Half a year has gone by - Best Albums of 2015 so far...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to catch up on a lot of 2015 albums.

Me too, bro. Me too.

Im probably stuck in mid 90s; still listening Superunknown and its the coolest thing

Wait, should I read Pitchfork to know about hip albums? not really?

Last edited:
Pitchfork can be a pain the ass, it's true, but I find the vast majority of their recommendations to be worth my time.

What about songs of the year?

Fourth of July and How Much a Dollar Cost are slugging it out in the ring. Neither song refuses to give up. Both are well and truly battered. Just when you think one has gained the advantage the other throws a massive right hook. It has been a truly mesmerising fight and one that, even now in the 45th round, looks no closer to ending.

I keep forgetting to check out that Metz album, and you guys aren't really inspiring me to do so. They're going to be like the Cloud Nothings to me, huh? Where I really liked an album, listened the fuck out of it when it came out, but never go back to it or care about future efforts.

Maybe I'll check out some more stuff you people have actually listened to. Cos none of the stuff I've heard is anything anyone here cares about. I like the new Agnostic Front (The American Dream Died) a lot. It feels sort of like a return to where they were at during the Something's Gotta Give/Riot Riot Upstart/Dead Yuppies epitaph records period of their career--a little more anthemic than either the classic NYHC of the old days, thankfully so over the sludgy nu-metal-y bullshit of Another Voice or the Warriors album. Consequentially, some of the issues with how Roger Miret's voice has aged that were painfully apparent on the last Disasters album are pretty prominent. But it's not exactly like AF is a band anyone was ever listening to for amazing vocals. Eye roll all you want, that's probably my favorite of the year so far. I guess this Warning Shots album was technically this year too, but I really only love the first 5 songs on it. I've been listening to them, and then just skipping to the Brad Logan cover the last several times I've listened to it.

That Godspeed Asunder Sweet & Other Distress was early this year, right? I enjoyed that quite a bit. Lightning Bolt's Fantasy Empire wasn't awful, either.

But probably, my most listened to new music from this year has been that Sinners & Saints/Ramallah EP.

Off the top of my head, some songs of the year:

Alpine - So Long
Best Coast - California Nights
Ghost Bath - Golden Number
God Is An Astronaut - Agneya, Helios Erebus
No Joy - Bolas
Purity Ring - Begin Again, Flood on the Floor, Stranger than Earth
Saycet - Mirages, Volcano
Say Lou Lou - Everything We Touch
Surf City - One Too Many Things
Westkust - Drown, Easy, Swirl
Wolf Alice - Bros, Freazy, Lisbon, Soapy Water

I keep forgetting to check out that Metz album, and you guys aren't really inspiring me to do so. They're going to be like the Cloud Nothings to me, huh? Where I really liked an album, listened the fuck out of it when it came out, but never go back to it or care about future efforts.

I don't know why some people here are talking it down. Listened to it again yesterday and am convinced it's superior to the debut. For what it's worth, both albums are rated dead even on RYM.

I'll listen to it eventually. Maybe when I go home. I have this aux hole here at work, but no cord. So sad.

It's a biased, condescending, mostly poorly written website. But if you're looking for new music, I guess you can check it out. But there are plenty of websites like that one out there, and some aren't nearly as annoying.

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
2. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
3. Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters
4. Speedy Ortiz - Foil Deer
5. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday
6. Björk - Vulnicura
7. Balthazar - Thin Walls
8. Joey Bada$$ - B4DA$$
9. Jamie xx - In Colour
10. Blur - The Magic Whip

Whoever that dude is rapping/yelping on Jamie xx's Good Times, holy hell is that annoying.

It's a biased, condescending, mostly poorly written website. But if you're looking for new music, I guess you can check it out. But there are plenty of websites like that one out there, and some aren't nearly as annoying.

Agree about Pitchfork. Which sites do you prefer to visit for new music?

Top 10 Albums (so far):

1. Florence and the Machine - How Big How Blue How Beautiful
2. The Decemberists - What A Beautiful World...
3. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
4. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think...
5. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
6. Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - After
7. Blur - The Magic Whip
8. Laura Marling - Short Movie
9. Torres - Sprinter
10. Marriages - Salome

Songs of the Year - Three-way tie between "Pedestrian at Best" (Courtney Barnett), "Strange Hellos" (Torres) and "How Big How Blue How Beautiful" (Florence)

I finally discover Squarepusher, though.....his newest album isnt really all that "good". though, i could be just becoming one of those electronica hater

Last edited:
Agree about Pitchfork. Which sites do you prefer to visit for new music?

If we're only sticking to the Internet, I focus more on going to forums that focus on my favourite bands and frequently check out their respective "Other Music" sections.

Well I finally listened to this:

https://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/album/third-side-of-tape

Now I'm more certain than ever that this has been a GREAT year for hip hop. Every style of music under the sun is in here (boom bap, trap, metal, indie rock, folk, jazz, electronic, etc.) and most of it is really well executed. Donate $3 and you get all 130 minutes.

It's a shame that two of the best albums of the year (this and Kamasi Washington's debut) are over 2 hours long, but what can you do.

Last edited:
I think I've got an official #3 at this point (behind Kendrick & Sufjan). I fucking love this Alpine album.

I'm yet to hear the Kamasi Washington joint, I really want it on vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My top two is very firmly Purity Ring and Wolf Alice, but I'm not sure which is #1.

Glad you love the new Alpine album so much, Cobbler - though I think their first remains the superior album by a good distance. Nothing on the new album quite gets me going the same way In the Wild does. And maybe it's nostalgia talking (in fact it almost certainly is) but my favourite release of theirs is the Zurich EP. Heartlove, Villages, and Tough Skin are three of my top five Alpine tracks.

Well my love for Yuck had me wondering whether I gave A is for Alpine (what a fucking horrible name) a fair go. I think I came to it pretty late after its release. I'm listening to it now and it's great too. I still like Yuck more but there's probably more better guitar riffs on this. Lovers 2, Villages :)drool:), Too Safe.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I suppose the thing that helped me love Alpine's debut straight away - and notice I'm not using that shithouse title - is that I knew and loved almost all the songs already from concerts. When it came out I think the only two songs I didn't know already were All For One (which I'd now rank with In the Wild and Villages as being in the album's top three) and Multiplication (the only Alpine song they've done live that I've never heard in concert, since it was only played during a couple of support slots for... some random I wasn't interested in).

To be honest, Yuck isn't a great title either and I keep thinking of the English band of that name. The only Alpine release that has both a title and a cover I like is the Zurich EP.

The Purity Ring album is awesome. I feel like both her voice and delivery improved on this one. Or, at least, this one grabbed me more than the debut. Love that album art, too.

Thank god somebody agrees with me, since it hasn't seemed to have that great a reception here. Fucking amazing album. I love it to pieces.

My Top Scores From AlbumOfTheYear:

Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - After (100/100)

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
Jlin - Dark Energy
Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper
Sharon Van Etten - I Don't Want To Let You Down
Sheer Mag - II
Tame Impala - Currents
Waxahatchee - Ivy Trip (90/100)

Holly Herndon - Platform (85/100)

Anthony Naples - Body Pill
Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2
Blur - The Magic Whip
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Surf
Holly Miranda
Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, Girl
Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs
Lower Dens - Escape From Evil
Mikal Cronin - MCIII
Nao - February 15
Passion Pit - Kindred
Purity Ring - Another Eternity
Twerps - Range Anxiety
Various Artists - Remembering Mountains: Unheard Songs By Karen Dalton (80/100)

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (75/100)

Amen Dunes - Cowboy Worship (70/100)

Own all of those that exist on vinyl and have basically everything backed up in my digital library with a FLAC version (and occasionally, a 24-Bit version). This list also doesn't include about 20 cassette tapes from this year that I purchased.

Last edited:
Songs of the Year - Three-way tie between "Pedestrian at Best" (Courtney Barnett), "Strange Hellos" (Torres) and "How Big How Blue How Beautiful" (Florence)

Those are all great, but "Ship To Wreck"? Fuck me, that is a songgggggg.

Great call on Alpine, guys! I'm loving A is for and Yuck is not bad either. Actually I'm pretty much addicted to this right now. :up::up:

Back
Top Bottom