Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best thing about RTJ 2 is that it made me go back to the first RTJ. I wonder why I forgot about that record so quickly. Beast of an album. New one isn't quite as good but still so much fun.

Now that I'm buying some hip-hop, I am increasingly aware of how many of those albums carry that bloody "parental advisory" tag on the cover. How much of that shit was just a veiled effort to slow African American culture's movement into the mainstream? I would wager quite a bit.

The new Wu-Tang actually has a cover and a release date. Dec 2.

608ddad1.jpg

01 Ruckus in B Minor
02 Felt
03 40th Street Black / We Will Fight
04 Mistaken Identity
05 Hold the Heater
06 Crushed Egos
07 Keep Watch
08 Miracle
09 Preacher's Daughter
10 Pioneer the Frontier
11 Necklace
12 Ron O'Neal
13 A Better Tomorrow
14 Never Let Go
15 Wu-Tang Reunion

Really like this track too Listen to Wu-Tang Clan's "Ruckus In B Minor" | Complex

Now that I'm buying some hip-hop, I am increasingly aware of how many of those albums carry that bloody "parental advisory" tag on the cover. How much of that shit was just a veiled effort to slow African American culture's movement into the mainstream? I would wager quite a bit.

One might think so, and while the song that started it all was Darling Nikki by Prince, the majority of the first artists/songs that drew the attention of Tipper's organization were white. It got kinda funny tho because after a while it seemed that a lot of hip hop got the label, imo, because the adults just couldn't be bothered to try and figure out what rappers were saying. Or at least that's what we told ourselves as kids lol. The labels just made us want the records more.

Sent from my ass crack

So, I just stumbled on this album:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/foesum/perfection/

I don't like G-Funk much at all, but this fucker is, forgive the pun, perfect. Great grooves, decent MCs, it doesn't overstay its welcome and it's not over-the-top in its pursuit of bitches :wink:. Also, there's like one skit on it and it fits in really well, instead of feeling out of place.

I love this album. So much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRqRqPPaahw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F07Vlc2NnZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaINLDdiKl4

I think it's one of the better recent Wu Tang songs, actually. I dig the beat, it's a nice change, IMO.

I read an article earlier this year that was a sort of cross between a "where are they now" and a history of Wu Tang, talking about each of the individual members and their experiences in the group. One of the biggest obstacles to getting this album made was that Raekwon in particular (I think, this article was published in the spring so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details) had a real problem with the kind of beats RZA was making this time around. "Too pop" was the jist of his complaint I think. He was unhappy to the point where he wasn't showing up to the studio, publicly ripping RZA, etc. I can see how he would think that based on this track but I think it's surprisingly good.

I'll try and find the link to the article, it's actually a really fantastic read if you're a Wu fan.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah I was across all that. He was unhappy with RZA's level of control, but RZA was saying that if they were going to release a new Wu-Tang he had to be in control, just like when they started.

I loved Rick Ross' album from earlier this year, but I have no idea why I'm putting myself through the experience of listening to Hood Billionaire. This is awful.

When your best song is a Rhianna knock-off b-side, that's when you know you've got a problem.

It got a little better right at the end, but that could just as easily have been because I started to tune the album out :shifty:.

I do not even know what to make of Broke with Expensive Taste. I'm about 6 tracks in. This is not what I Was expecting.

A$AP Yams, the de facto manager of A$AP Rocky and A$AP Mob as a whole just passed away. He was 26. The word right now is that it was a codeine overdose, but no official statement has been made. If it is another codeine-related death, you can add it on to the list with Pimp C and DJ Screw. What a waste.

Considering A$AP Rocky has made an entire career off glorifying lean, this could have a significant impact on his music.

Last edited:
Listened to most of it this morning, it's really, really good and I'm looking forward to getting to know it a whole lot better. The production is really strong and quite warm, and his rapping sounds very confident. I've been a fan ever since I heard his verse on 1 Train - I'm thinking about signing to the Roc / but my niggas on the block still assigned to the rocks

Also, unrelated, but I really want to commend Yeezy and No I.D.'s production on Pusha T's My Name is My Name. I'm still thoroughly addicted to this beat, that dark piano is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ_W2SRWctA

Back
Top Bottom