Gotye - Somebody that I Use to Know (feat. Kimbra)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, cobl04 posted this video in the Random Music Talk thread a few days ago and I enjoyed it greatly. :up:

Sounds a bit like Sting....

Well over it, but I was never really into it though. Never understood the fuss. Don't like his and her voice.

Heart's A Mess, his other "hit", was really good though.

Gotye has the occasional interesting song but then he has many a bland, terribly unintersting song too. One of the new ones 'I feel better' (I think is the title) is so lame it could as well be a jingle for Medibank Private. And no, not just because of the name.

He's trying too hard.

On the other hand, some of the stuff he put out a few years ago is pretty good.

I get the vibe (he namedchecked the young steve winwood re. vocals, in a recent interview), and ok it has a rather nice horn arrangement... but jesus the lyrics are trite.

I didn't care much for that cut off right at the end, otherwise, great song, I like it quite a bit. She was a lot weaker than he was, but eh. Anything passed the one song worth listening to?

EDIT: :doh: that's what I get for reading closely. I'll give the album a go at some point.

I'm surprised that I hadn't listened to this song until now, because 1. of how much friggin' Cobbler has been touting its virtues and 2. I've been following Kimbra's career since seeing her put on an amazing show in a tiny club last year. She's incredible live ... and probably the better of the two in this song, even if it doesn't show off the extent of her vocal talent. She's going to be huge if her surge in popularity over the last few months is anything to go by.

Anyway, that's a good song, I can only presume Triple J can barely contain itself.

I reckon you're all wrong; 'someone I used to know' is good actually, and may get close, but no banana. I predict that the Triple Jay Hottest 100 Number One will go to that atrocious 'its nice to be alive' song by Ballpark Music.

Dude read one Dawkins book and suddenly he's a philosopher.

--------

Either that or... say, whatever happened to Missy Higgins? Wasn't she supposed to be the great white hope of music?

Kieran McConville said:
Either that or... say, whatever happened to Missy Higgins? Wasn't she supposed to be the great white hope of music?

Probably giving something back to Geelong Grammar, and teaching music to the Grade 1/2's... or playing the "is she/isn't she a" lesbian game in the publicity lead-up to a new album.

Glad she fell swiftly off the radar. Her voice sounded atrocious.

Pretty decent second album, awesome live. Thus, my avatar probably suggestes I'm bias.

1. She plays Piano
2. She is Female

"My one weakness, My achilles heel, if you will."

I reckon you're all wrong; 'someone I used to know' is good actually, and may get close, but no banana. I predict that the Triple Jay Hottest 100 Number One will go to that atrocious 'its nice to be alive' song by Ballpark Music.

Not a chance, I'd say. The Gotye song's been playing like mad on JJJ, Nova and at least one of the big popular stations, if my channel surfing has been anything to go by. I would be very, very surprised if it doesn't get to number 1.

I don't mind it, personally, took me a while to grow to it though.

As for Missy Higgins I hope she was left in the Pilbara somewhere after the filming of Bran Nue Dae.

This song will be taking home the "More annoying than hearing Adele 100 times a day on the radio award" at the next Arias.

:laugh:
agreed.

I'm still liking the song for now but need to enjoy it while it lasts, soon I will be sighing "again?".

Adele :rollseyes: suffering badly from overplay, especially on those freakin Underbelly ads.
Also Bruno Mars.....he's always so chirpy and happy but really, all day every day? :madwife:

Back
Top Bottom