Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like a horse's ass for just finding out today that Lupe Fiasco had a new album out.

I am not a real fan.

:(

Unfortunately the reviews look less than positive.

bollox, i didn't know you before King of Limbs bought you out of obscurity, but i hope you stick around. i like your posts.

gonna catch up on all the albums i've missed since DI soon.

i heard the title track off Talib Kweli's Gutter Rainbows, and it was really, really good.

i also heard a track called Keep Goin by Snoop, which was good, don't know how old it was. but apparently he's got an album coming out at the end of March, a friend reckons. he also reckons there's rumours of Up In Smoke 2, which, if proven to be true, will probably lead to my death in some way.

bollox, i didn't know you before King of Limbs bought you out of obscurity, but i hope you stick around. i like your posts.
Thanks! I usually post on Atease but started posting here again when that board started hiccuping (new Radiohead tends to do that). I definitely like it better here since

a) You guys aren't assholes

b) The median age seems to be a bit higher. Seriously, hearing people say they were in 6th grade when 'Funeral' came out = DEPRESSING

Come to think of it, points A & B may be related.

You just haven't spent enough time back yet. :wink:
Well, at least there are fewer a*holes to keep track of . . . j/k you lot are cool :)
:lol: he's just lucky that U2 aren't actually about to release an album, despite all prior information hinting to it.
I actually first joined when HTDAAB came out (back when new U2 was an exciting prospect); I quickly learned to avoid EYKIW at all costs. Wasn't around much when NLOTH came out, save to unload tickets for some 360 shows I overzealous bought when they went on sale.

ON TOPIC: Curren$y was one of my favorite new (to me) rappers of last year. Looking forward to hearing 'Muscle Car Chronicles' when it drops.

R.I.P. Nate Dogg... one of my favourite voices in hiphop and one of the best go-to men if you needed a decent verse!

Dre's Kush would be a lot better if Nate Dogg had Akon's bit!

Oh, fuck! That is brutal. God damn. RIP Nate Dogg. That was a bad motherfucker. The '90s West Coast hip hop scene would not have been the same without him. He'll be missed, for sure.

ON TOPIC: Curren$y was one of my favorite new (to me) rappers of last year. Looking forward to hearing 'Muscle Car Chronicles' when it drops.

Definitely. Curren$y is the shit. I'm glad he left Young Money to go solo. Also, Curren$y>>>>>>>>>>>Wiz Khalifa.

R.I.P. Nate Dogg... one of my favourite voices in hiphop and one of the best go-to men if you needed a decent verse!

Dre's Kush would be a lot better if Nate Dogg had Akon's bit!

Oh, fuck! That is brutal. God damn. RIP Nate Dogg. That was a bad motherfucker. The '90s West Coast hip hop scene would not have been the same without him. He'll be missed, for sure.

:( Heard this right when I woke up too. I think it's gonna be an old-school '90s West Coast listening sort of day.

Yeah, I only just heard. RIP. :(

On a cool, clear night (typical to Southern California) Warren G travels through his neighborhood, searching for women with whom he might initiate sexual intercourse. He has chosen to engage in this pursuit alone.

Nate Dogg, having just arrived in Long Beach, seeks Warren. On his way to find Warren, Nate passes a car full of women who are excited to see him. Regardless, he insists to the women that there is no cause for excitement.

Warren makes a left turn at 21st Street and Lewis Ave, where he sees a group of young men enjoying a game of dice together. He parks his car and greets them. He is excited to find people to play with, but to his chagrin, he discovers they intend to relieve him of his material possessions. Once the hopeful robbers reveal their firearms, Warren realizes he is in a less than favorable predicament.

Meanwhile, Nate passes the women, as they are low on his list of priorities. His primary concern is locating Warren. After curtly casting away the strumpets (whose interest in Nate was such that they crashed their automobile), he serendipitously stumbles upon his friend, Warren G, being held up by the young miscreants.

Warren, unaware that Nate is surreptitiously observing the scene unfold, is in disbelief that he’s being robbed. The perpetrators have taken jewelry and a name brand designer watch from Warren, who is so incredulous that he asks what else the robbers intend to steal. This is most likely a rhetorical question.

Observing these unfortunate proceedings, Nate realizes that he may have to use his firearm to deliver his friend from harm.

The tension crescendos as the robbers point their guns to Warren’s head. Warren senses the gravity of his situation. He cannot believe the events unfolding could happen in his own neighborhood. As he imagines himself in a fantastical escape, he catches a glimpse of his friend, Nate.

Nate has seventeen cartridges to expend (sixteen residing in the pistol’s magazine, with a solitary round placed in the chamber and ready to be fired) on the group of robbers, and he uses many of them. Afterward, he generously shares the credit for neutralizing the situation with Warren, though it is clear that Nate did all of the difficult work. Putting congratulations aside, Nate quickly reminds himself that he has committed multiple homicides to save Warren before letting his friend know that there are females nearby if he wishes to fornicate with them.

Warren recalls that it was the promise of copulation that coaxed him away from his previous activities, and is thankful that Nate knows a way to satisfy these urges.

Nate quickly finds the women who earlier crashed their car on Nate’s account. He remarks to one that he is fond of her physical appeal. The woman, impressed by Nate’s singing ability, asks that he and Warren allow her and her friends to share transportation. Soon, both friends are driving with automobiles full of women to the East Side Motel, presumably to consummate their flirtation in an orgy.

