Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah. i'm glad i live under a rock and was only exposed to it via oneblood's DI list. that caused me to like it (probably also having something to do with me hearing "float on" on the radio by accident while driving home from work, an hour or so before i listened to that list), whereas if i'd heard it under circumstances completely outside my control i might think it to be incredibly annoying.

The thing with The Marshall Mathers LP is that when I was a kid I heard so much from it at one point or another, I guess I just never bothered with the album itself, to the point where I never realize that I haven't actually heard it :lol:. I probably should get around to that.

Understandable. There's significantly more thought-provoking material on the album than the singles, even including "Stan," would let on. "Criminal" is a great example of that, with Em taking on critics who claim that lyrics=reality. The skits are pretty awful, and I deleted them, but that's pretty typical for me with hip-hop skits. I dislike 99.99999% of them.

The new Lupe album is going to be awful. :(

Por qué?

You've heard the new singles, yes? Shouldn't have to say more.

"I think the war on terror is bullshit/just a poor excuse to waste all y'all bullets"

Actually, other than "The Show Goes On," I haven't heard the new singles. Any chance he's releasing the worst of the batch early?

Based on some of the freestyles he's been doing recently, I'm pretty psyched for Lasers yet.

Lupe Fiasco – H.A.M. (Freestyle) | Hypebeast

And, these are for IWB:

YouTube - Atmosphere- GodLovesUgly

YouTube - Atmosphere - Fuck You Lucy

YouTube - Atmosphere - One of A Kind...

good call on recommending ATLiens, i'm sure it comes as no surprise to hear me back that up. the production is astounding. it could come out in 2013 and you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

LASERS LEAKED A FEW HOURS AGO! :hyper:

(Travis, I know you're not as psyched about this as you were a few months ago, but still! Wooooooo!)

Hmm, that was underwhelming. It would be glorious if record labels didn't castrate their rappers, since it's obvious that Lupe hasn't lost his skills based on those recent freestyles, so I can't imagine it's anything other than Atlantic wanting a more accessible sound. :down:

See? This is what I was afraid of, based on the singles. Sucks to hear that, but I'll try it later.

I'm worried about the production on the new Raekwon being substandard also, considering he refused RZA. Not expecting a Ghostdini from that though.

I suppose so. I had a limited familiarity with them before the Fallon thing, but didn't really go into it much because I was confused by their release history and how most of the stuff is solo albums featuring the other guys.

Gotcha. For me, it's slightly annoying to have people all over Tyler when Earl Sweatshirt's really the better MC. Tyler is a fantastic producer, no doubt, but I'm often more impressed with other releases from the group, like MellowHype's BlackenedWhite, than his solo stuff. But, you know, good for them and all. Tyler wanted to get big, and he succeeded, so I can't get too mad about it.

Earnie Shavers said:

What a sad story. I know it makes me sound like a dick, but I was personally offended as I listened to Lasers, offended by what Atlantic did to the man's sound. It's very clear that the record does not have his stamp of approval, and it sucks for him that he will have to tour something he doesn't believe in. All my sympathies there.

That being said, he was responsible for the lyrics of the album, and they do largely blow. He's lost all nuance and cleverness. It's just awful, and I wish the apologists would just admit to themselves that EVERYONE mailed in Lasers.

All Black Everything is pretty cool. Apparently, Lupe likes that one too. That gives me hope.

What a sad story. I know it makes me sound like a dick, but I was personally offended as I listened to Lasers, offended by what Atlantic did to the man's sound. It's very clear that the record does not have his stamp of approval, and it sucks for him that he will have to tour something he doesn't believe in. All my sympathies there.

That being said, he was responsible for the lyrics of the album, and they do largely blow. He's lost all nuance and cleverness. It's just awful, and I wish the apologists would just admit to themselves that EVERYONE mailed in Lasers.

All Black Everything is pretty cool. Apparently, Lupe likes that one too. That gives me hope.

Agreed on all three points.

"All Black Everything" leaked a few days before Lasers, and I remember thinking, "If a good chunk of the album is like this, it'll be ok." Too bad it wasn't.

Rappers is talking to me as if (come on)
We in the same boat I tell them quick no I move Coke! (uh uhh)
And you and I don't share no common bond
So forgive me if I don't recieve you with open arms (No)
It shames me to no end,
To feed poison to those who could very well be my kin (uh huh)
But where there's demand, someone will supply
So I feed them their needs at the same time cry
Yes it pains me to see them needness
All of them lost souls and I'm their Jesus
Deepest regret and sympathy to the street
I see no pity for they fix when they kids couldn't eat (so sorry)
And with this in mind, I still didn't quit
And that's how I know, that I aint shit (I aint shit)
My heart bleed but that's aside from the fact
I live from my kids and theirs and them youngins after that

dawson.gif

I Don't Wanna Care Right Now, State Run Radio and Break the Chain are three of the worst songs I've ever heard and they're on the same goddamn album.

The new Gambino EP is sounding great.

So the new Raekwon is pretty meh. Actually reminds of Apollo Kids; not awful but far below what Wu-Tang is (still) capable of. The beats are totally generic, mostly no name producers on here (I guess they blew out their production budget getting Dre on Cuban Linx 2). Anyway, big letdown coming off of OB4CL2.

So the new Raekwon is pretty meh. Actually reminds of Apollo Kids; not awful but far below what Wu-Tang is (still) capable of. The beats are totally generic, mostly no name producers on here (I guess they blew out their production budget getting Dre on Cuban Linx 2). Anyway, big letdown coming off of OB4CL2.
Yeah, he's got some good flow, but the beats just aren't there on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom