Don't Fear Fun, it's Father John Misty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Main Set:
I Love You, Honeybear

Encore 1:
Strange Encounter
True Affection
Only Son of the Ladies Man
When You're Smiling and Astride Me
The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment
Writing a Novel
Misty's Nightmares
Chateau Lobby
Nancy from Now On
Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow
This Is Sally Hatchet
The Ideal Husband
Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
Fun Times in Babylon
Now I'm Learning to Love the War
Holy Shit

Encore 2:
Bored in the U.S.A.
I'm Your Man
Every Man Needs a Companion

So the main set was one song. They came out, played the title track, and then thanked us and walked off as an April Fool's Day prank. It was a legitimate encore break, the house lights went up and they played a song over the PA and everything. He later said, "If I had it my way we'd have been off for like 25 minutes."

The show was awesome. He wore a ridiculous hat for the first half that was some combination of a witch's hat and a pilgrim's hat. The band is great and he's completely game for every song. It took some warming up but the crowd was really into it by the end.

He was surprisingly lacking in the crowd banter for a while, but after Babylon he paused the show for a "Q&A session" that was funny. When they came back out for the "second" encore he said, "My promoter is back there telling me I can't go out here, my contract's up. But I said, 'No, I've got to do it.' So I invented ... the encore. Hell, it says it right here on the setlist. And right there, there's a few of my big hits, which strangely we haven't played." He also introduced the Cohen cover by saying, "Who is a fan of Leonard Cohen? (applause) Not anymore!"

The crowd participation in Bored in the USA was awesome and unexpected. The laugh track isn't in the live show, but everyone did it for him. I think it was aided by him fucking up the first Jesus line, by getting caught between President and white and yelling "fuck."

Father John Misty albums, ranked:

Fear Fun
1. Writing a Novel
2. Now I'm Learning to Love the War
3. Only Son of the Ladiesman
4. Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
5. Every Man Needs a Companion
6. Nancy from Now On
7. Fun Times in Babylon
8. This Is Sally Hatchet
9. Well, You Can Do It Without Me
10. Misty's Nightmares 1 & 2
11. Tee-Pee's 1-12
12. O I Long to Feel Your Arms Around Me

I Love You Honeybear
1. The Ideal Husband
2. Strange Encounter
3. Holy Shit
4. I Went to the Store One Day
5. Chateau Lobby
6. Thirsty Crow
7. I Love You Honeybear
8. Bored in the USA
9. The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment
10. True Affection
11. When You're Smiling and Astride Me

I don't know why I did this but here you go.

Wow I disagree with you so much. You've got two of my three favourite songs on the new album ranked 10 and 11 (what don't you like about them??) and This is Sally Hatchet is my favourite song of his.

The Ideal Husband fucking rules though.

I should say that I like all the songs on the new album, so I'm not trying to hate on them. That said, I like the idea of True Affection, and it'd be a fascinating direction for him to go, but the song doesn't go anywhere. There's a first verse, a sort-of-chorus, and then ... it meanders for a while, repeats the first verse and ends. And with Astride Me, it just feels like he sort of punted where the chorus should be.

I have the same problem with this album that I had with the first one, some songs are just such a fucking slog to get through. There are some really great moments and then there are songs with this slow, lush, serious instrumentation and overwrought lyrics and his vocals aren't enough to make them enjoyable. Bored in the USA is a perfect example. It feels like it lasts about 10 minutes.

That said really hope he tours here again soon. Seen him two or three times and he's fucking amazing.

I would have True Affection and Strange Encounter right at the top. Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings is easily the highlight of Fear Fun for me.

I tend to agree with Cobbler on Tillman's music. I love his lyrics, but sometimes his music is so overwrought I feel like I should be saluting as I listen. He should ghostwrite the next Fleet Foxes album for Robin so we can be spared more lyrics about trees, beards and forest nymphs or whatever.

Last edited:
I remember being really drunk and going on long rants here about how much I hated the Fleet Foxes second album even though I never actually listened to it. What year was that? I should stop drinking.

The FF debut is one of the best albums of the 2000s, IMO: beautifully constructed and unique sounding despite belonging to a subgenre that was pretty heavily populated at the time. I haven't been able to get into Helplessness Blues all that much, though, despite repeated efforts.

What a great, great voice he has.

I loved going back and listening to his J. Tillman stuff. Some of it is so good and so haunting.

This is obviously a very subjective and possibly non-sensical opinion but I hope his FJM personae does not subsume his actual musical gifts. I am not even sure that makes sense but I know that I mean.

This is obviously a very subjective and possibly non-sensical opinion but I hope his FJM personae does not subsume his actual musical gifts. I am not even sure that makes sense but I know that I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. But if anything Honeybear is a record much less dependent on the persona than Fear Fun.

He also has a cover of Heart-Shaped Box out there that is really good.

I think yup is probably right in that the character is a bit less intense now than it was a few years ago. Still firmly his thing, though, as evidenced by the fact he completely ignores any of his music prior to Fear Fun.

I certainly hope he keeps it live though. That's a major part of the reason why his shows are so great.

Saw him last night. Third or fourth time I have seen him live. Great show, although in a bigger venue a lot of the intimacy which made the first few times I saw him so special was lost.

He races through the first fifth of the show. The title track reaches a nice crescendo but True Affection loses a fair bit live which is a shame. I love that song but it seems more of a studio cut. Smiling and Astride Me still rules, god I love the guitar in that. He finally broke the fourth wall around the time of Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt... which is good. There are quite a few songs from the new album that are a slog on record but come across better live because you realise how funny the lyrics are, and that song is a prime example. Bored in the USA is another, I can't get through that song on record but it was a highlight live, just for how meta the whole thing was. He did some great banter beforehand ("how many of you, and be honest, just jumped on the bandwagon now that I've been nominated for a best packaging grammy?") and the performance of the song was collaborative with the crowd - as it gets to that part with the canned laughter the crowd catches on, cheers and claps between lines, laughs and FJM is having a great time prompting the audience, it was awesome. Still don't like the song much but the perfromance was a lot of fun. That and the next half hour or so was the best part. Plenty of fantastic banter (a full-on Q&A with the audience, musings on packaging, Melbourne and so on) and then he played pretty much all my favourites (This is Sally Hatchet, Hollywood Forever, god those drums rule). I was never big on Fun Times in Babylon but it was really nice tonight, the "look out Hollywood here I come" line and the melancholic slide guitar/synth was a really nice touch, and then the main set closer was Holy Shit (with a freakout ending) leading into Ideal Husband, which is the song I was most looking forward to hearing, and fuck did it deliver. It was an absolutely immense eight or nine minutes. So fucking loud and rocking, I loved it so so so much. More banter after the encore break, then closed with I Went to the Store, which is pretty lovely and finally Every Man Needs a Companion.

So overall the spectacle was not as good/fun because of the bigger venue and crowd (and OF COURSE I had to be stationed next to the six biggest shitheads in the room who apparently did not realise they were not at a festival and drunkenly talking dancing and smashing tin cans on the ground all the way through) and so the banter suffered a bit too as it wasn't as close (and also last time I saw him he was a combination of jetlagged, drunk and high, had a third eye stuck on, was in a ridiculous clothing and there was a bandmember he had a lot of sexual innuendo with and I'm not sure if he's still part of the band or what) BUT ALL THAT SAID it was still a great show and worth the price of admission alone for The Ideal Husband.

He also did a bit on Taylor Swift as she was playing across town, "imagine being over there and on acid right now", and said his favourite Neil Young album was American Stars and Bars "to be contrarian and elitist".

The crowd participation in Bored in the USA was awesome and unexpected. The laugh track isn't in the live show, but everyone did it for him. I think it was aided by him fucking up the first Jesus line, by getting caught between President and white and yelling "fuck."

Ha, he did the same thing last night.

It's the hardest/fastest song on the album and it's missing the more sophisticated instrumentation and production touches that are on the rest of the songs. Much like Bodysnatchers on In Rainbows.

:shrug:

It provides an album that gets quite staid at times a much-needed jolt of energy and it fits very well thematically.

And I won't hear a bad word about Bodysnatchers.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom