everyone has forgot the talking heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
with this talk of coldplays/killers/modest mouse/whoever the fuck else/ is the "new" u2, ripped them off, however you wanna see it, how about the talking heads? they are HUGE influence on u2 and this followers. how come its u2 thats being "ripped off" and not them? And i don't agree really with the ripping off take, but how has their name never come up yet? for any reason? Forget the radiohead lovefest for a minute, (not that its not deserved). The talking heads could record sneezing and it would be epic.

because i have seen similar things (not about the heads, but some bizarre u2 is like radiohead/ coldplay ripped off u2/ etc ) in this section before and it has to do with u2 because u2 is actually getting a little too MUCH credit for these new wave of bands. the heads have as much do to with it as u2. If i was just posting about the heads, and not anything to do with u2, then yea it belongs in the off topic. this involves u2. And also not enough credit seems to be given to them for influencing u2 itself. I mean its not like i posted a review of a talking heads album and no mention of u2 anywhere in the post.

I think that even though they share the Eno link their influence can't really be detected musically

When I listen to U2, I don't hear the Talking Heads. In my opinion, both bands - even if one came out first - are so close together in their rise, that there wasn't a lot of cross influence.

Now, are some Heads' songs similar to what U2 have created today? Sure! And I would argue that if Heads' were making constant music now, the reverse would be true as well. And part of that is that in a 3 to 4 minute song, there will be lines repeated (such as the "touch me" part of BD that is a bit similar to the AHA song - even though it's only 2 words), and sounds repeated. Just as the Beatles were influenced by artists from the 50's and early 60's, U2 were influenced by them just as today's artists are influnced by U2.

I don't have a problem with influence. What I think is really an issue is that some bands, like Coldplay, can at times sound SO similar to U2 that people think it is U2! I recall when "Clocks" was released - so many people thought that was a new U2 song! One of my friends, who lived about a 1000 miles from me at the time, had people coming to him saying how they love the new U2 song! And that's the issue - influence is good :up:, but almost direct emulation is not. :no:

im hearing a insane heads influence in modest mouse. more then u2. i mean u2 still has something to do with it, but after a closer listen i saw the heads's fingerprints on some songs

im hearing a insane heads influence in modest mouse. more then u2. i mean u2 still has something to do with it, but after a closer listen i saw the heads's fingerprints on some songs

uhh... i've never heard anyone say modest mouse were influenced by U2. they don't really sound like them at all. but okay.

uhh... i've never heard anyone say modest mouse were influenced by U2. they don't really sound like them at all. but okay.

Exactly...

Coldplay I hear U2 with more piano.

The Killers I hear U2 and Duran Duran.

Modest Mouse I can hear Talking Heads, but I would need to list to more Modest Mouse to really say who else...

Interesting Which Modest Mouse albums do you mean? Most of the standard comparisons since the very beginning have been with the Pixies, which I think makes considerable more sense than Talking Heads to my ears.

Similarly, if we're going to make illusions to U2 copying other bands earlier on, I think Television makes more sense than the Talking Heads.

Regardless, if you posted more in Bang and Clatter, you'd find there are a large number of people on this forum who are still Talking Heads fans, myself included.

I haven't forgotten about the Talking Heads.

Don't worry. Nobody has. As you know, there's something we call a "canon" of music--the Talking Heads had firmly secured its place in it before U2'd even recorded an album. No worries. I guess that this fact has slipped by a few people, but whatever. Case in point:

Forgot them? Sorry, I barely noticed that they ever existed....

Absolutely hilarious.

i hear oldschool rem in one of the songs on springsteen's most recent album. OMG! i should go make a thread...

Back
Top Bottom