The third verse is more expository, with Warren and Nate explaining their G Funk musical style. Nate displays his bravado by claiming that individuals with equivalent knowledge could not even attempt to approach his level of lyrical mastery. He also notes that if any third party smokes as he does, they would find themselves in a state of intoxication daily (from Nate’s other works, it can be inferred that the substance referenced is marijuana). Nate concludes his delineation of the night by issuing a vague threat to “busters,” suggesting that he and Warren will further “regulate” any potential incidents in the future (presumably by engaging their enemies with small arms fire).

Yeah, I only just heard. RIP. :(

On a cool, clear night (typical to Southern California) Warren G travels through his neighborhood, searching for women with whom he might initiate sexual intercourse. He has chosen to engage in this pursuit alone.

Nate Dogg, having just arrived in Long Beach, seeks Warren. On his way to find Warren, Nate passes a car full of women who are excited to see him. Regardless, he insists to the women that there is no cause for excitement.

Warren makes a left turn at 21st Street and Lewis Ave, where he sees a group of young men enjoying a game of dice together. He parks his car and greets them. He is excited to find people to play with, but to his chagrin, he discovers they intend to relieve him of his material possessions. Once the hopeful robbers reveal their firearms, Warren realizes he is in a less than favorable predicament.

Meanwhile, Nate passes the women, as they are low on his list of priorities. His primary concern is locating Warren. After curtly casting away the strumpets (whose interest in Nate was such that they crashed their automobile), he serendipitously stumbles upon his friend, Warren G, being held up by the young miscreants.

Warren, unaware that Nate is surreptitiously observing the scene unfold, is in disbelief that he’s being robbed. The perpetrators have taken jewelry and a name brand designer watch from Warren, who is so incredulous that he asks what else the robbers intend to steal. This is most likely a rhetorical question.

Observing these unfortunate proceedings, Nate realizes that he may have to use his firearm to deliver his friend from harm.

The tension crescendos as the robbers point their guns to Warren’s head. Warren senses the gravity of his situation. He cannot believe the events unfolding could happen in his own neighborhood. As he imagines himself in a fantastical escape, he catches a glimpse of his friend, Nate.

Nate has seventeen cartridges to expend (sixteen residing in the pistol’s magazine, with a solitary round placed in the chamber and ready to be fired) on the group of robbers, and he uses many of them. Afterward, he generously shares the credit for neutralizing the situation with Warren, though it is clear that Nate did all of the difficult work. Putting congratulations aside, Nate quickly reminds himself that he has committed multiple homicides to save Warren before letting his friend know that there are females nearby if he wishes to fornicate with them.

Warren recalls that it was the promise of copulation that coaxed him away from his previous activities, and is thankful that Nate knows a way to satisfy these urges.

Nate quickly finds the women who earlier crashed their car on Nate’s account. He remarks to one that he is fond of her physical appeal. The woman, impressed by Nate’s singing ability, asks that he and Warren allow her and her friends to share transportation. Soon, both friends are driving with automobiles full of women to the East Side Motel, presumably to consummate their flirtation in an orgy.

The third verse is more expository, with Warren and Nate explaining their G Funk musical style. Nate displays his bravado by claiming that individuals with equivalent knowledge could not even attempt to approach his level of lyrical mastery. He also notes that if any third party smokes as he does, they would find themselves in a state of intoxication daily (from Nate’s other works, it can be inferred that the substance referenced is marijuana). Nate concludes his delineation of the night by issuing a vague threat to “busters,” suggesting that he and Warren will further “regulate” any potential incidents in the future (presumably by engaging their enemies with small arms fire).

:sad: Greatest Hookman Ever. A sad day.

Epic lulz on the 'Regulate' transcription tho. My officemates are probably wondering what the hell I'm laughing at.

If I paid attention to Tay-tay or GAF's gushing over her, I might know how I did that, but :shrug:

It's just annoying to see bandwagoners all over Wiz for those reasons, especially when he kicks it with Curren$y and they did a mixtape together, so it's not as if these kids have never heard of Curren$y...it's just that he's not as palatable. But, he also signed to Warner recently (just like little Wiz), so he might go the mainstream direction same as Wiz did.

Wiz is coming here next month. He's playing an arena show.

Shocking...

He was here a matter of months ago, played First Avenue. Before that, I managed to see him in May at Soundset, the Rhymesayers festival, right before he blew the fuck up. Too bad Yelawolf and Fashawn, among others, shot him out of the water, performance-wise.

I can't even imagine how terrible a hip-hop arena show would be. The genre's not made for that, imo.

What are your favourite hip-hop verses?

Big Boi - first verse in ATLiens, second verse in SpottieOttie
Andre - second verse in Da Art of Storytellin, pt 1
Ice Cube - first verse in Fuck That Police
Eminem - first verse in Lose Yourself
Dr Dre - first verse in Real Niggaz Don't Die
Snoop - second verse in Nuthin But a G Thang
Posdonus - first verse in Eye Know
Trugoy - second verse in Pass the Plugs

just a few off the top of my head.

I'd also throw in Jay-Z's verse on So Appalled and Nicki Minaj's on Monster.

I finally got around to listening to Straight Outta Compton. It's good. Very good. There's barely a bad song on it, and the "other" 10 tracks don't pale in comparison to the opening trio (which must be right up there in terms of best album opening tracks ever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom