Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New KRIT: great, better than his 2012 mixtape.

New Kid Cudi: pretty embarrassing, to be honest. His first couple albums were way too long but had some great tracks and palpable atmosphere. This one is boring pretty much the entire way through because he just isn't much of a producer. Lame.

I enjoyed the first MotM but the followup, barring a few tracks, was just an indulgent mess (leave the bitching about being rich and famous to Kanye). Haven't even listened to any of his later stuff.

I'm a little disappointed with the new J Cole album. Maybe it's all the Yeezus I've been listening to but the production seems really plain. And for a guy who's supposed to be all socially conscious it isn't doing anything special lyrically, though he's cut way back on the corny puns and his flow is more confident. A solid 7 and probably more consistent than his debut but I can't see this dude making a real knockout album.

For some reason I forgot KRIT had a new mixtape out, I should check that out.

YOU DlDN'T FUCKING THINK TO MENTION LAND OF THE SNAKES?!?!?!!?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK MAN!!!

Was not gonna listen to it, now, I simply must, out of respect.

My favorite hip-hop albums so far this year:

1. Yeezy - Yeezus
2. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
3. Ghostface - Twelve Reasons to Die
4. Czarface - Czarface
5. Big KRIT - King Remembered in Time

Honorable mention: Quasimoto - Yessir, Whatever

Run the Jewels is, as El-P so eloquently expresses in Get It, overly fucking awesome.

This shit is hilarious. I read it in Method Man's voice and about died.

BIG GHOST CHRONICLES: The 5th Annual 10 Softest Niggas In the Game

Re: Mac Miller

Accordin to the legends I heard... it was durin that "set adrift on memory bliss" era that a mad scientist took a My Buddy doll n marinated it in all the Johnson & Johnsons baby products the nigga could find n took it to a park while it was a light drizzle outside n tied it to a kite n let that shit hover over a rainbow for like 15 minutes n then buried it in his cabbage patch nahmean.... 9 months later the snow nigga Mac sprouted outta the ground. True story b...

I thought I was seeing El-P solo today. I was wrong. Instead, we got an unscheduled performance from RUN THE MOTHERFUCKING JEWELS.

Shouted myself hoarse. They performed most of the album and Butane from R.A.P. Music. Combined with Killer Mike's set before it, that was probably the best run of the weekend. Loud and brash. Real bad guy shit.

Kenny!

Jay-E!

Get Big Sean off of there and you've got a classic. Dude doesn't belong in the same room as those two.

No argument there, but like I said, I was surprised he put in a decent verse. And I don't think I'd heard anything from Jay in over a year, dude seems to rap even less than Andre 3K. But yeah, Kendrick's verse needed to be last because Jay is just an anti-climax.

Kenny!

Jay-E!

Get Big Sean off of there and you've got a classic. Dude doesn't belong in the same room as those two.

Big Sean's Detroit mixtape is excellent. Far and away better & and more soulful than his officially released material

:hmm: I'll look out for it.

Do you expect anything out of Hall of Fame? The album's prospects improved tenfold when Guap was confirmed to be a non-album single.

Kendrick's verse is good, but it isn't worthy of all this hype. I guess that's just the Twitter-powered world we live in. Hell, some shitty shark movie that SyFy channel has made like 100 times over the last few years became a household name recently.

I just found it refreshing that someone stirred the pot for once. Everyone's been holding hands lately and Kendrick is bringing back some competitive edge by calling people out, seemingly just for the hell of it. A Compton kid claiming he's the king of New York? :lol: Ridiculous, and that's where the hype is coming from.

Jay's verse is very good, a shame that he had to follow K Dot. I've heard there's a version of the song floating around with the verses swapped.

I love this:

ttjH5qx.png

Didn't think my love for Kendrick could get much bigger. Holy shit. I'm with LM, it's refreshing, and it's a sick verse. Also with bollox, that's by far the best verse I've heard Big Sean spit. Jay Electronica's is good, but it's like Slick Rick's verse on the single version of Da Art of Storytellin, following a monster.

I hope we all noticed, just before he launches into other MCs, he shouts out Andre 3000 as one of the best, along with Jay Z, Nas and Eminem.

Kendrick's verse is good, but it isn't worthy of all this hype. I guess that's just the Twitter-powered world we live in. Hell, some shitty shark movie that SyFy channel has made like 100 times over the last few years became a household name recently.

I agree, if anything, his verse was just a marketing campaign. "Let me just go ahead and name all of my contemporaries so Twitter will explode in applause and anger."

Anybody listen to Doris yet? I was going to ignore it, but I've heard good things (read: Pitchfork BNM) that I'm somewhat curious. On the other hand, I don't care much for Earl and I'm so over Odd Future at this point (didn't even listen to Wolf).

Don't ignore it. The production alone is worth the 45 minutes you would spend on it and Earl has expanded his subject matter well beyond rape and murder. It's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom