Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the review, but it didn't deter me from listening to the album. In fact, quite the opposite.

If you ask me, he has one great song, Mr Carter. The other 15 or 20 tracks I've heard by or featuring him have been uniformly atrocious.

I cannot fathom why anyone thinks he's one of the greatest rappers alive. Even on Mr Carter he kind of sucks.

Maybe he should have taken Jigga's advice. "Young Carter, go farther, go further, go harder."

New Tyler album is better than I expected but won't be worth the attention it's going to get. Way better production than Goblin and arguably less terrible from a lyrical standpoint, but still pretty terrible. He's still recycling the same daddy issues/Golf Wang chest beating/I'm-not-as-controversial-as-Eminem-but-I'll-keep-trying BS and it's even lamer than last time because the shock is gone, if there was any to begin with.

But yeah, much better beats. MUCH better. Hell, I enjoyed the music almost all the way through. There is a massive dropoff after IFHY, hitting rock bottom with the hideously awful mixtape filler Trashwang and Tamale, but I could fuck with an 11-track version of Wolf. Giving it a 3/5 for now, but I doubt I'll want to hear it all the way through a second time. Domo 23 (only the first 2:30 made the album, sorry Cobbs), Pigs, Trashwang and Tamale are just too terrible to sit through again.

And the new Lil Wayne is horrible, but not necessarily worse than Carter IV. The bland, uninspired production does nothing to help matters.

Wow, great article Cobbler, thanks for posting. Funny and insightful. It's really great to read a female voice untangling gender issues in hip hop. Frankly, it's just refreshing to know there are devoted female hip hop fans given how anti-woman it can be as a genre (an issue she directly confronts).

I copped the Czarface album that LM was hyping a page back and it's FUCKIN RIDICKILUS.

Srsly, it's great to hear some 90s rap vets kick it like the last 15 years didn't even happen. I'd actually never heard of 7L or Esoteric before (apparently they're quite revered in the Boston underground hip hop scene) but they bring it. 7L's beats are hard and sprinkled with judicious samples from cartoons and pro wrestling; Esoteric's got a good flow and funny wordplay, constantly dropping geeky comic book references. Even DJ Premier shows up for one classic sounding track. It's like the hip hop version of The Expendables, except it doesn't completely suck ass. Deck sounds great here as well and this is probably the best Wu release since Cuban Linx 2. It's my favorite album that I've heard all year.

Yeah, it's definitely the best hip-hop record I've heard so far this year, nothing else comes close.

The Doppelgangaz have a new album out, Hark, that's pretty decent. Sounds like old school NYC boom bap but the rhymes aren't anything to write home about. Good sound, but that's really all there is to it.

So Big Boi/Kendrick Lamar/Killer Mike are doing a show at my undergrad alma mater later this month. Pretty unbelievable lineup, especially considering that when I was a student the biggest 'band' they got on campus was Sugar Ray.

That's a fantastic bill. Wow.

Pretty fucking psyched that I get to see Killer Mike and El-P at P4k. That's going to be sick.

Listened to Wolf and CZARFACE.

On Wolf: good album, falls trap to the same thing 97.6% of hip-hop albums do: too long, too many tracks, too many annoying little asides. He seems to have toned down the misogyny just a tiny bit. I don't want to use the word homophobic, because I really don't think using the word 'faggot' makes you one, but he's ramped his use of that word. There's nothing on here as good as Yonkers or She but I found the beats to be pretty good; aside from the horrible Trashwang there's hardly any of the rubbish Radicals-style beats to be found. They're all pretty laidback, good, even warm at times. Really liked Answer, easily my favourite. And I thought Colossus and Rusty were both great lyrically because Tyler really engages you on them. The former starts funny ("I went to Six Flags and six fags came up") and then Tyler just raps as one of his rabid fans for three-and-a-half minutes. The latter has good verses from Earl and Tyler (and a typically shit one from Domo Gensis) and again features Tyler sort of ranting stream-of-consciousness style ("Look at that article saying my subject matter is wrong / saying I hate gays even though Frank's on ten of my songs", "Analog fans are getting sick of the rape / all the tron cat fans are getting sick of the lakes" (loved that line), "He hates women but loves kittens").

All in all though you do have to wonder what he'd be doing today if he never got a copy of The Marshall Mathers LP.

On CZARFACE: went into it skeptically, given I've never heard of 7L & Esoteric (who are white I've just discovered!!) and Inspectah Deck has probably the spottiest record of all the main Wu MCs, but am loving it. It's short, no fucking around, just sick 90s beats with great rapping. Ghost and Action Bronson kill their appearances. Esoteric sounds so much like Jigga in some parts it's ridiculous. I was tripping listening to Rock Beast, it could so easily be Jay-Z singing "Roc Beast". There's a fucking George Carlin sample during World War 4. And lastly the beat to Savagely Attack sounds almost EXACTLY like the beat from Madvillain's Sickfit. Surprised neither of you mentioned that. I'd post links but I'm on my phone.

Cobbler out.

New Tyler album is better than I expected but won't be worth the attention it's going to get. Way better production than Goblin and arguably less terrible from a lyrical standpoint, but still pretty terrible. He's still recycling the same daddy issues/Golf Wang chest beating/I'm-not-as-controversial-as-Eminem-but-I'll-keep-trying BS and it's even lamer than last time because the shock is gone, if there was any to begin with.

But yeah, much better beats. MUCH better. Hell, I enjoyed the music almost all the way through. There is a massive dropoff after IFHY, hitting rock bottom with the hideously awful mixtape filler Trashwang and Tamale, but I could fuck with an 11-track version of Wolf. Giving it a 3/5 for now, but I doubt I'll want to hear it all the way through a second time. Domo 23 (only the first 2:30 made the album, sorry Cobbs), Pigs, Trashwang and Tamale are just too terrible to sit through again.

Tamale actually made me go "what the fuck?!" Seriously that bad. Domo23 is shithouse as well but the last 30 seconds from the clip they released for it is from Bimmer, which isn't that great either.

Agreed on the shock factor too. Now that he's been around a while his vocals and lyrics aren't enough to make you stand up and listen anymore. I'm getting over him a bit.

:hyper:

It would be awesome if Run the Jewels played a song at P4k, since they'll both be there and, I would assume, collaborating on the R.A.P. Music tracks.

The new Ghostface is surprisingly good. Probably his best since Fishscale. Ghost's in good form, but the production is really something special. It sounds like a Tarantino soundtrack, or rather the 60s/70s music that generally populates Tarantino's soundtracks. It's a concept album, which is both a plus and minus. On one hand, I appreciate that this is more focused and cohesive than a lot of recent Ghost releases. The storyline is goofy as hell; Ghost is a gangster murdered by his boss who seeks vengeance from beyond the grave (it reminds me more than a little bit of this)

Fortunately, the production really gets it over. I'd never heard of the producer, Adrian Younge, but Wikipedia tells me he did the soundtrack for the movie Black Dynamite, which makes a lot of sense. Also, if you haven't seen Black Dynamite, go watch that shit.

I still like Czarface better; kind of crazy that 2013 would see Inspectah Deck releasing a better album than Ghostface.

I'm thrilled about a new Ghostface release. Hip-hop has been WEAK so far this year but it's starting to pick up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom