Intereference Top 50 Artists...of all time (or something)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were supposed to provide 25, and Bonoz2 2012 was going to compile the 50 I think.

Everything is subjective and based off of personal preference. There's no such thing as "best", it would seem ridiculous for anyone to even attempt to provide a list like that.

Ah, thanks, Scumbo.

Why does this even have to be discussed? Ashley can, and WILL correct me if I'm wrong, but, fuck, just rank your favorite 25 artists in order, Namkcur.

We were supposed to provide 25, and Bonoz2 2012 was going to compile the 50 I think.

Everything is subjective and based off of personal preference. There's no such thing as "best", it would seem ridiculous for anyone to even attempt to provide a list like that.

Ok, so it's a favorites list. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

From what I've read, RUSH influenced all bands anyways, so I assume they're the BEST.

:wink:

Maybe you should be removed and replaced.

Perhaps. But then, there'd be no The Traun, and we all know that would make the world would be a much emptier and depressing place. And, do you really want to take responsibility for that act, motherfucker?

I was not mocking them, just mocking past threads.

I promise you one thing, Interference's top 50 is not ready for Scott Walker.

Cool. I will probably have a finished list later tonight. :up:

By the way, would it be okay to send the artist's best album and song with the rankings? For example, 1. U2 (Best album: Zooropa) (Best song: Lemon). I figure that if anyone is interested in the artist they would have an easy jumping off point.

i like that idea screwy, gives something else to look at and possibly talk about.

i could get to about six artists i reckon, and then the rest would all just be guesswork. :shrug:

but if this is supposed to be even a semi-objective list based on some other criteria - influence, sales, most enduring music, whatever

BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRING

:wink:

I was not mocking them, just mocking past threads.

I promise you one thing, Interference's top 50 is not ready for Scott Walker.

If there's very little participation, we can expect the list to look like this:

1. Taylor Swift
2. Rush
3. Scott Walker
4. Shuttlecock
5. Coldplay
6. U2

Done with my list, but only because I'm nerdy enough to have already known what the first 20 or so were already. I'm going on the assumption that most Interferencers spend their spare time making lists as well. Helps me sleep at night.

Your last 12 months list doesn't include Fall Out Boy. Overall, yes. Last 12 months, no. Yes, I am a creeper.

Good point, I glazed over the 12 month qualifier.

Why does this even have to be discussed? Ashley can, and WILL correct me if I'm wrong, but, fuck, just rank your favorite 25 artists in order, Namkcur.

NSW summed it up best there. Pretty much just whatever you believe is your 25 favorite artists. My only hitch, as mentioned, is the solo vs. band issues with some of the hazier bands.

By the way, would it be okay to send the artist's best album and song with the rankings? For example, 1. U2 (Best album: Zooropa) (Best song: Lemon). I figure that if anyone is interested in the artist they would have an easy jumping off point.

I had actually considered making this part of the rules in the first place, so I'm glad someone brought it up. If you want to do this, please do, but it's not a requirement. So, Traviud, you might want to re-submit your list to me. I know you're a busy guy and all, but you can write it on that scrap of paper on the floor over there if you feel like it.

i think i'll sit this one out.

Musket-drill.jpg

Ok guys, I re-upped my premium membership, so you can PM your lists to me.

Hey, Heathcliff, I didn't say anything because I thought it was understood, but please don't post your lists, I'll release all of them after the "reveal".

EDIT: man, I forgot how busy my signature was.

As far as how the placement is going to be determined, I think I'm going to do what LMP suggested in the Top 100 Albums thread last time around.

Hey Mel, I think what would make this process more fair is taking the total points, like you did, and multiplying them by the total lists they made it onto or something. That way, list representation and placement are on a little more even field? I don't know.

Any disagreement?

As far as how the placement is going to be determined, I think I'm going to do what LMP suggested in the Top 100 Albums thread last time around.

Any disagreement?

Well, I suppose that would really solidify what we already know. Because, you know, all those artists that everyone has would all get upped and all the artists less people have would get downed.

Well, I suppose that would really solidify what we already know. Because, you know, all those artists that everyone has would all get upped and all the artists less people have would get downed.

Yeah, it would make the list a more accurate representation of the collective musical taste of Interference. Not sure why that's a bad thing. Especially because

it's with the individual lists where it gets fun

anyway.

So, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers becomes just Tom Petty, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is just Bruce Springsteen, so on and so forth. Is that how you want it? Cuz I think the bands are probably just as important as the solo artist :shrug:

And I like the idea of just putting down the artists important to yourself regardless of historical significance or whatever. So most of mine would be oldtimers, cuz I think the teen years or twenties are when music has the biggest impact on someone. Well, it was for me.

Should be able to put one together in a few days.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. Tom Petty vs. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the more significant of the two would arguably be Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. There's only a few TP solo albums, and they're pretty much all recorded with the Heartbreakers anyways. This way you don't see Tom Petty show up on the list (potentially) twice for the same material.

On the other hand, Bruce is rarely credited as Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, so even though we know the E Street Band are there on most of the albums, we'd just be sticking with Bruce Springsteen.

Yes, I realize this is mostly pedantic.

Back
Top Bottom