Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did anyone listen to Distant Relatives, the album by Nas and Damien Marley released earlier this year? i downloaded it today, will give it a spin tomoz.

edit, Akon completely ruins Kush. i hate Akon. a lot. Dre's verse is awesome.

Holocaust/Warcloud has a few good tracks out there from back when he worked with wu members. Hes a freakin looney tune though so take it with a grain of salt.

Some hip-hop opinions:

AZ and R.A. The Rugged Man are the two most underrated rappers.

DJ Premier and Stoupe from Jedi Mind Tricks make the best beats.

Inspectah Deck is the best wu member.

i keep coming back to Illmatic lately... each track is just intricate that i keep finding something new, be it a jazzy bit, interesting lil' beat or lyric every time.

I wonder if the word "purists" should be taken out of the thread title. I'm certainly not a hip hop purist, but it is nice to have a thread where we can discuss hip hop. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Inspectah Deck is the best wu member.

He's up there for sure. I've said it a few times before, but his opening verse on Protect Ya Neck is my favorite rap verse ever. I might have to go with Meth for my favorite member, though, just based on pure personality.

In spite of the fact that my year end list is like 80% asshole, obscure shit, I feel the need to point out that Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty came in at number one. Jesus, that record!

Yeah, I have still yet to hear that. Have to admit that I followed very, very little hip-hop, this year. Apart from Dipset, of course.

I kind of agree with GAF about the title, I mean when I see that title all I can think of is people who only like 80's hip-hop and refuse to acknowledge modern mainstream rap or alternative movements... which is not what this thread is about.

Also, "Shutterbugg" has been randomly stuck in my head recently and it's been awhile since I listened to any Big Boi. :D

While I agree the thread's morphed into a general hip-hop discussion, a quick look back at the first several posts shows that wasn't the original intent. It was to discuss "non-mainstream" (and I realize that's not a terribly useful term, considering plenty of mainstream guys are on the below list) hip-hop.

Rakim
Nas
KRS-One
Jeru the Damaja
A Tribe Called Quest
Ice Cube
Binary Star
Jadakiss
Pete Rock
Gangstarr
Bone Thugs 'n Harmony
Eazy E
The Fugees
Hieroglyphics
Mos Def
Eric B
Classified
Brand Nubian
Cunninglynguists
Chino XL
Gravediggaz
Beastie Boys
DJ Shadow
RJD2
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
Cypress Hill
Onyx
Ice-T
Talib Kweli
Atmosphere
Outkast
Jay-Z (pre Kingdom Come)
Mobb Deep (pre 2001)
NWA
Dr Dre
MF Doom
K-OS
Cormega
DMX
Eminem (1996-2002)
Pharoahe Monch (Organized Confusion)
Big Daddy Kane
Jedi Mind Tricks
Run DMC
Kool G Rap
CL Smooth
Xzibit (pre-2001)
Public Enemy
Grandmaster Flash
DJ Kool Herc
Redman
Canibus
Kool Moe Dee
Kurtis Blow
Royce Da 5' 9"
Immortal Technique
AZ
Big L
The Notorious BIG
Big Pun
Tupac
Common
Lauryn Hill
Afrika Bambataa
De La Soul
EPMD
Blackalicious
Busta Rhymes
Scarface
Raekwon
Ghostface
GZA
RZA
Inspektah Deck
U-God
ODB
Method Man
Digable Planets
Arrested Development
The Roots
Jurassic 5
Lupe Fiasco
Kanye West

Discuss.

Forget the list. That's not what the topic is for. Just there to give an idea of the artists the thread's devoted to so that we don't get any "YEAAHAAHHH LIL WYANE IZ THA SHITTTT BSET RAPPER EVARRRRR!!!111!!!!11!" bullshit.

Sooooo... general 'good' hip-hop discussion thread/introduction thread kicked off by a required listening list for those who may be interested.

Oh I'm not arguing the intent of the thread, just what the title makes me think, y'know?

For sure. I guess as a self-proclaimed hip-hop head, when I see the title, I immediately comprehend the types of artists it's meant to discuss. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't get off track—like every other thread on here—but, on the whole, I think it's stayed pretty true to the title.

I suppose that means we should make a "YEAAHAAHHH LIL WYANE IZ THA SHITTTT BSET RAPPER EVARRRRR!!!111!!!!11!" thread for people to discuss other stuff in, huh? :wink:

If you shout... said:
In spite of the fact that my year end list is like 80% asshole, obscure shit, I feel the need to point out that Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty came in at number one. Jesus, that record!

I. Love. You.

Get the south dick up your mouth! :rockon:

By the way, "like" Big Boi on facebook, cos there's a youtube link they just posted on his page where he's talking about 3000's solo joint and the next Outkast album.

here are the videos i was referring to.

YouTube - Big Boi talks New Album, Andre 3000 Solo Project, New Outkast Album + More

i can't watch it because my younger sister spent all yesterday watching episodes of some shit kids show on youtube and it won't load. :mad:

and apparently here he talks about marriage, where Organized Noise rate as a production crew, developing artists like Monae, etc, and new shit in the pipeline. (Goodie Mob album!)

YouTube - Big Boi (Outkast) Talks Bush, Kanye, Organized Noize, Movies + Marriage

tumblrlfa3fda7q01qg5kze.jpg

Echoing that "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." March 8th cannot come soon enough.

You bumping the thread reminded me I meant to post in here today.

I have heard The Chronic.

Should I say more?

Edit: I was mostly just kidding with that, but I felt kind of like a dick after a few minutes of thought.

As I've tried to get more into hip hop and past the shit I hear from the genre on the radio, I've discovered that there are a great many things about the genre I do enjoy quite a bit. I think I've driven Travis insane the last few days because for some reason I won't shut up about how much I love Straight Outta Compton. It didn't help that yesterday VH1 showed a marathon of their top 100 Hip Hop songs, which was a fun watch, but mostly a rather predictably old school list. So, I decided that I would finally listen to The Chronic since "Nothing But a 'G' Thang" was #3 on the list, and because I felt inadequate for having not heard the album.

The end result was that I found the music incredible, which doesn't come as a huge surprise (without me looking too far into it) since that was my favorite thing about Straight Outta Compton as well, and I'm assuming Dre was responsible for the sound of both? But, I just wasn't so into the lyrical content, especially when it felt like the first three songs were simply plugs for Dre's new label.

Maybe if I were to give it further listens, I'd get more out of it, but all I felt from the LYRICS on this first listen was that it was all about Dre being from Compton...again.

I don't mean to be no fun or anything, I can tell why this album is so beloved. I was having a great time where the beats were concerned, but I just couldn't get past the raps themselves.

You bumping the thread reminded me I meant to post in here today.

I have heard The Chronic.

Should I say more?

Edit: I was mostly just kidding with that, but I felt kind of like a dick after a few minutes of thought.

As I've tried to get more into hip hop and past the shit I hear from the genre on the radio, I've discovered that there are a great many things about the genre I do enjoy quite a bit. I think I've driven Travis insane the last few days because for some reason I won't shut up about how much I love Straight Outta Compton. It didn't help that yesterday VH1 showed a marathon of their top 100 Hip Hop songs, which was a fun watch, but mostly a rather predictably old school list. So, I decided that I would finally listen to The Chronic since "Nothing But a 'G' Thang" was #3 on the list, and because I felt inadequate for having not heard the album.

The end result was that I found the music incredible, which doesn't come as a huge surprise (without me looking too far into it) since that was my favorite thing about Straight Outta Compton as well, and I'm assuming Dre was responsible for the sound of both? But, I just wasn't so into the lyrical content, especially when it felt like the first three songs were simply plugs for Dre's new label.

Maybe if I were to give it further listens, I'd get more out of it, but all I felt from the LYRICS on this first listen was that it was all about Dre being from Compton...again.

I don't mean to be no fun or anything, I can tell why this album is so beloved. I was having a great time where the beats were concerned, but I just couldn't get past the raps themselves.

Yep, Dre's responsible for the production of both, along with DJ Yella on Straight Outta Compton (but he just did scratches and stuff). I won't argue with you about the lyrical content...Dre's never been known as a rapper, and regardless, the gang/neighborhood/lifestyle rap stuff can get tedious.

Is that what you guys mean when you say production? I know there was a conversation about this (I think in this very thread) but at the time, for one reason or another, I wasn't paying attention.

Hip-hop producers assemble and create beats, yes. They are responsible for making the song sound as it does. It's a different beast than producing in other genres, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom