Fleet Foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really liked a couple of the songs off their first album/EP but I just can't anymore with this band. They're so fucking soft. Twee bullshit. Sorry.

That might be true but I got about 30 seconds into the second track and just couldn't do it anymore. I think I might just have a problem with the dude's vocals, among other things.

I was never able to really get into the last one, but I like this one a lot. It may be a bit too long, maybe 2-3 tracks could've been cut, but I liked it all the way through. Probably and AOTY candidate. Mykonos is one of my favorite songs of the 00s and this is probably the most I've enjoyed FF since then.

I have listened. I bought the last record but never really listened to it. It's interesting... it's a REALLY pretty record, but to me kind of just feels like really nice background noise? I love the Grizzly Bear vibes of the first track, but not much else stands out, aside from Maestranza.

This trend of physical releases coming out months and months after digital is quite annoying. If you preorder now you get the record in February. How does that make any sense? Same thing with Fiona earlier this year.

This trend of physical releases coming out months and months after digital is quite annoying. If you preorder now you get the record in February. How does that make any sense? Same thing with Fiona earlier this year.

And Taylor.

Third for me so far, though much closer to second than forth.

I don’t think they will ever top the debut in my opinion. It’s literally the perfect record for its genre start to finish.

My third favorite too, but that's no insult when they're one of the most consistent bands of their time. Everything they release is quality.

I just find the first one way too over-the-top. Like, "ooooh! Look at me! I'm singing important folk music. Listen to this very somber affect in my voice. Listen to the slight echoing of the vocals. It is deep. It is M o o d y." And that's TOTALLY fine. I love that first album.

This one just felt more naturally folk, pleasant, and it sounded like it could've come out in the 60s, which I also vibe with.

I guess part of what’s holding me back also from considering this for the top spot on a list of Fleet Foxes albums is that it’s a Robin Pecknold solo album. None of the other band members played. It’s all studio musicians. That kinda bums me out. I mean I still like it a lot, but I’ll never be able to get that out of my head. The line is that they didn’t participate due to the pandemic, but just about anyone can record remotely these days, so it seems more like an excuse than a reason.

The first one has fucking great songwriting. Like, really great. White Winter Hymnal sounds like it's been around for centuries. Blue Ridge Mountains is so dynamic and powerful. The production from Phil Ek is huge, cavernous and rustic and it works great. I know it sounds like hipster folk now that everyone has robbed from it, but those songs are so good and will always sound good. It reminds me of Murmur in that way, a classic debut with an ageless quality to it.

Shores has great songs too. It's a little long and the production is dense in a radio rock kind of way that I don't care for, but the tunes and performances are there, as always. Robin's voice still sounds great.

Last edited:
I relistened to the debut today after a long absence. Yes, those songs are fantastic, and I love them.

My memory of them also wasn't wrong, though. It does feel VERY self important. Like they were doing an acoustic set for some YouTube channel and wanted to make sure they conveyed how emotional and important everything is with long dramatic pauses where the music drops out.

I don't dislike that or begrudge it! (much) but it's not something I enjoy listening to on the regular, so I'm not surprised I enjoy this one more.

I was also sad to realize Your Protector is no longer my favorite song on the album. I used to be obsessed with that one. But for me the whole album gets swallowed up by White Winter Hymnal getting stuck in my head for the next month after I listen to it. Not sure if good or bad thing.

My memory of them also wasn't wrong, though. It does feel VERY self important. Like they were doing an acoustic set for some YouTube channel and wanted to make sure they conveyed how emotional and important everything is with long dramatic pauses where the music drops out.

I wish I could understand where you are coming from with this, but I really can't. :lol: The lyrics aren't especially weighty or anything, and the instrumentation never goes for anything super dramatic. Are you talking about Oliver James specifically?

Oliver James, for sure. I can't recall what other song was making me think that, but there was definitely one or two others.

But for sure, Oliver James is the biggest offender.

Back
Top Bottom