Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was down a Wikipedia wormhole about NWA and stumbled upon this, apparently from a very young Dre:

WTF is my only reaction.

I was down a Wikipedia wormhole about NWA and stumbled upon this, apparently from a very young Dre:

WTF is my only reaction.

As far as old school electro tracks from the mid 80s go, it's not that bad.

Just had my first listen to Tetsuo and Youth. I hadn't heard much from Lupe since Food and Liquor just from lack of paying attention but this is really good :up:

I totally missed that post cobbler, gonna check it out tonight :up:

EDIT: It's really good. On first listen I almost think I like it better than anything on Surf.

This is also really good (it's old but I just came across it today for the first time in forever):

Last edited:
Wow, that's a great track.

What does Andre 3000 actually do these days? He's such a great MC. He should release/collaborate more.

It really is.

I could not agree with you more, a musically active 3000 is the number one thing I want in the world, but I think he's just really happy out of the limelight, being a family man, probably kicking around a heap of different film/art stuff he's working on. He's been quoted as saying he's pretty selective with tracks he jumps on (if I'm not mistaken this Erykah Badu song is the only thing he's done all year). I don't hold my breath he'll ever release anything again.

It really is.

I could not agree with you more, a musically active 3000 is the number one thing I want in the world, but I think he's just really happy out of the limelight, being a family man, probably kicking around a heap of different film/art stuff he's working on. He's been quoted as saying he's pretty selective with tracks he jumps on (if I'm not mistaken this Erykah Badu song is the only thing he's done all year). I don't hold my breath he'll ever release anything again.

That entire mixtape is really good. Erykah had been gone far too long.

I never thought I'd see the day when Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 would cover Hello It's Me, but I'm thrilled that it's here.

Damn man I'm digging this Vince Staples album. If any of you know of any other hip hop with this kind of industrial/ambient instrumental vibe, please let me know.

Dalek
cLOUDDEAD
Techno Animal
The new one from Earl Sweatshirt

Just off the top of my head.

Since we've got a thread going for overall lists, I'll post my hip hop list right here. #1 is obvious, but there were so many other great projects that went relatively under the radar. If you guys have questions about any of these or want a track pick from them, let me know:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
3. Milo - So the Flies Don't Come
4. L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us in Like Family
5. Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access
6. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
7. Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
8. BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah - Sour Soul
9. Vince Staples - Summertime 06
10. Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Surf

Since we've got a thread going for overall lists, I'll post my hip hop list right here. #1 is obvious, but there were so many other great projects that went relatively under the radar. If you guys have questions about any of these or want a track pick from them, let me know:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
3. Milo - So the Flies Don't Come
4. L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us in Like Family
5. Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access
6. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
7. Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
8. BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah - Sour Soul
9. Vince Staples - Summertime 06
10. Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Surf

Thanks for posting this. That Milo album is something I have seen mentioned in a few places; I will give it a try. I enjoyed Earl's album and loved the Staples album.

I'm starting to think I appreciate Kendrick's work more than I enjoy it. In terms of hip-hop I definitely gravitate toward the nihilistic stuff rather than the affirmational/inspirational.

Absolutely, 100% listen to Lil Ugly Mane's album then. It's free on his bandcamp and is nasty, misanthropic industrial hip hop with just a few gorgeous streaks of humanity to make it go down easier:

https://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/album/oblivion-access

Horrible pen name aside (he's about to retire it), he is one of the most creative men in hip hop today. His compilation album Third Side of Tape (also released this year) runs the gamut across rap, ambient, punk, heavy metal and more and all of it is done skillfully while tying it into a coherent set of lyrical themes.

Only a couple of honourable mentions for Three Stacks and NONE pre-Stankonia? And Drake over Kendrick for 2015?! Hahahahahahaha fuck outta here.

Great read though, thanks for posting.

Only a couple of honourable mentions for Three Stacks and NONE pre-Stankonia? And Drake over Kendrick for 2015?! Hahahahahahaha fuck outta here.

Great read though, thanks for posting.

Drake was a bunch of memes in 2015. Over TPAB? It really seems like it got too hard or too long for the writer after Biggie got shot because it gets real lazy and often absurd from that point. Jeezy and Lil Wayne (twice) :|

Up till then though I think it's pretty on point. At least I listened to a shitload of old school tracks I hadn't heard in forever.

Man, DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" is so good. Yeah, it's like mostly instrumental. But still.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom