Dismemberment Plan & spinoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Umm, what is this This Christmas you speak of?!?!

Change: Sentimental Man/Face of the Earth/Superpowers/Time Bomb/Ellen and Ben

FTMFW.

I hope I'm right in thinking everyone can receive PM's now. If you didn't get it, let me know, Laz.

Pitchfork: Travis Morrison Retires From Music

Travis Morrison-- former Dismemberment Plan frontman and sometime solo artist-- is apparently no longer making music. So says the front page of his website, which reads: "RETIRED! No shows, no records, no band. Just relaxing in Brooklyn. Befriend me on facebook. I'm so nice!"

Whether this is a Ryan Adams-style retirement, a ploy to up his friend count, or something more permanent, is not yet clear.

:down:

They're doing another brief "reunion tour" for a re-release of Emergency and I. Their comments make it seem as if more could come from it if they like being back together.

On January 11, Barsuk will reissue the band's 1999 masterpiece Emergency & I as a double LP, complete with an oral history of the record by The Onion's Josh Modell. But the band seems to be leaving the door open for more awesomeness. Bassist Eric Axelson tells the Post, "We're not planning a new record. But we're doing these shows and taking it day to day after that."

The Dismemberment Plan:

01-21 Washington, DC - Black Cat
01-22 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
01-27 Philadelphia, PA - Starlight Ballroom
01-28 Boston, MA - Paradise
01-29 New York, NY - Webster Hall

Pitchfork: The Dismemberment Plan Reunite

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease make another album, guys.

Pitchfork: The Dismemberment Plan to Reunite on "Fallon"

Somehow, the bookers at "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" have managed to secure an appearance from an impressive array of big indie bands that have reunited recently. And early next year, they'll get another one. Skittery D.C. post-punk legends the Dismemberment Plan, triumphantly getting back together for a few shows and an Emergency & I reissue in January, will play the show on Thursday, January 20. That's the night before the first of the band's reunion shows, which means that Fallon, ?uestlove, and the studio audience will get to see the reunited D-Plan before anyone else does. What will they play? "The Ice of Boston"? "The City"? "Time Bomb"? Too many possibilities!

The band has also added exactly one more show to their reunion tour; they hit Seattle's Showbox SoDo on March 12. According to the band's website, that's the last of the U.S. reunion shows. All dates below.

The Dismemberment Plan:

01-21 Washington, DC - The Black Cat
01-22 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
01-23 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
01-27 Philadelphia, PA - The Starlight Ballroom
01-28 Boston, MA - Paradise
01-29 New York, NY - Webster Hall
01-30 New York, NY - Webster Hall
02-19 Chicago, IL - Metro
02-20 Chicago, IL - Metro
03-12 Seattle, WA - Showbox SoDo

Sigh.

Why can't Jimmy Fallon just go away? His musical booking staff may have good taste, but that still doesn't make him (a) funny or (b) not a tool.

Also, I'll just mention again that The Root$ are fucking whores.

Sigh.

Why can't Jimmy Fallon just go away? His musical booking staff may have good taste, but that still doesn't make him (a) funny or (b) not a tool.

Also, I'll just mention again that The Root$ are fucking whores.

i support all comments made in this post.

When I was ten
I had this book of modern fighter planes
with F15s and MiGs
That and a bowl of Breyer’s Mint Chip was life at its apex
The chewing of pens
The Ocean City girls on the boardwalk singing oh oh oh yeah

I have no idea why I'm bumping this to post those lyrics since I'm listening to E&I right now, not Change, but it hardly matters since they have one major thing in common: they're both better than 95% of all other albums. I get very sad when either of them end.

Pretty sure I recall Laz posting this review in Random, but not everyone reads that thread, and it's worthwhile analysis for newbies:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: The Dismemberment Plan: Emergency & I [Vinyl Reissue]

I want to procure the vinyl just for the iconic cover art, but, to be honest, I think the album better suited to the cold, digitized sound of CDs. A Change vinyl would be fucking awesome.

I have no idea why I'm bumping this to post those lyrics since I'm listening to E&I right now, not Change, but it hardly matters since they have one major thing in common: they're both better than 95% of all other albums. I get very sad when either of them end.

:up:

They're playing on Fallon tomorrow.

Fallon is a waste of skin, but I can't miss that. In the parlance of our Laz, it's worth it in this case to work through the shit to reach the diamonds.

Watched them last night and they were great. I know I've heard an album of theirs before, but I wasn't totally into it the first time. Ready to give it another go, how can you not like something with a lead singer just so fucking excited to be there. He completely won me over.

As for Fallon, dear God his show is shitty. Did anyone see the stupid "name that tune" game they were playing before hand?

Joe Easley makes life so much better.

As does having Dismemberment Plan back. That fucking rocked. :up:

Pretty awesome. Although I can only imagine how that crowd would have reacted to Back & Forth. May have taken the roof off the place.

Also, TravMo + Beardo = Weirdo. Especially when Axelson shaved his.

Face of the Earth is my favorite Dismemberment Plan song now, I think. They made a rollercoaster ride of emotions out of a kiss wasn't even out of the ordinary. Great concept, the idea that one person can mean something very profound you once they pass, even if they didn't appear to make that strong of an impact at first. It's about the death of one of Michael Jordan's girlfriends, apparently.

I'm a time bomb, guys.

By the way, I love the transition from Sentimental Man to Face of the Earth.

I could write 10,000 words on that shit. More than any other band, I've spent more time on songmeanings with Dismemberment Plan songs, trying to decipher their wonderful narratives. If Peef quotes the NASH! and friggin Cobbler quotes the KAST!, then I call dibs on the PLAN!

dismem.jpg

:hyper:

http://pitchfork.com/news/42610-the-dismemberment-plan-announce-live-album/

90s/early-00s D.C. post-punkers the Dismemberment Plan were one of the great live bands of their era, but they somehow never got around to releasing a live album. Earlier this year, the band reunited for a tour, celebrating the reissue of their landmark 1999 album Emergency & I. And now, the D-Plan will finally correct that whole no-live-album oversight. On June 1, the Japanese label Bad News Records will internationally release Live in Japan 2011, a 23-song document of the D-Plan's February 9 show at Tokyo's Shibuya O-nest.

Below, we've got the album's tracklist, as well as a video of the band playing "The City" live during that same run of Japanese shows.

The Dismemberment Plan only have two shows left on their touring schedule. They'll play at the Roots Picnic in Philly on June 4 and on July 16, they'll appear at our very own Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago.

Tracklist:

Live in Japan 2011:

01 Spider in the Snow
02 A Life of Possibilities
03 The Face of the Earth
04 Sentimental Man
05 You Are Invited
06 Bra
07 What Do You Want Me to Say
08 Pay for the Piano
09 Memory Machine
10 Time Bomb
11 If I Don't Write
12 Following Through
13 The Dismemberment Plan Gets Rich
14 Do the Standing Still
15 Girl O'Clock
16 The City
17 I Love a Magician
18 OK Joke's Over
19 Ellen and Ben
20 Gyroscope
21 The Ice of Boston
22 That's When the Party Started
23 Back and Forth

I'm not sure if it's actually getting a CD release internationally, or just iTunes. Can't find it on Amazon, and was too lazy to read the entire article in Japanese. What little I read specified it would be on iTunes in Japan this week, so maybe iTunes US next week.

Shi-BOO-ya!!

There's really nothing missing from that setlist IMO.

Though it's odd they played Face of the Earth right before Sentimental Man instead of the other way around.

Emergency & I and Change are my favs. They have some solid songs on the other albums, but they're not nearly as well done or consistent.

Back
Top Bottom