Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meh. If you liked Iggy Azalea's album...now that would be pretty fucked up.

Last edited:
She's from Mullumbimby, a tiny country town two hours south of Brisbane.

I'm certain she's the only person from that town who's fucked ASAP Rocky.

Blue Sky Black Death - A Heap of Broken Images:

This makes me retroactively sad that they've moved so far towards being an ambient duo and away from being hip hop producers. I wish they could get together with a big name, that would be one of my favorite albums of all time. The first disc here is sublime, the second disc suffers from some occasional less-than-stellar MCs, but still, a lovely listen and worth the time investment. It's two separate entities, so you could easily listen to it in two sittings, if necessary.

I have no idea if this has been talked about at all yet, and I'm not going through 17 pages to find out, but I gotta say the new Jay-Z album (Holy Grail) is actually quite not-terrible. And Timbaland does one of the best DJ Premier impressions I've ever heard on Picasso Baby, it legit fooled me into thinking it was Primo. Part II (On the Run) has a pretty great beat too, although my wife plays that song around the house so often I'm already getting sick of it.

What up dave.

That album is not even close to new.

Well, no, I realize it's been out for quite a while. It's new to me I suppose. "Latest" would have been a better adjective to choose in that case.

Although I will say there is some absolute garbage on this album, it's better than I expected going in, a pleasant surprise.

cobl04 said:
DaveC is the OG hip-hop purist.

:lol: Yeah, in hind sight that was a stupid name for that thread, I probably would have been right there with you guys in bitching about it if I hadn't made it myself. Oh well.

Just joshing man, how are you? MagnaCartaHolyGrail absolutely sucked if you ask me. I don't think he's released a good album since Black Album, though he's had a fair few good songs in that time and was great live.

I've been slack as fuck on hip-hop this year. Gotta lift my game.

My favorite part of that thread title was that it seemed like you were concerned about people loving Flo Rida or some shit on a U2 message board.

Just joshing man, how are you? MagnaCartaHolyGrail absolutely sucked if you ask me. I don't think he's released a good album since Black Album, though he's had a fair few good songs in that time and was great live.

I've been slack as fuck on hip-hop this year. Gotta lift my game.

I like Picasso Baby and On The Run like I mentioned, and Holy Grail is a good song (although I may like Justin Timberlake's portion of the song more so than the Jay-Z portion). Oceans and Tom Ford are good ones as well, but again Oceans could be better more so because of Frank Ocean. La Familia and the song with Rick Ross are total crap though, I think overall it's his best (other than Watch the Throne but that's again all because of Kanye) album since The Black Album, although that's not saying too much.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a masterpiece, I just expected a steaming pile of horse manure and was pleasantly surprised.

I will say something though that should elicit some discussion: I hated Good Kid m.A.A.d City, listened to it twice all the way through and couldn't stand it, I took it off my iTunes playlist immediately at that point. I read an article that said it was as good as Illmatic the other day and almost threw up in my mouth. Illmatic is not only the best hip hop album of all time, it's one of the best period (I put it in the Dark Side of the Moon/Led Zeppelin IV/Abbey Road sort of class). I was honestly floored when I read that from a professional music critic.

My favorite part of that thread title was that it seemed like you were concerned about people loving Flo Rida or some shit on a U2 message board.

:lol: Yeah I've seen some of my posts around from back when I was active, man I could really be a shit head at times. It's like they're written by a completely different person.

I think looking back that what I was most concerned about was that the thread would degenerate into nothing but chatter about the latest Soulja Boy single or the merits of crunk or something rather than a discussion about the kind of hip hop I wanted to talk about. Still, what a pretentious little fuck I could be. :lmao:

I like Picasso Baby and On The Run like I mentioned, and Holy Grail is a good song (although I may like Justin Timberlake's portion of the song more so than the Jay-Z portion). Oceans and Tom Ford are good ones as well, but again Oceans could be better more so because of Frank Ocean. La Familia and the song with Rick Ross are total crap though, I think overall it's his best (other than Watch the Throne but that's again all because of Kanye) album since The Black Album, although that's not saying too much.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a masterpiece, I just expected a steaming pile of horse manure and was pleasantly surprised.

I will say something though that should elicit some discussion: I hated Good Kid m.A.A.d City, listened to it twice all the way through and couldn't stand it, I took it off my iTunes playlist immediately at that point. I read an article that said it was as good as Illmatic the other day and almost threw up in my mouth. Illmatic is not only the best hip hop album of all time, it's one of the best period (I put it in the Dark Side of the Moon/Led Zeppelin IV/Abbey Road sort of class). I was honestly floored when I read that from a professional music critic.

Why did you hate it?

The only thread that might possibly bring back

MiaTHUNDER

Ahh I miss Mia so much, even when seeing new pictures of her cute dog on FB. :(

I miss Mia so much that I'm willing to ignore DaveC's opinion on one of the best albums of the past five years so I can just think about how rad Mia is instead.

Dave what is actually good with you man are you still kickin around Canada or have you been sent to some far flung corner of the globe?

Hey Gabe, good to see you're still around buddy. I'm in Toronto now, working for a bank. Been out of the army since January 2012 when my contract came up.

What's new?

That is great, but I'd truly like to know why you didn't like good kid m.A.A.d city. Not being snarky. I'm surprised that it was a shock to you that critics compared it to Illmatic. I think it was a fair comparison... it was Kendrick's major breakthrough, and it features some really outstanding lyrics about life, much like Illmatic did. Illmatic's better, but good kid m.A.A.d city was excellent in its own right, and it was critically acclaimed as well as commercially successful, so I'm interested to know what about it turned you off so much.

I honestly can't speak to specifics. I heard it last months ago, and I admittedly only listened to it twice as I mentioned. I do remember not really being a fan of his style, and none of the beats I heard really got me excited. Both times though I wasn't able to focus on the lyrics (I once had it on while I was cleaning the house) so in fairness I'd be willing to give it another shot if that's really the strong point of the album.

Back
Top Bottom