Interference B&C All-Decade Space Moon Awards Nomination Ballot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
With just under three weeks left in the decade, I thought this would be a fun and relatively quick/painless thing to do, especially since, as evidenced by the two 'top albums of the decade' threads that have popped up here in the past couple weeks, many of us are already thinking about this kind of thing.

Basically, we vote for musical best-of-decade awards in categories that are more or less based on the grammys, with a few exceptions. We do it in two rounds.

Round 1: Vote on Nominations

C&P the ballot below, and fill in your top 5 picks for each category. When all ballots have been submitted, I will tally everything up. For each category, each appearance of any given song/album/artist will count as one vote for that song/album/artist. The top five vote getters in each category will be the five nominees for that category on the second ballot. Because any appearance of of any given song/album/artist will count as one vote, and because I won't be weighting anything, you can rank your top 5 for each category in order if you want, but you don't have to. You can just list them as they come to your mind. Submit completed ballots to me via PM - please do NOT post them here. Let's aim for the end of the Thursday the 17th as the deadline for nomination ballots.

Round 2: Vote on Winners

Hopefully by the 19th, I'll post a new thread announcing the five nominees for each category as voted on by you, and giving you the final ballot with all the categories and nominations on it, which you'll fill out, one vote per category, and submit. Submission details will be in that thread.

And then I'll try to post the results by Christmas Eve. This shouldn't take too much of your time.

A couple things about the categories:

1. I'm only focusing on Rock, Pop, Indie/Alternative, Hip-Hop, and a general field here. I've not included any categories pertaining to Country, R&B, etc, because I don't feel like there's a big enough audience for them in B&C to warrant their inclusion. For this same reason, whole categories can't be dedicated to subdivisions(ex. Prog Rock, Metal) because there aren't enough potential voters here(imo) to warrant it.

2. Most of these categories are self-explanatory, but I've added descriptions to a few of them for clarification.

3. I think these are, for the most part, fairly obvious categories, but if you feel that some don't need to be there or that I missed some that should be there, feel free to speak up.

Last but not least, I figure the trophies will be miniature space moons - it seemed fitting(that's why I called it the Space Moon awards). :wink: If you have any issues with that(i.e. "How could you commercialize Space Moon like that?!"), feel free to speak up.

I think that's it. Here's the nomination ballot. Here's hoping for participation, and that this doesn't fall flat on its face.

[size=+2]Interference B&C All-Decade Space Moon Awards Nomination Ballot[/size]

[size=+1]Rock Field[/size]
Note: This field is meant to be geared to more mainstream rock acts. There is a separate field for Indie acts.

Best Male Rock Vocal Performance

Best Female Rock Vocal Performance

Best Rock Performance By A Group

Best Rock Album

Rock Artist Of The Decade
Note: See General Field Artist Of The Decade Description

[size=+1]Pop Field[/size]

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance

Best Pop Performance By A Group

Best Pop Album

Pop Artist Of The Decade

[size=+1]Indie/Alternative Field[/size]

Best Male Indie/Alternative Vocal Performance

Best Female Indie/Alternative Vocal Performance

Best Indie/Alternative Performance By A Group

Best Indie/Alternative Album

Indie/Alternative Artist Of The Decade

[size=+1]Hip-Hop Field[/size]
Note: I didn't think there were enough female MCs or hip-hop groups to warrant separate categories. Speak up if I'm wrong.

MC Of The Decade

Hip-Hop Song Of The Decade

Hip-Hop Album Of The Decade

[size=+1]General Field[/size]
Note: There are no limitations on style/type/genre in this filed. Anything goes.

Best New Artist
Description: This award is for best artist who 'broke through' this decade and have proven, over the course of a decade, to be the best . It can go to a solo artist or group, it doesn't matter. The artists you list here do NOT necessarily have to have started releasing music on or after January 1, 2000. If an artist started releasing stuff in the mid-late 90s but nobody knew who they were until the early part of this decade when they broke through, that's perfectly fine.

Single Of The Decade
Description: This award is for the best single of the decade, where the single is any song that was a single(as opposed to a commercial single release with b-sides, remixes, etc). This award is for the single that did best combined high musical quality with doing the best job promoting the artist/album to which it was attached. In other words, huge hits that were terrible songs probably shouldn't be nominated, likewise with great songs that weren't hits at all.

Song Of The Decade
Description: Commercial success is no factor whatsoever. Just the best song of the decade.

Album Of The Decade

Artist Of The Decade
Description: This award is for an artist who has produced a body of work at a sustained level of overall excellence over the course of a decade. Critical and commercial success should be taken into consideration, with more weight given to critical success(commercial success doesn't have to be huge, there just has to be some modicum of it - even a good handful of indie bands have made it to SNL). The key thing here is that an artist can't win this award for one great song or one great album, only for a body of work over the course of a decade.

I admire your ambition, but there are a lot of things wrong with that ballot. I suspect you might not get much participation with this.

Merry Christmas!

I admire your ambition, but there are a lot of things wrong with that ballot. I suspect you might not get much participation with this.

I can't be sure what GAF is specifically seeing but not being able to put "indie" artists into the other genre categories could make it hard for a lot of people. Just throwing that out there...

What is the distinction between Rock, Pop and Indie/Alternative? And when does Hiphop end and become something else? And can you name an artist in the General category that you've already mentioned in one of the other categories?

What is the distinction between Rock, Pop and Indie/Alternative?

Rock and pop are different genres...Radiohead/Muse/Coldplay/etc = rock(and if anyone wants to mention prog or metal bands, that's rock too), but Beyonce, for example, is pop.

Indie is admittedly vague. But it's meant for your Wilco/Fleet Foxes/Animal Collective/The National/etc etc etc types.

