Flogging Molly - Float

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So I preordered the new Flogging Molly album, Float. And then discovered that it has been leaked. It's actually a really good release, but there's something about it I can't place my finger on yet that bugs me. It seems front-loaded, which was a problem I had with the first two albums, but not on Within a Mile of Home. Still, the songs "Requiem for a Dying Dream," "Paddy's Lament," "Float," and "Lightning Storm" are among the best the band has ever released, even if "Float" is too reminiscient of "Selfish Man" from Swagger. I may post a more detailed review once I've given it a few more listens, but as of now I'd give it a solid 7.5. A quite good album, brilliant in places, but missing something of the last release.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Holy shit, it debuted at number 4 on the Billboard 200.

wow.

i haven't really given it much of a listen to yet. been listening too within a mile of home quite a bit, though.

I didn't love it at first, but after repeated listens, it's grown on me a lot. There are a few songs towards the end that make me go "eh," but it's more of an indifference than a dislike. Once "Man with No Country" kicks in, though, it's back to awesome. It also has one of the most impressive 5-song stretches to open an album that I've heard in a while.

As of right now, I'd actually put it just behind Within a Mile of Home in studio album rankings.

1. Within a Mile of Home
2. Float
3. Drunken Lullabyes
4. Swagger

Am I a bad person for putting Swagger so low?

yes, you're a terrible person for it. :wink: (thus making me a terrible person as well because that's where it would fall on my list, too)

drunken lullabies will probably always be my favorite.

i got temporarily sidetracked by the new loved ones album, build & burn. and i'm back on a dkm kick after last weekend. so i'll get to it eventually. :shifty:

I haven't bought it or heard any of the new songs. I did listen to them some yesterday in honor of St. Patty's though. I don't think I ever spent enough time with Within A Mile of Home, as every time I listen to any of the songs from it I always think that it's really good. Same as IWB, I too will always have soft spot for Drunken Lullabies as it was my introduction to them.

I haven't bought the "new" DKM album either.... I really need to fix that though, this last week they had 3 of the songs from it as free downloads for Guitar Hero 3 on Xbox Live. I downloaded them and liked them all. Not sure how I never picked it up, I saw that they have a new deluxe version out though. Is it the version to get? I am expecting your info on this, IWB and UF.

u2popmofo said:

I haven't bought the "new" DKM album either.... I really need to fix that though, this last week they had 3 of the songs from it as free downloads for Guitar Hero 3 on Xbox Live. I downloaded them and liked them all. Not sure how I never picked it up, I saw that they have a new deluxe version out though. Is it the version to get? I am expecting your info on this, IWB and UF.

Get the limited edition Meanest of Times. While I can't speak to the DVD content, I will say I really like some of the bonus material. The new piano-based take on "Forever" is pretty awesome, basically the live arrangement from the last few years. I believe I've heard "Thick Skin of Defiance" somewhere, but I haven't heard breakdown. As for the other two tracks, the original version of "(F)lannigan's Ball" is solid and the cover of "Jailbreak" is very good. I don't think it's being sold much more expensively than the standard, so I'd say go for it. The extra tracks are non-essential, but good.

if you're going to get the album at all, go for the version with the extras. the dvd is nothing special, but you might as well get the extra tracks.

of course, by now you might have already made the purchase...

IWasBored said:

of course, by now you might have already made the purchase...

Yeah, weeks back. If you would freaking return to the internet you'd have known that!!!!

:mad:
:angry:
:grumpy:

:up:

i still haven't really listened to it, other than that one time i put it in when i bought it. i heard a bunch of it live when i saw them last march, they kinda all sounded the same...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom