Duran Duran Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love the album. if i were to make an audio post about it, i'd sound like axver talking about htdaab. there are a couple songs i'm not crazy about (watc and i gotta be in the mood for ykmws) but i love danceophobia far more than i should.

I have two friends that are fellow fans who I met up with over the weekend. We were talking about our thoughts on the album and both of them absolutely hate Danceophobia with a passion! One of them was saying, "You just know it's going to be one of the songs they're going to play live!", like it was the worst thing ever. When it came to my two cents, I would just say, "Well, it's not that bad..." :D

For what it's worth, YKMWS has been growing on me over the past few days too...

I listened to it once today and I have to say:

I liked it. I liked it a lot. I liked it a lot more than their last couple albums.

I have to amend my earlier post: I frickin' LOVE this album!!!! :love::love::love::love: I think it's the best one since Astronaut and probably my favorite DD album since Notorious!

For me, ever since Notorious, they became a singles band until Astronaut. Notorious was the last album of their that I thought every song was, at minimum good, with the majority of the songs being better than good; an album I could listen to all the way through from start-to-finish. Astronaut was the next album of theirs that I felt that way about, and now Paper Gods. I genuinely like every single song and it's an album I can listen to the whole way through, start to finish. I cannot say that about All You Need Is Now. And I certainly can't say that about the Wedding Album (which I've never understood all the fuss about that album because it really only has 2 or 3 good songs on it and the rest is absolute filler!).

So, not everyone may agree with me, but I for one am so happy they finally made a really, really good album that I can listen to the whole way through! Love it!

I have to amend my earlier post: I frickin' LOVE this album!!!! :love::love::love::love: I think it's the best one since Astronaut and probably my favorite DD album since Notorious!

For me, ever since Notorious, they became a singles band until Astronaut. Notorious was the last album of their that I thought every song was, at minimum good, with the majority of the songs being better than good; an album I could listen to all the way through from start-to-finish. Astronaut was the next album of theirs that I felt that way about, and now Paper Gods. I genuinely like every single song and it's an album I can listen to the whole way through, start to finish. I cannot say that about All You Need Is Now. And I certainly can't say that about the Wedding Album (which I've never understood all the fuss about that album because it really only has 2 or 3 good songs on it and the rest is absolute filler!).

So, not everyone may agree with me, but I for one am so happy they finally made a really, really good album that I can listen to the whole way through! Love it!

The Wedding Album is filler?? There isn't a single DD album that is all filler. Not even RCM or Thank You. The Wedding Album is one of the band's best-- not just the singles, but Love Voodoo, Breath After Breath, None of the Above, Shelter, UMF, To Whom It May Concern, and Sin Of The City! Even though The Wedding Album does contain my least favorite DD song ever, Femme Fatale.

I have to be really honest with you-- your assessment of Duran sounds like someone who just listens to singles. Like the way I'd hear someone talk about U2 who can only sing Beautiful Day or WOWY. I hope I'm wrong! It's just that I can't honestly believe that someone well-versed on Duran would ever say that.

Sorry, I just hate when people make comments like "Best album since Rio" or "Duran have some good singles" or "Duran was good in the 80s." Again, it would be like someone saying all the same stuff about U2-- anyone who knows the depths of a band and all of their catalogue knows better.

Khanada, I was just getting ready to message you to talk about Paper Gods, but I guess I'll post here. This is an interesting album. The highs are REALLY high-- Face For Today, Universe Alone and Only In Dreams are the three major standouts to me-- and the lows are REALLY low-- I absolutely cannot stand Last Night in the City or Change The Skyline, and it's so rare that I straight up dislike a DD song.

The biggest letdown of this album for me is the total lack of instrumentation. That's what differentiated AYNIN-- the instruments were back after RCM. So it's a shame to have lost them again. Compared to AYNIN, the best songs on this album are better than the best songs on AYNIN, but I think AYNIN was a more consistent, solid album.

