Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't imagine how much of a head trip To Pimp a Butterfly would be on psychedelics. I would recommend hearing the album sober first because the lyrical content is so dense and quality, but after that, go to town. For Sale would be out of this world.

King Kunta is a mothaphukkin' jam

Yeah I heard that one. Very indebted to Miles, which is always a good thing IMO. The lyrics in places are a bit after-school-special, though.

I'm not really sure what "after-school-special" means? But I wasn't blown away by the lyrics.

Miles does come through pretty strongly, particularly on the Nothing/Something Came to Me tracks.

Miracle, Slip Slide, Go, Sunday Candy my other favs.

Tomorrow night, 7 PM:

Kendrick Lamar
Ice Cube w/ MC Ren, DJ Yella and possibly Dr. Dre (I hesitate to call this a full NWA reunion, but it will come close)
Snoop Dogg
Schoolboy Q
Ab-Soul
Jay Rock

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

But not the celebrity basketball game, Kobe Bryant genius talks, Erykah Badu and Janelle party, sneakercon, the dance contest, free swag, or any of the other fun of the convention.

:sad:

(And all the free Sprite samples you can drink)

Should have gotten the vicodin to enjoy that shit rite.

Tomorrow night, 7 PM:

Kendrick Lamar
Ice Cube w/ MC Ren, DJ Yella and possibly Dr. Dre (I hesitate to call this a full NWA reunion, but it will come close)
Snoop Dogg
Schoolboy Q
Ab-Soul
Jay Rock

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

fuck :up::up:

Tell us about the show after the after-after-party wraps up.

That was a lot of fun. Snoop and Ice Cube put on high energy sets, Cube sounds passionate and intense (he's probably well rested). MC Ren not so much, dude sounds old as fuck. Regardless, the NWA tracks were fire, Gangsta Gangsta was a nice surprise. Snoop had some great theatrics and brought out the MOTHERFUCKIN LADY OF RAGE who delivered a couple of great verses. Mostly kept to Doggystyle shit. The old guard held it down.

TDE is where the most of the problems were. Most of the artists only got 2-4 songs, with only Schoolboy Q getting a normal set for an opener (not a fan, but he was surprisingly entertaining). Ab-Soul was a little bitch boy and ducked out after 3 songs because he didn't like the crowd response. Axl Rose tier move right there. Jay Rock and, in an unlisted surprise, Isaiah Rashad were awesome in their short sets. That being said, it was a damn shame that none of them collaborated together in any capacity. No Jay Rock on Money Trees, no Kendrick on Collard Greens. That was inexplicable, considering they were standing a matter of feet away. Regardless, a good set of openers.

But I've got to say, Kendrick's set was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced at a concert. He sounded fine enough, but all he did was sleepwalk through the usual GKMC tracks, then he tacked on a couple from TPAB (by far and away the highlights) and left. I'm starting to think TPAB is the new Pop; he sold less than he assumed he would and now he's ashamed of the record. Even chickenshit U2 plays their awful new music and has some pride about it. TPAB is one of the best and most acclaimed records in years and Kendrick acts like it doesn't exist because GKMC is a bigger seller. I don't even know what to say at this point. Dude acts like he's some divisive prophet but won't risk challenging his crowd with his new art. Oh, and NO SECTION.80. GKMC was the beginning and end of his career, apparently.

I'll pay to see him at his own show because I can't miss the opportunity to even hear 4-5 from such a wonderful album, but I think putting TPAB on the back burner in order to please the crowd is really hypocritical of a man that asks if we'll remain fans "if the shit hits the fan."

Ugh, I'll get it over it. I was just heavily anticipating the performance of one of my favorite albums in years and got i and King Kunta. Along with that set, there were some strangely absent guest verses, poor sound quality throughout, a full hour wait for the first act and, sadly, no Dr. Dre. I heard people complaining about that on the train. It didn't bother me all that much, but it all seemed a bit hollow without him.

So what could have been one of my favorite shows of all time was actually a bit of a dud. A series of low quality samples instead of the real thing. But I enjoyed myself enough that I would go see pretty much everyone at their own show. I hope Kendrick and Snoop come back soon on their tours and that Jay Rock drops an album soon so I can see him again.

Last edited:
Ehh you've been to enough hip-hop shows to know that they are very hit-and-miss. I like ScHoolboy Q, surely he did Man of the Year (aka Chromatics' Cherry)?

As for Kendrick... totally get why you're disappointed but I wouldn't have gone in expecting much at an abridged-set line-up show like that. He also isn't really touring the album, so I think you're being a little harsh on him. If he did a tour of his own shows, and roped in a live band, it would be phenomenal, I'm sure. When I saw him in 2012 he was high-energy, played a longer set but the bass was far too heavy, which detracted from the gig a bit. You couldn't really hear the Beach House sample in Money Trees, which is like the whole thing. I certainly haven't heard him talking down about TPAB in terms of sales or response or whatever, so unless you've got a link, I really think you're just projecting.

And I mean this performance alone proves you wrong regarding his live performances. Might have been the case in your experience, but here's him extending one of the more thought-provoking songs on the album to six minutes, with the most interesting choreographed rap dancing we've seen this side of Runaway, plus passionate ad-libbed verses.

Bummed it was a bummer for you but given his live stuff since TPAB's release has been super sporadic I wouldn't get too down about it. Live hip-hop has been frustrating ever since it became mainstream. In all the stuff I've seen, Outkast and Kanye are the only two who have put up a show that can stand with the likes of U2, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Bon Iver, Bruce Springsteen, Broken Social Scene, LCD Soundsystem and a handful of others in terms of live performances.

All that said, I will be somewhat disappointed if Kendrick doesn't end up touring this album full band, just because it would be so fucking incredible.

I certainly haven't heard him talking down about TPAB in terms of sales or response or whatever, so unless you've got a link, I really think you're just projecting.

The sales disappointment stuff came up the week TPAB was released. He posted a really depressed sounding tweet:

35b372088d85b7dff92f2dcabdeee47c.562x1000x1.jpg

And then deleted it minutes later. Made me really sad to read that; even U2 doesn't make as big a deal about their sales numbers as all that. I hope it doesn't impact his art down the road like it did with them. Am I reading too much into it? Yes. Is there something there? I honestly think it has impacted his setlist choices somewhat.

As far as Schoolboy goes, he played ALL DA HITZ and the crowd was so crap up front that he called them out on it. He called the people in the front row "old niggas" because they were sitting down. :lol: Good for him, at least he didn't leave like Ab-Soul.

Ab-Soul was funny when he left though. "I've got time for one more...but hey, if you don't want me out here, I can go smoke some more weed."

Okay well that's a bit of a bummer. I would have expected much higher figures too, particularly given how well it was received the world over. Tons of people got it. What were GKMC's first-week figures like? Hopefully when the year-end lists start rolling in he'll see it is very much loved.

GKMC did 242k to TPAB's 324k, but sales tailed off quickly for TPAB whereas its predecessor is still selling very well because Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe and Poetic Justice kept sales up long after Swimming Pools dropped off the charts. There have been no major hits from TPAB, which I assume is a function of the album being so damn moody and sonically coherent. It's hard to pull individual tracks from it, let alone hit singles. None of this is to say, however, that it's anything less than wonderful. As you said, it will dominate the year-end lists and maybe that will change his view of its reception (which has been very positive).

Thanks for reminding me about the Glastonbury performance. I need to go back and watch that.

FWIW, Kendrick did have a full band up there and the saxamaphone was sexy hot when it was played, but since almost nothing from TPAB was, it went largely wasted.

Also, FWIW, I had a fantastic time during Kendrick's set, despite not being a fan of M.A.A.D. City.

I was all excited to go get some tickets for the Wayhome festival in a few weeks - Kendrick and Neil Young at the top of the list - now I'm not so sure I want to spend $350 and a weekend in the muddy woods to hear a set like that. :hmm:

If he's headlining, you'll get 4-5 from TPAB. We could have gotten 3, but Alright was cut off because he ran out of time (I forgot to mention that bullshit).

I had a moment during Swimming Pools last night. I saw that song live before it hit the radio and became a big hit. There was under a thousand people in the audience. Last night, there must have been 15k and despite the great bill, Kendrick got the biggest reaction. It's so cool to see a great artist hit it big for real.

He's headlining Saturday night - Neil is being billed as "the" headliner but he's on Friday. Sam Smith is headlining Sunday so at least I'll get to leave early and beat the traffic if I do end up going :up:

Travis and I will disagree until the end of time on Kendrick being cut off. I believe he was using Alright as outro music while the stage turned around for the best band, because the music didn't just shut off, it came to what felt like a rehearsed close.

Yeah, it's cool that they figured out a live band arrangement like that for that beat. They're damn good too.

Surf is really starting to grow on me a lot.

Every time I listen to Surf (or anytime they're with Chance live) I appreciate The SoX more. They're simply excellent musicians.

Back
Top Bottom