I'm starting a thread about the Barenaked Ladies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe no one's mentioned "Light up my room" in this thread. What a beautiful song. "When I fall" is a good song too.

The US iTunes music store just released three live concerts from their summer '04 Au Naturale tour. Two of the shows feature new songs "What A Let Down" and "Bull In A China Shop" and one has an amazing version of the oldie "Lilac Girl". God I love this band :drool:

Okay, so I'm bored and looking through the band index, figuring I'll look up some of my faves (and likely find that people are dissing the hell out of them, that they're uncool, etc). Then I find this thread! :love:

Just one problem - can't believe that no one has "The Old Apartment" on their lists. :drool:

I'd been a casual fan since Gordon, but had never seen them live till about 5 years ago. They played at a weekend festival. There were several bands I was really hyped to see, including one of my favourites, the Foo Fighters. :drool: What ended up happening was...BNL blew me away to the extent that my beloved Foos (and the rest of the weekend, quite honestly) were kinda blah in comparison. I left there a HUGE BNL fan. :heart:

Anyway, my top 10:

The Old Apartment
Blame it on Me
Shoebox
Break Your Heart
Call and Answer
Too Little Too Late
Falling For the First Time
Thanks That Was Fun
Lovers in a Dangerous Time
Careless
Alcohol

Okay, so that was 11. Sue me. ;)

Fah, you lucky, lucky girl!

One more thing - if you guys don't have their dvd Barelaked Nadies, run out and get it RIGHT THIS SECOND! The special feature audio commentary that they do over all of the videos is fucking hilarious, and easily worth the price of admission. Man, what I wouldn't give to hang out with those guys. :drool:

VintagePunk said:
Lovers in a Dangerous Time

Isn't this a Bruce Cockburn song? Or do they have a different song by the same name?

Other than U2, this is my second most times in concert band... 14-15 times (if not more since 1996). Live in Michigan and as you probably know, these guys are huge here. Though we got robbed of a Christmas Show this year :(

I think it is because last year's Christmas Show audience SUCKED!

I went to Steve's performance at Borders promoting his Vanity Project CD last year. It was gorgeous. And with that, I must run because I am presently freaking out about something else... :lol:

fah said:

BNL does their version of Bruce Cockburn's song :up: :up:

:up: a very good cover, I love this song :drool: they have performed it with Cockburn live too.

*my obligatory Cockburn plugging post* :whistle: indra gets bonus points for knowing the Cockburn song :cool:

I know very little about the BNL except this song :reject:

are they releasing anything in actual tangible cd-form anymore? it seems like they've released a shitload of itunes-only stuff, not to mention that barenaked on a stick USB thing.

:grumpy:

When I saw them in December they said that they had recorded a lot of new songs and that they would be releasing a new album this year and they would be touring too :hyper:

VintagePunk said:
Miro, the weekend festival I was referring to where I first saw them is (sorta) in your neck of the woods - Bayfest, in Sarnia. Did you go to that one? :drool:

Nope, though the firs time I saw them was on a radio festival thing, but that was at Pine Knob (now DTE Energy something or another :happy: )

Even my mom has seen the Ladies about 10 times now :D It took her about 5 shows to finally get to hear Break Your Heart. She was so damn happy. :)

fah said:
When I saw them in December they said that they had recorded a lot of new songs and that they would be releasing a new album this year and they would be touring too :hyper:

eeeeexcellent.

they hit the umass amherst mullins center in support of the last two albums (and i believe the place sold out for both shows. i almost didn't get tickets during the maroon tour because of it). they need to come back. :up: i like not having to travel far :lol:

THE THREAD LIVES! glad I left this bookmarked ;)

They're putting out a new album? YEs...maybe I'll finally get to see them live then.

Um, if you check out their blog it's far from certain what the new 'release' will be. Basically Ed and Steve have both posted stating they have recorded about 32-36 songs, none will be cut and that all will be released.

So my theory is a store released album of maybe 14 or so songs, and the rest available for download at their site - like how you can download most of their shows from the past 2 years.

It's a hell of a relief! After 'Everything To Everyone' was kind of ignored and the Christmas/Hannukah album, along with solo projects, I thought BNL may just fall apart - not so!

Yay!

there are a lot of words on the blog. don't have the time to read it right now. much easier to get people who do read it to tell me what's up.

yeah, i like it :up:

edit: that's the link to bank job, right? myspace is acting up for me right now. fucking thing...

Yeah, there are several on there, but Bank Job was the purpose of the e-mail I received.

That, and some hare-brained scheme whereby the more new pals or buddies, or whatever it's called on Myspace they receive, the more new songs they'll release on there. :huh:

It's Steve from BNL here. We're currently holed up in our igloo recording our new album, due to be released in September. In the meantime, we thought we'd give you a taste of some of the songs we're working on. There is a new song up on MySpace! It's called Bank Job, as performed live - for the first time ever - in Uncasville, CT on our last tour back in November and December. Hope this tides you over a bit until the studio version is released. We have three more new songs, all performed live, which we will share with you but we require your help before we do. We currently sit at about 8850 friends on MySpace and in order for the next new song to go up we are reaching out to you guys in hopes that you can help us reach 9500. A third song will be up once we hit 10,000 and the fourth and final song when you help us get to 10,500 friends. Get the idea? So make sure to let all your friends on MySpace, at school, around the office, heck, while you're waiting for your extra hot, no foam, double shot, with whip, skinny latte tell the next guy in line. The more people you tell the sooner you'll get to hear the songs!

and my hatred of myspace continues to grow...to the extent where i'm actually getting impatient with the band. (several bands, not just them)

Glad to see there are lots of other BNL fans out there! :up:

I've never seen them live, but have been a fan of them for ages. My favourite song is "If I Had a Million Dollars," but I love most of their stuff.

VintagePunk said:
I've spent the entire time since I posted that link looking up travel information. :shifty:

:banghead:

I deleted all the emails I got about the cruise and the pre-sales as I wasn't able to go. What info were you looking for??? I think the pre-sale started on March 13 (for fan club members) and it opens up to the public on March 20 ~ I think.

It sounds like fun :up:

fah said:

:banghead:

I deleted all the emails I got about the cruise and the pre-sales as I wasn't able to go. What info were you looking for??? I think the pre-sale started on March 13 (for fan club members) and it opens up to the public on March 20 ~ I think.

It sounds like fun :up:

You can't go? :(

I'm not a paid member of their fanclub, just on the mailing list, so I didn't get the e-mail till last night. I was just going over the package, the faqs, the itinerary, and drooling over the ship.

Today, I'm putting into effect Operation Convince-Two-Other-People-to-Come-With-Me, so I can actually afford it. :hyper:

I do have a question, though. From what I read last night, it sounded like they've done something like this before (although I could be wrong, it was late and I was crazy-excited)? If they have, do you know how quickly it sold out? In other words, would I have to book first thing Monday morning?

VintagePunk said:

You can't go? :(

I'm not a paid member of their fanclub, just on the mailing list, so I didn't get the e-mail till last night. I was just going over the package, the faqs, the itinerary, and drooling over the ship.

Today, I'm putting into effect Operation Convince-Two-Other-People-to-Come-With-Me, so I can actually afford it. :hyper:

I do have a question, though. From what I read last night, it sounded like they've done something like this before (although I could be wrong, it was late and I was crazy-excited)? If they have, do you know how quickly it sold out? In other words, would I have to book first thing Monday morning?

Sadly, I can't go :(

I just checked the band's site and there are a lot of fans going. I don't know if they have done something like this before...I will check and find out.

Back
Top Bottom