Last edited:
the Wedding Album (which I've never understood all the fuss about that album because it really only has 2 or 3 good songs on it and the rest is absolute filler!).
:bow: easily my least favourite of theirs. i gave it a revisit a few years ago under much duress and still am not a fan. in fact, what you consider to be the "two or three good songs" on there (ordinary world and come undone, the ones everyone loves) i hate and if i had some way to do so, i'd pay to never have to hear them again. (totally unrelated to dd but related to this comment, i also feel this way about u2's one so that tells you i just don't like those kind of songs)

my faves: danceophobia, change the skyline, only in dreams, valentine stones, face for today. i hesitate to put any of the initial songs we heard in my top five only because, not that i'm suffering from fatigue from them (i mean paper gods, lnitc, and pressure off i've all given five stars to on itunes) but just that everything else has a newness to it so if i had to pick one over the other, i'd pick a new song over one of the preview tracks. i think it's the best album since aynin :wink:

:bow: easily my least favourite of theirs. i gave it a revisit a few years ago under much duress and still am not a fan. in fact, what you consider to be the "two or three good songs" on there (ordinary world and come undone, the ones everyone loves) i hate and if i had some way to do so, i'd pay to never have to hear them again.

WHAT????

Khanada, you crazy.

(And I don't even love the Wedding Album because of the singles, it's the non-singles that are so good.)

(Also I'm surprised to see Change the Skyline in the top. I tried listening to it last night and I concluded that the song is just plain ugly and unpleasant to me.)

Initially disappointed by this one but hoping it will grow on me. Their last album was SOOOOO GOOD. Soundwise this is more like Red Carpet Massacre but not nearly as good (yet?)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just saw them live for the first time. AMAZING show, even if they messed up a few times. At the end of Rio, the crowd started chanting for The Reflex. The band looked more than ready to leave (Simon had said that he was sick), but they performed it. Just as they were leaving, he forced everyone to get off the stage before the crowd requested another song. :lol: Really happy I was able to see the show, my parents came along (they have already seen DD before) and had a blast.

Last edited:
I still really want to see them, but oh boy their most recent album is not very good.

And LA Fitness won't stop pimping "Pressure Off". I think I hear it there EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I go.

Whenever you get the chance to see them, go. The only songs from the new album that sounded great live were Paper Gods, Pressure Off and What Are the Chances. I've never been a big fan of Last Night in the City and I've never liked Danceophobia, but the latter was a medley with Too Much Information and Girls on Film, which worked out great.

They only played 5 songs from Paper Gods, the rest of the set was pretty much hit after hit after hit. It exceeded my expectations.

I really like most of the new album, and the songs were really good live.

Going to see them and Nile Rodgers again in September. It's the same show, but it was so fun, I had to buy a ticket.

i'm just gonna say they're amazing live. and although i haven't seen them yet (my concert is in july), i know they have a knack for taking songs that sound kinda eh in the studio and transforming them into something kick ass live.

(probably still won't like what are the chances though, they don't need any freaking more ballads)

I saw them in Brooklyn last month and enjoyed it a lot, even if Simon is supposedly a bit under the weather. Going to see them at least two more times in July, one of which will be in the first row, so that should be a good time!

Whenever you get the chance to see them, go. The only songs from the new album that sounded great live were Paper Gods, Pressure Off and What Are the Chances. I've never been a big fan of Last Night in the City and I've never liked Danceophobia, but the latter was a medley with Too Much Information and Girls on Film, which worked out great.

I enjoyed the new songs too for the most part and was also particularly big on seeing Too Much Information for the first time (in an dancey, upbeat version anyway). Also saw a proper version of I Don't Want Your Love and White Lines for the first time too, which was great.

They only played 5 songs from Paper Gods, the rest of the set was pretty much hit after hit after hit. It exceeded my expectations.

Probably the same thing for most other bands, of course, but if you ever visit a DD discussion board, you'll see that they have the same discussions we have on the U2 ones... "too many hits", "not enough new songs", "why don't they revolve songs from night to night or play (rarity) more," etc. Then you have a situation like The Reflex where it's been dropped from most shows this tour and you see some people say it's a good thing that it's getting a break, while people chant for it at shows or people right in FB comments sections "Why didn't you play The Reflex?!" Still strikes me as pretty funny. :lol:

Last edited:
Well we know what happens when a band drops an album later in the year after dropping a single titled "Invisible", get ready for lots of internet backlash DD. :wink:

Well we know what happens when a band drops an album later in the year after dropping a single titled "Invisible", get ready for lots of internet backlash DD. :wink:

And they have a guest appearance from Lykke Li on top of it.

Yeah, it was hard not to think of SOI in light of these things. :lol:

Looking forward to what they come up with here though! Invisible seems to be liked, or a slow grower, among the main fanbase... and the reaction I've seen outside of has been rather positive.

Back
Top Bottom