Frontmen/women you love and who rub you the wrong way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
I'm talking about ONLY lead singers of groups not solo artists. Here are my very subjective top ten lists in no particular order:

Can't Stand
Anthony Kiedis (Flea is the real brains behind RHCP I feel)
Sting (though I do love the Police)
Jim Morrison
Henry Rollins
Debrah Harry
Fergie
Will.i.am
Van Morrison (THEM-era of course)
Noel Gallagher
Sammy Hagar

Love
Bono (duh!)
Freddie Mercury
Mick Jagger
Robert Plant
David Lee Roth
David Byrne
Bryan Ferry
Simon Le Bon
Phil Lynott
Dave Gahan

What would be you all's lists?

I chuckled at the inclusion of Them.

Do you just really not like Van Morrison and wanted to include him on the list, despite that he's been a solo artist for decades? I know that he's known for being a cantankerous old fart, but is he really well known for being an asshole while he was with Them? Do you think Them would have been a totally bitchin' band with some other frontman, but Van totally fucked them over?

I'm really digging deep into this, I know. :wink:

I'm talking about ONLY lead singers of groups not solo artists. Here are my very subjective top ten lists in no particular order:

Can't Stand
Anthony Kiedis (Flea is the real brains behind RHCP I feel)
Sting (though I do love the Police)
Jim Morrison
Henry Rollins
Debrah Harry
Fergie
Will.i.am
Noel Gallagher
Sammy Hagar

I like pretty much all of those except for Van Morrison. Totally over-rated artist IMO. Boring, plodding, unoriginal music made by a man who has always taken himself way too seriously. And is taken way too seriously by his fanbase.

Each to their own!

Unoriginal? Great news! I want more albums like Astral Weeks and Veedon Fleece. Please point me towards those.

Unoriginal? Great news! I want more albums like Astral Weeks and Veedon Fleece. Please point me towards those.

Never heard of them, but I assume he has released other albums in that vein, in between cheating on his wife and just being an ignorant twat in general. A complete pig of a man in every respect.

Summertime in England is a class track, admittedly. Just needs a decent singer is all.

Never heard of them

WUT. Never heard of Astral Weeks?

As a related-aside: is he pretty big in over there? Do people over in Ireland or Northern Ireland care a whit about him? Or is he considered somewhat of a legend only elsewhere?

I don't care if the guy's an adultering dickwad. I'm really into his music these days.

If I stopped listening to music by people who cheated or were otherwise assholes, that would leave me with .... uh ........ well, a very small CD collection, I'm sure. :wink:

Can't Stand
Bono (duh!)
Freddie Mercury
Mick Jagger
Robert Plant
David Lee Roth
David Byrne
Bryan Ferry
Simon Le Bon
Phil Lynott
Dave Gahan

Love

Anthony Kiedis (the real brains behind RHCP I feel)
Sting (I do love the Police)
Jim Morrison
Henry Rollins
Debrah Harry
Fergie
Will.i.am
Noel Gallagher
Sammy Hagar

If I stopped listening to music by people who cheated or were otherwise assholes, that would leave me with .... uh ........ well, a very small CD collection, I'm sure. :wink:
seriously. i'm not saying adultery is a-okay but come on. he's not the first guy to cheat on his wife and i'm sure he's not the only person mentioned on the list to do it. hell, i know off the top of my head mick jagger and sting cheated on their wives, so there you go.

plus he was big enough in ireland to be put on a stamp in 2002, so i don't get how anyone there (maybe a teen these days sadly) couldn't know of his most popular albums, especially if they're going to say it's boring, plodding, and unoriginal. it'd be like someone in the uk not knowing what abbey road or revolver were, but saying the beatles sucked.

Yeah, you can't really label an artist that way not having heard their best material, or even having heard of it. Well, you can, you can say anything you want, but that opinion is useless to me.

Can't Stand
Bono (duh!)
Freddie Mercury
Mick Jagger
Robert Plant
David Lee Roth
David Byrne
Bryan Ferry
Simon Le Bon
Phil Lynott
Dave Gahan

Love

Anthony Kiedis (the real brains behind RHCP I feel)
Sting (I do love the Police)
Jim Morrison
Henry Rollins
Debrah Harry
Fergie
Will.i.am
Noel Gallagher
Sammy Hagar

I hope this is truely your opinion, cos' otherwise you're being a smart ass!:sad::sad:

Can't speak to Van Morrison's character but Astral Weeks is far and away his best. Since 1980 in particular, his music really has been as plodding and drab as Financeguy implies (with the odd exception).

Astral Weeks on the other hand, is ace.

I can't stand Gwen Stefani of No Doubt. I may like one or two of their songs, but Gwen annoys me. Her voice is whiny and her songs are shallow and are not about complex topics.

Now, Shirley Manson of Garbage is awesome! She has a strong voice along with great songwriting about the complexity of life and love. Oh, and Garbage's latest CD is freakin' great!

I love Gwen! I'm not saying the lyrics are that deep and meaningful, but live she's incredible and really works her ass off up there.

Other front-people I love: Bono, Guy Garvey!!!, Robert Plant, Shirley Manson, Brandon Flowers.

Frontpeople who I don't like: Caleb Followill, Paul Banks (not a fan of his vocal), and at times Chris Martin.

Kiedis would be one of my most hated. By far the worst thing about the band.

if the RHCP were an instrumental band maybe i'd like them. And especially after reading Scar Tissue and how he treated [my favorite pin-up] Christina Hendricks I can't even stand the sight of him much-less his voice.

I still want to know why you threw Van Morrison in there as a "frontman"! :lol:

Most people probably barely remember he ever fronted a group.

I still want to know why you threw Van Morrison in there as a "frontman"! :lol:

Most people probably barely remember he ever fronted a group.

Alright alright I was being technical. Sheesh I'll just replace him with Dale Bozzio of Missing Persons

Happy Now!!:lol::lol:

I say Johnny Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols)
There was just something about him, not to mention he was the typical 'spoiled rockstar'. Sure the Sex Pistols are influential and a super important band to punk history, but Johnny was a horrible frontman. He neglected himself with personal hygeine, (ew) and he was so arrogant! Arrogant and conceited to the point he felt himself to be a "monument". Plus, He didn't get along well with band members, he was extremely sarcastic (not in a funny way, either) and treated them like they were 'the help' or something.

So, I say either Lydon or maybe Axl Rose.

Back
Top Bottom