Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, just heard a Yelawolf song for the first time and it's kind of uncanny how much he sounds like Andre. Is this a thing that you guys have discussed before? It seems like he's got skills, but it might be too much of an imitation for me to really enjoy it.

yelawolf has fallen off so much in the past couple years that it's not even funny...

in other news though, HYPE ALERT HYPE ALERT

future released "i won" ft kanye last night and it's got me all in my feels this morning. future is the king of the rap ballad right now, no question.

http://youtu.be/2C33Kq3kHWY

Man I do not dig that at all. Far too heavy on the autotune and it's got that artificial hi-hat sound (if there's a more accurate term for that please let me know) in the production that I fucking cannot stand. Still looking forward to the album though.

yeah, the autotune is definitely heavy, but with certain artists, it's grown on me. i don't need to hear weezy going overboard with it, but future, i'll let have some leniency. i thought ye's verse was especially weak though.

I have heard absolutely nothing by Future outside of that shitty song he did with Rihanna.

are you looking for recommendations? he has several mixtapes before pluto came out, all of which produced street hits.

he also has a good amount of more love/feeling oriented songs, which can be good for people who don't always want to hear about drugs or whatever.

funnily enough, i've never heard the rihanna song you're talking about because i avoid her work like the plague.

oh yeah, and atmosphere released a new song off their upcoming album today...probably more the sound people here are into. beat is nice, but the lyrics are zzzzz to me. i'm just not almost 40 like slug is lol https://soundcloud.com/rhymesayers/atmosphere-kanye-west

I think I'll listen to Pluto before Honest drops. I know too many Future fans to not give him a chance.

Atmosphere is a great band and I can't wait for their new album. I love that backpacker shit they put out, really resonates with this old soul.

also a plus for atmosphere: ant and slug are exceedingly nice people. i have a lot of respect for what they've done for rap in minneapolis. i do wish rhymesayers and doomtree didn't have the monopoly on rap here like they do, but there are some awesome people my age that are changing that.

i'm over here dying at that j cole tweet though...him and the rest of the world hahaha

With Crooked Smile, Cole tried his best to dethrone Drake as King of the Lames, but he successfully defended his territory with Own It's Phil Collins-level cheese.

He better watch the throne though.

Last edited:
I do not like Drake. I like Drake as a human being, he seems cool and I like that he plays it clean and doesn't trash everyone like Hopsin does, but his albums are overlong and boring IMO. I don't know how people sit through Take Care on a regular basis. If I want that sound, I'll listen to House of Balloons, which is more consistent and has greater lyrical depth.

I'd probably like the guy more if he wasn't being held up as a savior when he's just an average MC and lyricist. Without 40's production (I love 40, made me really sad to see he suffers from MS), I wouldn't even bother.

I'll admit that I rarely listen to his albums in full, but that's the case for a lot of my listening these days. I can totally understand the whole savior thing though, since I have those feelings about a few rappers currently.

had no idea 40 has MS...that's awful. shoutout to any fellow human suffering from a chronic disease cause that shit is soul-sucking to say the least.

was listening to the yg album today while walking my dog and still digging it. "sorry momma" is fantastic. I'm such a sucker for that whole rapper does apology/thank you/tribute song for their mom trope.

This appeared yesterday and sums up my feelings on Drake well.

Drake_nothing_was_the_same-01.jpg

I have disliked his work ever since I first heard him drop a deflating fart of a verse on What's My Name and ruin an otherwise good song. I just think he's a really, really average MC. The only verse of his I've ever enjoyed is on Fuckin Problems (I do love that verse though).

i'm not sure that i ever claimed he wasn't an average MC...but you know what he's way better at than a lot of rappers? conveying relatable emotions. i've never gotten any overwhelming feelings from someone like kendrick in the same way that i do from drake. and that's because kendrick is clinical and drake is not. and since a lot of times, i use music to help regulate or match my emotions, someone like kendrick isn't terribly helpful because he's too in his head which is exactly what i'm trying to escape. :shrug:

"shook ones part II" is forever my jam.

please tell me somebody in this thread listened to lil ugly mane's mista thug isolation from a couple years ago. easily one of the weirdest producer/rappers out.

Really gotta get on The Infamous.

I get where you're coming from Cass... and I know a lot of people love Drake because he's got that more emotional side. To me, personally, it's always just come across as lame, and if I'm looking for emotion in rap I'll stick to my boys Outkast, plus De La Soul, Kanye even. Drake's music has never connected with me and as LM said the more r&b type stuff is being done better (IMO) by the likes of the Weeknd and Frank Ocean.

ehhh the weeknd's only decent project is house of balloons. how many times have you guys listened to kiss land?? nobody's talking about that now and pretty much everyone forgot about it within weeks. same goes for frank ocean, imo...nostalgia, ultra was great and then channel orange was pretty bland. i need to see what else he can do though. supposedly, his latest album is nearly finished.

de la soul and outkast just can't speak to my millenial soul like drake can.

Echoes of Silence is excellent and personally I loved Channel Orange, as did a lot of people...that was a huge breakthrough for him and was AOTY according to Pazz and Jop. I think he's only going to get better.

As far as Drake and emotion goes, are we talking about lyrics or mic work? Because Kendrick is twice the MC Drake is as far as conveying emotion with his voice. Drake always has the same monotone delivery, which is supposed to mean he's emotional about something, I guess (apparently he's emotional all the time), but he could never dominate a track with multiple voices and deliveries like Kendrick does on Maad City. He's just not in that league. Lyrically, sure, Heartbreak Drake is an emotional guy. And that's cool. But even though he has good flow, he seems incapable of switching it up for the song. Eminem, for instance, used to do that, but now all he does his yell like a jackass regardless of what he's saying.

Last edited:
it's telling that you didn't say a word about kiss land...

"underground kings," "trophies," "days in the east," "worst behavior," "hold on, we're going home," "the language," and "versace" all have the same flow? c'mon now.

look. i like kendrick and respect what he's doing, but no matter what i say, you're always gonna say that he's the best at whatever. and that's fine. i don't share that opinion though and i probably never will.

Oh I really like Kiss Land, I just wouldn't use it as proof that he has more than one excellent project. Kiss Land and Wanderlust are great songs. Overall, I'd place it about on par with Thursday.

Not really fair mixing vocal and rapped songs when the argument is that Drake doesn't show enough emotion as a rapper. I wasn't even arguing that he has the same flow all the time, just the same tone.

And I didn't make the Kendrick/Drake comparison initially, I was just responding to you saying that he was a "clinical" rapper. The two are really nothing alike and have two very different audiences, but Kendrick is a very emotional MC.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be antagonistic or anything, so agree to disagree!

Last edited:
even if you remove the vocal songs, the tone of the other songs still varies between say, "underground kings" and "worst behavior." either way, you brought up both his delivery and flow first.

I also think you'd be surprised at how much their audiences cross over. why else would drake put kendrick on a track of his?

anyway, yeah, agree to disagree.

so, has anyone listened to lil ugly mane or not?

Back
Top Bottom