If You Shout... vs. Late '60s Psych, Garage, Surf, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy fuck, that comp is still kicking my ass all up over the place. That Ofege song that I posted, in particular, has brought me to tears, today, it is so magnificent. I already knew some of their stuff from a whole bunch of Nigerian funk/psych/rock compilations from the era in question which occupied a bit of my time, within the last two months, but had never heard this particular song. I have tracked down their records and am gradually making my way through them. Really, the only problem (apart from what I consider an over-reliance on funk and and underuse of "true" psych tropes) is that I can never make it through their debut without listening to "It's Not Easy" three or fifteen times, in a row. God DAMN, them shits is good.

Just in case, here it is just one more time. It will really kill me if y'all don't at least give it one listen. Even if you hate it, at least drop a post and let me know that you gave it a chance, you know?

YouTube - ofege it ain't easy

As a general update, I should also point out that this has been an ABSURDLY productive undertaking, for me. I've unfortunately not had enough time/motivation to get into a lot of surf stuff (the Cowabunga! set and my old Trashmen records, which I already had before I started this, have been my only real forays), but this has otherwise completely changed my outlook on music, its history, and my place within it all, as a listener. Rarely have I felt so energized as during these last several months, listening to often two or three records EVERY DAY that I'd never even heard of, previously. My list of top '60s records has RADICALLY changed, in the wake of this. Like, seriously. Black Monk Time is now in my top five, if not top three.

And I'm not done, yet! Can't wait to hear what comes next, but here are some discoveries, favorites, and even records I previously thought weren't all that but which I now love with all my heart:

black_monk_time-the_monks_480.jpg

the-psychedelic-sounds-of1.jpg

img157.jpg

The%2B13th%2BFloor%2BElevators-Bull%2BOf%2BThe%2BWoods.jpg

106580.jpg

presenttense.jpg

baroques.jpg

The%2BChocolate%2BWatch%2BBand%2B-%2BThe%2BInner%2BMystique%2B%281968%29.jpg

lsun5306.jpg

Los%2BSaicos%2B%28Front%29.jpg

Shadows%20of%20knight.jpg

The+Ceyleib+People+-+Tanyet+%281967%29.jpg

AK_174.jpg

love+da+capo+1.jpg

july+cd+front.gif

827f11f4a7d0a252626b7e5752155c58dde70046_m.jpg

Margo+Guryan+-+Take+A+Picture.jpg

silver_apples-contact.jpg

Silverapple_contact.jpg

Haymarket+Square+-+Magic+Lantern+-+front.jpg

And, well...that's good enough, for now. I don't even want to get started talking about all the amazing compilations I've stumbled across. Ugh. Too much amazing shit to hear!

Listened to the Ofege track, "It's Not Easy" and really liked it. The rhythm section sounded very 1960s, if that makes any sense. Nice guitar, but it was the voice and melody that really stood out. I don't know what I was expecting, since I don't know a damn thing about "psych" music, but I wasn't expecting that voice. Where are they from? Anyway, it was a really pleasant, feel-good song. I could see myself listenin to it drivin around the city in the summer with the top down. (If I had a convertible).

To hell with mind-expanding...these fucking behemoths will fry your fucking brain out of coherence:

qx2w05.jpg

Fsol_-_amorphous_androgynous_-_ampbeiymv2.jpg

These vids are not necessarily of the heaviest tracks, as I had trouble finding a lot of those. Still, even if they won't all have you tripping by proxy, these are some fucking killer tracks. There's a lot more where these came from, too.

YouTube - July - The Way

YouTube - Espers - Mansfield and Cyclops

YouTube - David Axelrod - The Mental Traveler

YouTube - Miles Davis - Rated X

YouTube - Ultimate Spinach - 04 - (Ballad of) The Hip Death Goddess

Back
Top Bottom