Embarrassing Musical Confessions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^

In principle, this is why the 80s were the best decade for music, imo. There was so much quality writing going on that you could have numerous favorites spanning many different genres...and somehow they all became popular. It was less marginalized or compartmentalized or whatever.

I disagree that 1814 was her best though. Control was the shit. Come Back to Me is a great tune but it's more standard heartbreak than anything. Now, Funny How Time Flies? THAT'S something to get it on with.

:wink:

At least my tastes are actually RnB and not imaginings of a marketing manager's wet dream. But people have put Shaggy. What's so embarrasing about him? He's recent release was more stylistic than some of his material. He sells bucketloads of singles over here. Angel sold more than the Band Aid single.

At least my tastes are actually RnB and not imaginings of a marketing manager's wet dream. But people have put Shaggy. What's so embarrasing about him? He's recent release was more stylistic than some of his material. He sells bucketloads of singles over here. Angel sold more than the Band Aid single.

he.put.his.mic.down.his.pants. If that isn't embarassing I don't know what is...

And with that sentence you handily sum up the problem with alternative rock (circa late 90s), it's sad what 'alternative' became, imo.

I do kindof like MB20 though. But I consider them fairly basic pop rock, really :shrug:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call them "alternative" by most standards, but when it comes to most of the drivel that's been popular in the mainstream for the past 10 years, you can do a lot worse than MB20. There's only a few songs by them that I like. "3 Am" and "Unwell" are just quality songs, period. "Bright Lights" and "How Far We've Come" are good too.

Ok, I officially love "Gives You Hell" by the All-American Rejects.:reject: What's wrong with me? But, honestly, this song is how you do pop right.

I haven't heard that one, but I cannot even tell you how much I love their song "Move Along." It's a great turn-it-up-and-drive-fast song, and it rocks.

The only Matchbox 20 (I will capitalize their name as an affront to Rob Thomas) song I like is "Real World," which I think is a delightful pop song.

I haven't heard that one, but I cannot even tell you how much I love their song "Move Along." It's a great turn-it-up-and-drive-fast song, and it rocks.

The only Matchbox 20 (I will capitalize their name as an affront to Rob Thomas) song I like is "Real World," which I think is a delightful pop song.

"Real World" is good too. I forgot about that one. And I love "Smooth", the song Rob Thomas did with Santana. That song just kicks ass. Also, you need to Youtube "Gives You Hell" ASAP. It's a damn catchy song, and the video is hilarious.

I liked "Smooth" the first eight million times I heard it. By listen # 8,000,001, I'd really had enough and have never liked it since.

I liked "Smooth" the first eight million times I heard it. By listen # 8,000,001, I'd really had enough and have never liked it since.

Oh, it totally got over-played. I couldn't even listen to it for a few years. But, now I like it again. I remember the song had just come out when one of my friends turned 12, we got to have a "fancy" birthday party and rent out the pool at a really nice hotel, and we made up a dance to this song that became the sort of thing legends are made of.:lol:

I agree that "Smooth" got overplayed like hell but I still love it. I don't really like Rob Thomas as a singer but hearing "Smooth" butchered on Australian Idol last year made me appreciate even more what a fine job he did on that song.

I'm not sure how embarrassing this is, but one of my Top 50 All Time favorite albums is Janet Jackson' s Rhythm Nation 1814. It's probably Janet's best album and I can't believe it came out almost 20 years ago. I guess you could say that 1814 was one of the last great albums from the 1980's.

I just played that record because you mentioned it. It's a good one! :up: My favourites are the title track and Black Cat.

:bump:

I really, really like the T.I./Justin Timberlake song "Dead and Gone". It's a damn good song. I'm never embarassed by anything Justin Timberlake related. He's brilliant. I'm a little concerned with the T.I. thing now. This is the 3rd song by him I like, along with "Live Your Life" and "What You Know" from one of his older albums.:reject:

people say Beyonce is overrated or cannot sing live or well.

I think she is fecking amazing! :up:

I liked Beyonce better when she was with Destiny's Child. I'm talkin like old school late 90's Writing's On The Wall era Destiny's Child. She sold out and became too famous and now I don't like her that much anymore.

My confession would be that I like Live (the band). The Distance To Here would be one of my top ranked albums ever. But Live seem ever so unpopular thesedays.

Back
Top Bottom