And when does Hiphop end and become something else?

I don't know exactly what 'something else' you're referring to...if there's rapping/MC-ing in it, it's probably hip-hop. I could give you a better answer if I understood the question more clearly.

And can you name an artist in the General category that you've already mentioned in one of the other categories?

Yes, absolutely.

I have a hard time stomaching the idea of "genre" in contemporary popular music any more.

maybe take out the genres and just have the general category? 'cause it's going to be hard to pick what genres some artists fit under (for example, is Interpol indie, or rock?), and there are some genres not as many people listen to (I don't listen to a ton of pop or hip-hop). Also not sure if the male/female vocal performance distinction is necessary

Not a bad idea, just could use some adjustment i think

Anything "rock" from this decade that can't be filed under Indie/Alternative sounds repellent to me. I would have to skip that over entirely. I also couldn't name 5 truly fantastic pure "pop" albums.

Maybe this shouldn't be genre specific. Likely if I participate, I'll only be answering the Indie/Alternative section anyway.

Artist Of The Decade
Description: This award is for an artist who has produced a body of work at a sustained level of overall excellence over the course of a decade. Critical and commercial success should be taken into consideration, with more weight given to critical success(commercial success doesn't have to be huge, there just has to be some modicum of it - even a good handful of indie bands have made it to SNL). The key thing here is that an artist can't win this award for one great song or one great album, only for a body of work over the course of a decade.
1. Radiohead
2. Radiohead
3. Radiohead
4. Radiohead
5. Radiohead

EDIT:

1. Muse
2. Muse
3. Muse
4. Muse
5. Muse

No band that releases songs like Invincible and United States of Eurasia is an embodiment of excellence IMO.

I can name a number of bands that released two truly special albums (like Muse with Origin of Symmetry and Absolution), but three is a bit harder to find. Spoon released the epic Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight/Gimme Fiction/GaGaGaGaGa quadrilogy, however, so I'd give them the top spot. The Shins haven't released a bad album yet this decade either. Radiohead has been a bit more inconsistent this decade, but when they hit it, they hit that shit rite, so there's three. Not sure about four and five, maybe White Stripes and Porcupine Tree.

No band that releases songs like Invincible and United States of Eurasia is an embodiment of excellence IMO.

I can name a number of bands that released two truly special albums (like Muse with Origin of Symmetry and Absolution), but three is a bit harder to find. Spoon released the epic Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight/Gimme Fiction/GaGaGaGaGa quadrilogy, however, so I'd give them the top spot. The Shins haven't released a bad album yet this decade either. Radiohead has been a bit more inconsistent this decade, but when they hit it, they hit that shit rite, so there's three. Not sure about four and five, maybe White Stripes and Porcupine Tree.

Okkervil River has put out at least three stellar albums this decade as well: Down the River of Golden Dreams, Black Sheep Boy, and The Stage Names.

It's interesting to see how few bands have consistently excellent output for an entire decade.

Why don't we all just do a top 10 (or 25) albums of the decade list (without regards to genre) and give the#1 album on each ballot 10 points, each #2, 9 points, etc.? Tally all the ballots and you will have the Interference Top 10 albums of the Decade. Someone would have to be foolish enough to tally it up, though.

LOL @ including names like The Shins, Spoon, and Okkervil River up with SFA (Rings Around the World, Phantom Power, Love Kraft, Hey Venus!, and Dark Days/Light Years in ONE DECADE!!!). Not trying at all to rag on y'all's taste, as you guys are people whose opinions I respect, if not necessarily share, but come on. I have to cry foul, here. I just have to. Five albums of that quality being released doesn't EVER happen. But it did.

Not to mention their success on the pop charts (top 10 albums and singles, both, not to mention a Welsh-language record self-released by the band across multiple formats...which peaked at #11, sold briskly in the States, and was later recognized by Parliament), success with both major and indie labels, equal success in Europe and places like Japan and Brazil, the invention of 5.1 audio for album releases, surround-sound concerts, the first DVD album ever released, animated concerts which pre-dated The Gorillaz by almost a year, Sasquatches galore...the list goes on and puts any band of which I can think to shame. Even my favorites.

I don't think all that highly of Love Kraft and Hey Venus, which is why I personally didn't name SFA. Mwng, Rings Around The World, and DD/LY are stellar, of course.

Like I said, we can just do the five general field categories if that's more to you guys' liking. Like, this would be the whole ballot:

[size=+1]General Field[/size]

Best New Artist
Description: This award is for best artist who 'broke through' this decade and have proven, over the course of a decade, to be the best . It can go to a solo artist or group, it doesn't matter. The artists you list here do NOT necessarily have to have started releasing music on or after January 1, 2000. If an artist started releasing stuff in the mid-late 90s but nobody knew who they were until the early part of this decade when they broke through, that's perfectly fine.

Single Of The Decade
Description: This award is for the best single of the decade, where the single is any song that was a single(as opposed to a commercial single release with b-sides, remixes, etc). This award is for the single that did best combined high musical quality with doing the best job promoting the artist/album to which it was attached. In other words, huge hits that were terrible songs probably shouldn't be nominated, likewise with great songs that weren't hits at all.

Song Of The Decade
Description: Commercial success is no factor whatsoever. Just the best song of the decade.

Album Of The Decade

Artist Of The Decade

I'd rather everyone post individual lists that maybe go into more detail than just having a compiled list.

Yes, it's still happening, with the just the General Field categories. I've received only one ballot so far. Let's give it a few more days.

I have grand ambitions of trying to come up with favorite music of the decade, but there's so much of it, it's a bit overwhelming to think about.

Back
Top Bottom