Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually checked her out because of a "Top 100 Hip Hop songs" list - I downloaded 'em all, Paper Thin was on there. Then GTA 4 came out and Cha Cha Cha was on one of the radio stations, and I really liked the beat so I went on a search. :up:

Goodie-mob-soul-food-1995.jpg

Just listened to this album for the first time today, and was very impressed. Chilled, appropriately soulful beats topped with firm, yet uplifting socially aware lyricism. Awesome record. Thought Process is so good I had to listen to it twice.

:up: I've never listened to Goodie Mob before, I'll check out that album tonight though.

I'm listening to Reflection Eternal right now, which is Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek collaborating. The album's called Train of Thought. Highly recommended if anyone's into "conscious" hip-hop.

Thanks for reminding me to give Train Of Thought a shot; I saw it on rateyourmusic a while back and it seemed very promising. I've always liked Talib Kweli.

:yes: Talib is great! Reflection Eternal's actually playing the free Spring Jam concert at my university at the end of this month, so I'll be checking them out live soon. :up:

Wow, I would love to be at one of those shows. :drool: Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star is one of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time. Talib seems like he's quite the busy guy lately; he also mentions working on a new solo album. And, I forgot that Mos Def's new album comes out in a couple months. :up: Definitely looking forward to that one.

Black Star is getting back together??!?? Wow, I would give my left nut to be at one of those shows. Black Star is the group that's more or less responsible for getting me seriously into hip hop. Before I had heard of them, I generally thought that 99% of hip hop was garbage (now revised down to about 85%), and listened almost exclusively to Kanye West (Late Registration was the only rap album I owned) along with a couple Tupac songs, a Gang Starr track, a Chamillionaire track ( :reject: ) and an obscure song with killer lyrics that my buddy's friend recorded. One night I was awake at 4 am (drunk and stoned) and Rapcity was on Muchmusic. For some unknown reason I left it there, and the video for Respiration came on. My mind was blown, and I downloaded a few Black Star tracks the next day. Then a few Mos Def tracks, and a few Talib Kweli tracks, and a couple Common songs for good measure. The rest, as they say, is history. :yes:

I've been getting into Madlib a lot over the past few weeks. My favorite of his is Shades of Blue, which is a remix album made up of samples from Blue Note Records, and it was actually released by Blue Note in 2002.

Dude's freaking amazing! :drool:

YouTube - Madlib - Slim's Return

:hi5: You should get it. Cause I know you need more albums to buy. :wink:

I haven't heard Beat Konducta #3 and 4 yet. :hmm: I've got #5 and 6, which are his tributes to J Dilla, and they're amazing too. Blunted in the Bomb Shelter is a fantastic reggae album of his too. Seriously, he's done so much, and it's all fantastic. :up:

Oh! And I forgot, he did a collaboration album with Talib Kweli called Liberation. :drool: So good! That one was a free release online, I believe.

One of my favorite J Dilla-produced tracks:

YouTube - Common - The Light

I just listened to Donuts for the first time the other day, and I liked it. It needs a few more listens though. I've also got Ruff Draft and Welcome 2 Detroit on my plate. I've dug Champion Sound, with him and Madlib as Jaylib, and I really like Slum Village. :up:

R.I.P. J Dilla :(

YouTube - classified- Oh Canada

This guy's from Halifax. His new album is called Self-Explanatory, and it's his first major label release even though he's got about a dozen albums out on local labels (he's been around since he was in high school in Enfield). Produces and rhymes over his own beats, and there's even a track on this album where one of my army buddys raps a verse about the boot camp we went to. :lol:

If you see this in stores, check it out, I guarantee you will love it.

Probably not worth bumping the thread over, but...

983aa864589d904e60a3301dc3c45a9e.jpg

:love: Madlib is absolutely fantastic, some of the best beats in the game. It helps that jazz-inflected hip-hop is one of my favorite sounds in music as a whole.

Can anyone here recommend to me some jazzy hip-hop (besides Tribe, they've already won me over) or possibly instrumental hip-hop? It's finals time, and I need something to chill/study to.

EDIT: Haha, just noticed Cassie wrote about Shades of Blue months ago. :lol: Oh well, verification of its awesomeness.

Can anyone here recommend to me some jazzy hip-hop (besides Tribe, they've already won me over) or possibly instrumental hip-hop? It's finals time, and I need something to chill/study to.

EDIT: Haha, just noticed Cassie wrote about Shades of Blue months ago. :lol: Oh well, verification of its awesomeness.

:lol: It's all good, glad you're enjoying Shades of Blue so much too. It's my favorite Madlib album.

As for recommendations, I know you're already into Madvillain and J Dilla. Have you heard Slum Village's early stuff? Fantastic Vol. 1 and Fantastic Vol. 2 both heavily feature Dilla producing, and in his somewhat more jazzy-era, versus the more Motown stuff he was doing on Donuts.

Since you're into A Tribe Called Quest (who are fucking incredible), I'd say to check out any of the other Native Tongues groups: Native Tongues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They were one of the collectives most concerned with using jazz influences in their sampling and beats.

Can anyone here recommend to me some jazzy hip-hop (besides Tribe, they've already won me over) or possibly instrumental hip-hop?

De La Soul and Jurassic 5 instantly come to mind, if you aren't already into them both.

:lol: It's all good, glad you're enjoying Shades of Blue so much too. It's my favorite Madlib album.

As for recommendations, I know you're already into Madvillain and J Dilla. Have you heard Slum Village's early stuff? Fantastic Vol. 1 and Fantastic Vol. 2 both heavily feature Dilla producing, and in his somewhat more jazzy-era, versus the more Motown stuff he was doing on Donuts.

Since you're into A Tribe Called Quest (who are fucking incredible), I'd say to check out any of the other Native Tongues groups: Native Tongues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They were one of the collectives most concerned with using jazz influences in their sampling and beats.

I would love to hear something like Donuts, but more fleshed out. That record (as well as Jay Get Paid, the other of his I've heard) is a thrill when you're not concerned so much with raps at the moment and just want some chill beats. I'll definitely check out Slum Village. Probably soon...I don't want a whole label dedicated to jazzy hip-hop swallowing up my time before I can get to them. :lol:

De La Soul and Jurassic 5 instantly come to mind, if you aren't already into them both.

Quality Control is the big one I've been meaning to listen to, thanks for the reminder.

wasn't there a band who sampled Black Cow in one of their songs?

also, is The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free worth getting?

Dunno about Black Cow, but De La Soul samples Peg in Eye Know and it's amazing.

And it is indeed. But it doesn't sound a damn thing like the hip-hop we're discussing, so keep an open mind.

I would love to hear something like Donuts, but more fleshed out. That record (as well as Jay Get Paid, the other of his I've heard) is a thrill when you're not concerned so much with raps at the moment and just want some chill beats. I'll definitely check out Slum Village. Probably soon...I don't want a whole label dedicated to jazzy hip-hop swallowing up my time before I can get to them. :lol:

Definitely agree, though I'm still warming up to Donuts, to be honest. I like Vol. 2: Vintage of Dilla's the most, of what I've heard. Not jazzy, per say, but a solid set of beats from 1995-1998. He's got so much work out there, it's hard to keep up.

Another artist I thought of for jazzy hip-hop was Oh No, who is Madlib's brother and also records for Stones Throw Records, probably my favorite hip-hop label, along with Rhymesayers.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom