Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:doh: Ok, see, that makes perfect sense, and really was what I assumed it meant all along, but at the same time, I just. wasn't. sure.

i've been meaning to listen to Straight Outta Compton and The Chronic for months... i will once DI is over. i've also downloaded the three De La Soul albums after 3FtHigh. De La are playing ...is Dead in full in Feb and i'm gonna go.

also, fyi, there's a rambling review of Outkast's debut that i just posted in the random thread, i forgot about this one.

i'm looking forward to Lasers as well, i've really enjoyed every Lupe track i've heard.

i'm looking forward to Lasers as well, i've really enjoyed every Lupe track i've heard.

Most definitely...it's going to be amazing. I listened to both Food & Liquor and The Cool this afternoon/evening in excitement.

I should listen to Outkast more often...I've only heard their early albums a handful of times.

Also, I fucking miss Tupac. We need more rappers like him today. Fuck Lil Wayne (even though he's on my DI list this time around...circumstances called for it).

tumblr_lf1ol5dZQo1qfwshko1_500.gif

tumblr_lfagd9FVP41qbdovzo1_400.gif

Motherfucker, I hit 'em up.

:sigh:

could you recommend me an album? i've got about 15 of his songs, but they're all tracks we downloaded back when we thought we were gangstas back in the day.

btw i was reading up on that song the other day, and apparently it was a b-side! not just that but a lot of people (Biggie included) seemed to think it was a massive overreaction to the whole East v West thing that was going on.

you are going to be pleased with a number of tracks on my DI list i think :wink:

:sigh:

could you recommend me an album? i've got about 15 of his songs, but they're all tracks we downloaded back when we thought we were gangstas back in the day.

btw i was reading up on that song the other day, and apparently it was a b-side! not just that but a lot of people (Biggie included) seemed to think it was a massive overreaction to the whole East v West thing that was going on.

you are going to be pleased with a number of tracks on my DI list i think :wink:

Oh man, well, it depends on what side of Tupac you're after. For a pretty well-rounded view, you can't go wrong with his Greatest Hits. It's surprisingly diverse and inclusive (although the editing of "pig" from "Trapped" is a continued source of frustration).

For politically conscious, yet fiery Black Panther-influenced 'Pac, go for 2Pacalypse Now.

For paranoid, introspective, about to go to jail 'Pac, go for Me Against the World.

A lot of people will recommend All Eyez On Me and say it's one of the best double albums ever created by a hip-hop artist, but there's a LOT of filler on it. The cream of the crop from the album is on the Greatest Hits.

Even with those three though, you're missing out on lots of gems like: "Holler If You Hear Me" and "Papa'z Song" (from Strictly for My N.I.G.G.A.Z.). But, that should get you started.

Thanks Cassie!

You know I joined this group on facebook back in the day, "if tupac and biggie were still alive lil' Wayne would be working at mcdonalds" :lol:

The fact that it came out the same year as Stankonia blows my mind. Is there any other excellent space-age hiphop like that? It's got to be a pretty minor niche, awesome though it may be.

The fact that it came out the same year as Stankonia blows my mind. Is there any other excellent space-age hiphop like that? It's got to be a pretty minor niche, awesome though it may be.

Del the Funky Homosapian is probably worth checking out, though I don't have specific recommendations because I've only heard his stuff in passing. Anyway, he's part of the Deltron 3030 group. Dr. Octagon and Handsome Boy Modeling School are other sort of spacey things too. You're right though, it's a small niche.

A minute into The Narrow Path and I'm sold. That's beautiful. I wanted some hip-hop tonight, and I think his album will do nicely. I'll report back shortly.

It was either this or Ridin' Dirty by UGK. I want proof that southern rap isn't crappy, outside of Dungeon Family.

Yeah, alright, that was a terrific recommendation, Cassie. Man. It was probably 3-4 songs too long, but I loved most of the tracks, so it's not a significant flaw either way. Blu is a terrific MC, and Exile's beats are lush. If there is a flaw with the songs themselves, it's that the lyrics swing too close to the autobiographical for my liking; it's the sort of TMI deal that sinks Kid Cudi for me, but this manages to slip by (for the most part) unscathed, because Blu is so much stronger an MC.

Yeah, alright, that was a terrific recommendation, Cassie. Man. It was probably 3-4 songs too long, but I loved most of the tracks, so it's not a significant flaw either way. Blu is a terrific MC, and Exile's beats are lush. If there is a flaw with the songs themselves, it's that the lyrics swing too close to the autobiographical for my liking; it's the sort of TMI deal that sinks Kid Cudi for me, but this manages to slip by (for the most part) unscathed, because Blu is so much stronger an MC.

Dude, glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, 60 minutes is long for any album, imo. I'm still a hardcore believer in the 40-45 minute album. It's the perfect length.

If I may ask, because I've seen you mention this before, what are you looking for lyrically, if not the autobiographical? To me, I guess it seems like a whole lot of hip-hop swings dangerously close to that line, so I'm pretty curious.

Dude, glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, 60 minutes is long for any album, imo. I'm still a hardcore believer in the 40-45 minute album. It's the perfect length.

If I may ask, because I've seen you mention this before, what are you looking for lyrically, if not the autobiographical? To me, I guess it seems like a whole lot of hip-hop swings dangerously close to that line, so I'm pretty curious.

I firmly believe Illmatic is probably the "best" hip-hop album of all time because it's so taut. No unnecessary tracks: all of them add up to the full, melancholic, beautiful picture.

The thing is, that album is also one of the most autobiographical around. And that's terrific. My beef with Blu is that, at least at this stage in his career, it seems as if all he could write about was himself, and while that's great in small doses, I felt the record got slightly navel-gazey in points. The storytelling wasn't quite as strong as I would hope. So, I dunno, I guess it's all a matter of degrees.

I firmly believe Illmatic is probably the "best" hip-hop album of all time because it's so taut. No unnecessary tracks: all of them add up to the full, melancholic, beautiful picture.

The thing is, that album is also one of the most autobiographical around. And that's terrific. My beef with Blu is that, at least at this stage in his career, it seems as if all he could write about was himself, and while that's great in small doses, I felt the record got slightly navel-gazey in points. The storytelling wasn't quite as strong as I would hope. So, I dunno, I guess it's all a matter of degrees.

I'm with you on Illmatic, which seems like it only gets better and more vivid the more listens I give it.

Ah, that all makes sense. I suppose that's what separates the greats from the mere mortals. :wink:

In other news, I'm listening to Big L's Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous for the first time. So far, so fucking '90s hip-hop good. The reasons for this album's acclaim are becoming clearer by the second.

it's the sort of TMI deal that sinks Kid Cudi for me

yep. Man on the Moon II was in the bottom five albums i heard last year for pretty much that very reason. i smoke a lot of weed, and bitches love me, and i'm rich and successful and famous but man, my life is horrible, and hears 70 minutes expressing explicitly why.

every time i listen to Illmatic i hear something new. i think with time it too will become one of my favourites. interesting that Jay-Z diss on him in i think it's "The Takeover" is along the lines of, "you had a big hit with Illmatic, but you've done fuck all since then". now i really like The Blueprint and Jay-Z (obviously) but having heard that and The Black Album he can't match the remarkable Illmatic.

yep. Man on the Moon II was in the bottom five albums i heard last year for pretty much that very reason. i smoke a lot of weed, and bitches love me, and i'm rich and successful and famous but man, my life is horrible, and hears 70 minutes expressing explicitly why.

every time i listen to Illmatic i hear something new. i think with time it too will become one of my favourites. interesting that Jay-Z diss on him in i think it's "The Takeover" is along the lines of, "you had a big hit with Illmatic, but you've done fuck all since then". now i really like The Blueprint and Jay-Z (obviously) but having heard that and The Black Album he can't match the remarkable Illmatic.

Have you heard his first album or an earlier mixtape, A Kid Named Cudi? Those aren't as depressing, though there is some of that, of course. It doesn't help that he went through a cocaine addiction before Man on the Moon II either...or that he signed with Kanye/G.O.O.D. Music, which is (shocking!) when his raps started to be a lot more lifestyle-based instead of introspective, if not a bit whiny.

i've heard a few tracks from both and enjoyed what i heard. i saw him live last year as well, and the more upbeat stuff was awesome, the depressing stuff just killed the mood. it might have to do with his less-than-great ability as an MC, cos others have pulled off depressing just fine.

Nope, I haven't. Usually, I'm not that keen on his albums as their own entities. They tend to have a few very strong tracks and a lot of not so great songs. Have you? If so, is it worth hearing?

Speaking of Kweli though, he's releasing a mixtape soonish, and I was listening to a couple of leaks from that, both fire: a freestyle and a remix of "I'm On One" with CyHi da Prynce.

I don't know if he's been mentioned, cuz I didn't read this entire thread, but Joe Budden is one of the greatest rappers I've heard in quite some time. Anyone who likes hip hop should really check this guy out if they havent already

Saw De La Soul last night. They were really good, entertaining. Unfortunately I always seem to walk away from hiphop gigs slightly underwhelmed... but that's taking nothing away from De La. So much for hearing ...is Dead in full though, they played stuff from 3 Feet High (Potholes in My Lawn, Me Myself & I), and some other stuff I didn't recognise. Ring Ring Ring went off, as you'd expect. It's by far their most popular song here. Sadly they only played a small portion of Pass the Plugs. Ooodles of O's was a welcome and very good surprise. Saturdays also went off. I was suprised though a lot of the stuff I didn't recognise were the highlights in a lot of ways. Heaps of energy. Better than Ice Cube. Maseo is a sick cunt. He did the laugh a few times (the one you can hear on Feel Good Inc), awesome shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom