Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dr. zooeuss said:

you have every right to believe that, and i have every right to disagree.

if it were rap in general, i'd agree for the most part, but that list seems to be picking out acts with a certain mentality and not all of his lyrics fit with it.

"Brenda's Got a Baby," "Keep Ya Head Up," "Changes," Dear Mama" are all incredible songs.

His gangsta influenced work seems to be exactly against the purpose of the list, though, imo..

Forget the damn list, and forget the word "purist". I wish I had never written the bloody things. I just want to have a discussion about real hip-hop.

Everything Tupac did was pure fucking gold.

I think Eminem is an incredible rapper.

He just has the way weaving autobiography and social commentary together, and I've rarely heard a rapper able to make his voice one with the beat(if that makes any sense) the way Eminem does.

I really think 'Cleaning Out My Closet', 'Sing For The Moment', 'Lose Yourself', and 'The Way I Am' are some of the greatest rap songs ever put to a record.

There's a handful of Eminem songs I like quite a bit, and Stan is one of them. I think it's really well done.

What about M.I.A.? She incorporates a bunch of styles in her music, but raps a lot. I think she's aces. :up:

DaveC said:

Forget the damn list, and forget the word "purist". I wish I had never written the bloody things. I just want to have a discussion about real hip-hop.

Everything Tupac did was pure fucking gold.

fair enough, i'll let it go-

I spend something like 6+ hours driving around yesterday with the car radio on and at some point they played "A bit of U2" by Kiss AMC

I had forgotten about that one
and in retrospect KISS AMC still doesn't belong pn a purist list :up:

Salome said:
I spend something like 6+ hours driving around yesterday with the car radio on and at some point they played "A bit of U2" by Kiss AMC

I had forgotten about that one
and in retrospect KISS AMC still doesn't belong pn a purist list :up:

i have no idea what you're talking about..

it's an 80s oldie (nto goldie)
2 girls rapping over a New Year's Day sample
masterly titles "A bit of U2"

it's a classic in its own right :up:

Salome said:
it's an 80s oldie (nto goldie)
2 girls rapping over a New Year's Day sample
masterly titles "A bit of U2"

it's a classic in its own right :up:

sounds interesting but i can't find any clips of it- do you have any?

I'm looking too, but so far no luck

understandably so I guess since it's not the best song ever :D

Holy shit.

While half-drunk last night, I found a "Top 100 Hip-Hop tracks" list online and downloaded about 60 of them. I'm listening now to what I downloaded...unbelievable :drool:

I figured it was a good time to revive this thread.

Diemen, Dave C could recommend tons of albums, but, might I just say that you should buy The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest. I loved it when it came out 17 years ago, and still do.

Diemen said:
thanks for the recommendation, nsw - I'll check it out.

Good....if you hate it, sorry.

Again, Dave C is more the connoisseur, but since neither of us are hip hop devotees, perhaps you will like the album, too.

Let me know, ok?

Diemen said:
The only hip hop albums I own are Jurassic 5's Quality Control and Power In Numbers. Love em both.

Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique is art. Also, Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt and Nas' Illmatic are essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom