlike good bands like Great White and Skid Row. Not recommended for fans of good heavy metal.

Jimi Hendrix 1967 Are You Experienced

BEATS 2.5
GOOD 2/11
Are You Experienced
Fire

Jimi Hendrix (JH) is a rock singer/guitarist from Seattle. This is JH’s 1st solo studio album, & 1st that I’ve reviewed.

VOCALS JH is a decent singer.

I recommend skipping this, & instead listening to Pearl Jam 1993 Vs.

#72 - The Verve - Urban Hymns

58104310fca04a2d0de66010.L.jpg

Meh. I prefer the early stuff.

If you like your music dull, bland, mediocre and lifeless i recommend you head straight for this little gem! This makes sitting in a dentists waiting room feel like your first ecstasy pill at at an illegal rave.
If your the kind of person who wears beige woolly jumpers with army green jumbo corduroy trousers and brown hush puppy shoes then this is definitley right down your street.
If this album was a meal it would be Boiled potatoes and broad beans. If the drugs don't work its probably because this album is playing which is enough to make even the most severe of acid trips sober you down to feeling like a wednesday afternoon in a suburban library.
Richard Ashcroft is rightfully hailed as a genius for i can think of no other person brave enough to release a collection of such mediocre humdrum.
Its a sad time for the music industry knowing they are no longer with us. They will be a hard act to replace but Travis are trying their best!!!

Terrible. An over-hyped, overproduced culmination of banality.

1 decent song + 11 fillers, February 20, 1999

I miss the old days, when you could buy a 45 single for about $1 or so. With 45's, you could buy a hit song for not much money, then flip it over and listen to the flip side, which usually was a lesser album track, or maybe a minor experiment by the band. You could then decide whether buying the album would be worth it. The initial outlay was only a buck, you got the song you wanted, and if you didn't like the flip side, it was no big loss.

Now, today, you pretty much have to buy a full album to get the song you want. Oh, sure, there are CD singles, but they cost -- what -- about 6 to 8 dollars? At that price, you're better off buying the full album for a few bucks more. And the recording industry knows that.

The Verve is a band that have benefited from today's limiting way of buying music. If something akin to cheap 45's still existed, they'd probably be one-hit wonders. Everybody would buy Bittersweet Symphony and forget about buying the full album. Because that's basically all that is *worth* buying from this band. The rest is major filler. Unfortunately, you see too many bands nowadays that get away with doing this. I figure that the recording industry doesn't really care. "It doesn't matter whether a band is only good for one or two songs, because the poor suckers will have to buy the full album to get those songs anyway! Bwahahaha!"

I love how that last review is even more pointless since it was written before iTunes.

#71 - U2 - Zooropa

bb67820dd7a0bc79a7c2d010.L.jpg

My favorite U2 album. Unbridled creativity and fantastic tunes.

i heard the cosby kids made the album cover

This sucks aside from Stay.

Owning U2 albums is neccessity in my profession but doens't mean I actually like them. I'm so sick of this band that I'm not sure that they could have released an album that would have appealed to me at this time. Zooropa is one of those bizzare pieces of shite that bands supposedly as great as them should never release. When the very best track on the entire long player is sung by your guitarist in a monotone voice you should see the signs. I actually like "Numb" and I think its one of the bands best tracks.

But nothing else here is memorable, fun, catchy, exciting or intriguing. So of all the U2 albums available this is one you can miss.

Tracks too wacky for Achtung Baby. Oh joy. You know, there's a reason that cutting room has a floor ...

#70 - R.E.M. - Out Of Time

9b75a2c008a0b0ec5f3e7010.L.jpg

Ha. One of my least favorite R.E.M. albums, to be honest. It has its moments, and Shiny Happy People isn't as bad as so many say, but this isn't their finest hour. Maybe three classic tunes here.

I hate "Losing My Religion". Most of REM's tunes are sentimental to a certain degree, but this weepfest is downright whiny. And they should have been taken behind the barn and beaten for "Shiny Happy People". "Radio Song" is decent, but doesn't make up for the teeth-grinding badness of these two, and the other songs are mediocre at best. I was 14 when this album was released, and I had had no previous exposure to REM. This CD made me despise them as self-pitying blowhards for years. I have since come around, but the scars linger.

Never has a band taken so long to achieve superstardom, never has a band become irrelevant so quickly. This was their eagerly awaited breakthrough album but it came at too high a price. Desperate, it seems, to do the unexpected for their first Warner Bros release the group diluted the distinctive sound of Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green, anxious not to be seen to cash in on a winning formula. The result is an album whose first side is unlistenable, its second requiring use of the programme button to select `Half a World Away' (just), `Country Feedback' and `Me in Honey'. Oh, and for a band whose covers were always pretty ropey (think Fables of the Reconstruction), Out of Time plumbs new depths of banality.

The melody of “Losing my religion” sounds like it was written expressly for 8-year-olds to learn on the recorder when their ability only extends to the first four notes. Either that or Michael had a fit of creativity when the only instrument to hand was one of those crappy Fisher Price pianos. Confinement within half a scale is what makes this off-limits for buskers with any self-respect, and where Stipe really shows his singing chops. Pretty terrible album, though.

#69 - Television - Marquee Moon

4f7a225b9da07ea7aa087110.L.jpg

Punk rock with brains and musical talent.

This album (along with The Clash) is on every rock critic's "best albums of all time" list, but Television and the Clash are both on my "1001 Things You Must AVOID Before You Die" list (unfortunately, too late for me, my money, and my brain cells, but at least I can warn you not to make the same mistake).

I really don't know what all the critical acclaim is for. I guess you had to be there at the time or something.
To "new" ears (i.e. someone with no personal-history-related nostalgia) this sounds unimaginative, murky and boring.

I wrote a negative review about this before, but Amazon apparently thought it "offensive" and didn't publish it.
Perhaps what their censorious employee was truly offended by was somebody's ability to think for themselves and not cave in to the critics' "dictatorship of taste". Punk WAS about rebellion not conformity, right?

I say: Save your brain cells (and money) for better things.
You want classic punk? Try Blondie, Ramones, Iggy Pop, Stranglers, Damned and Sex Pistols. They deserve to be remembered.
Television and The Clash deserve a big bonfire.

^ I :heart: Blondie being mentioned above.

IVE always been convinced THAT TELEVISION were REALLY no better than a HIGH SCHOOL SEVENTY PSYCEDELIC, third rate amateaur bar band like AWFULL.

Terriblely overated "Critic Rock". I bought this when it first came out based on the hype and I was extremely disappointed. I can't believe the high rating on this site. This album wasn't even certified "Tin".

The most overrated album of [respected musical website] it makes Tom Waits sound like a genius.

IVE always been convinced THAT TELEVISION were REALLY no better than a HIGH SCHOOL SEVENTY PSYCEDELIC, third rate amateaur bar band like AWFULL.

Too much good.

I'm off to get some lunch. I expect to eventually see another of my albums make this list :tsk: :wink:

#68 - Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

b5c7828fd7a0030663d93110.L.jpg

Those first two albums were unbelievable.

After all these years, I've finally listened to Elvis Costello for the first time.
Now, thanks to listening to this album, I think I have contracted AIDS.

Most of the songs are near the three-minute mark, and yet I found myself reaching for the "skip" button at each and every one of them. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for pop music, y'know. Really. But this is Costello throwing a geek pride parade, the kind of thing I wouldn't want to go near to, not even to throw paperballs at him.

I didn't like this album. It could sound new (new wave?), but I think it is a bit as the borning of Lenny Kravitz. Except for two or three moments the rest is kinda a pitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom