Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eadbaa73.jpg

five days!

To Pimp a Butterfly is still running laps around everything released this year and certainly in the hip hop sector. For Sale alone makes every jazzy beat that Tyler's created seem unnecessary and half-assed, especially the ones tacked onto Cherry Bomb. That warmth, the details, I mean wow what a stellar beat. Devil in a New Dress level.

Last edited:
Yeah it's so great. How Much a Dollar Cost remains my favourite track. Institutionalised has grown on me a lot, love that song. Sadly the middle loses me a bit, it's all good but it just sort of passes me by. I still haven't had a chance to sit down with the lyrics yet, looking forward to that after the comedy festival's over.

I will say something though that should elicit some discussion: I hated Good Kid m.A.A.d City, listened to it twice all the way through and couldn't stand it, I took it off my iTunes playlist immediately at that point. I read an article that said it was as good as Illmatic the other day and almost threw up in my mouth. Illmatic is not only the best hip hop album of all time, it's one of the best period (I put it in the Dark Side of the Moon/Led Zeppelin IV/Abbey Road sort of class). I was honestly floored when I read that from a professional music critic.

You fucking idiot.

For shame.

Seriously, that thing is a fucking masterpiece. I felt like I had an epiphany listening to it. Genius.

Without getting too specific ( :wink: ), last night I went on a hunt for some psychedelic hip hop. I went through Acid Rap, Acid Rap 2, Acid Rap again, Madvillainy, a bunch of stuff by the Underachievers, a whole random other tracks, and then GKMC twice. And Acid Rap again as I was falling asleep.

I slept on so much great shit for so long just cause it was "too weird". That's crazy considering some of the wacky-ass rock I listen to. Thank fuck for that dude with the big bag of shrooms who showed up in November, I had quite the stick up my ass before then for a long time. Being married fucking sucked and he showed up at just the right moment. :up:

Can't imagine how much of a head trip To Pimp a Butterfly would be on psychedelics. I would recommend hearing the album sober first because the lyrical content is so dense and quality, but after that, go to town. For Sale would be out of this world.

Can't imagine how much of a head trip To Pimp a Butterfly would be on psychedelics. I would recommend hearing the album sober first because the lyrical content is so dense and quality, but after that, go to town. For Sale would be out of this world.

My plan is to play GKMC a few times first and fully get into it (which should only really take a couple days, I get the sense I'm going to listen to it over and over for the next while) before moving on to To Pimp A Butterfly. I'm most definitely going to check it out before too long though.

I'm listening to it again stone sober, it's still just as amazing.

Comparing Good Kid with To Pimp a Butterfly is like Dark Side vs The Wall or Who's Next vs. Quadrophenia, the former is always going to be more iconic and stands alone better apart from its concept, but we're talking about genre classics no matter what. TPAB is bigger, bolder, stranger and just as emotionally affecting as its predecessor, but it requires more attention (which it rewards in spades).

TPAB is one of those albums I will always wish I could hear again for the first time, hope you enjoy your first listen as much as I did.

Acid Rap 2...? :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfsM2Xc8tKs

It's not as good as the first one (especially the second half once it starts splicing in a couple live songs that sound like they were recorded on a potato). Still interesting up to that point, I switched to Madvillainy (I think - the exact chronology is a little fuzzy in my memory :shifty: ) after about 5 or 6 minutes of the live stuff though.

EDIT: I adore the chorus to Backstreet Freestyle (yes I'm listening to it again). This whole thing is so fucking good.

That's fan made. I knew it had to be dodgy. Acid Rap was huge, it made no sense that I didn't know fuck all about this one.

He actually has a proper new album out with his side project The Social Experiment.

Madvillainy is just incredible, I listen to it all the time.

I had no idea, the cover art looks pretty legit so I figured this one probably was too. :shrug: Good lookin' out, I'll try The Social Experiment.

EDIT: Just realized it's called "Surf". :up:

Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst is easily the most emotionally affecting hip hop song I've heard in years.

"Just promise me you'll tell this story when you make it big
And if I die before your album drop I hope *bang bang bang*"

I know it's coming now and it makes me jump every time at how abrupt it is and how it ends the verse. Genius. The way the second verse fades away as the narrator implores the listener not to ignore her and insists she won't fade away. Genius.

Even the skit is brilliant, even if it's a bit long it adds so much to the story, I only realized today that the "dying of thirst" lady comes along right after the homie's brother just got shot, and at the end she's talking about "the start of a new life, your real life" which makes it especially poignant considering a life had just been taken away. It *is* the start of a new life for the guy who's brother has been killed, in so many ways.

Fuck, the level of intelligence and depth is absolutely stunning, on this whole thing.

How in the sweet merciful fuck did Macklemore beat this out for all those Grammys? This is a Jethro Tull-level robbery. Holy shit.

Back
Top Bottom