Dig, Lazarus Dig!! - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is something I love about Nick Cave albums, because everyone seems to be drawn to different tracks.

Did anyone else here post a review on iTunes? I post under Achtung Fly, and I just found it odd that the other reviewer shared a U2-esque name, MacPhisto something or other.

Having now heard everything from Muder Ballads on, I have to say the only Nick Cave album I've been disappointed by is Nocturama.

Lancemc said:
More News From Nowhere FTMFW.

Indeed. For me, it's the most satisfying closer the band has placed on an album, or at least tied with "Darker With the Day" (my fave Nick Cave song). I do love "Babe, I'm On Fire," though. I just wish I knew more of Nick's history so I could really take in the references, the most I get right now is "Miss Polly."

UnforgettableLemon said:
Having now heard everything from Muder Ballads on, I have to say the only Nick Cave album I've been disappointed by is Nocturama.

Yeah, same here. Apart from Babe, I'm on Fire that album is pretty uninspiring and had me worried at the time.

Murder Ballads has some of the funniest songs ever, if you're partial to that brand of gallows humour, :wink:

This thread has got me listening to Murder Ballads again.

This album is almost unbelievably beautiful and frightening. Frighteningly beautiful if you will...

Saracene said:

Yeah, same here. Apart from Babe, I'm on Fire that album is pretty uninspiring and had me worried at the time.

I agree, but I do like a few of the singles, generic as they may be. I have conflicted feelings here. "Bring it On" is generic-ish alt-rock, but it's Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds doing generic-ish alt-rock so it's actually not half bad - just not up to their standards. I don't hate "He Wants You" or "Rock of Gibraltar," either, but there's really nothing special about them. That album is just unfortunately stuck in the middle of an otherwise phenomenal string of albums.

Re: Nick Cave Anthology

UnforgettableLemon said:

Disc One: Weeping Songs
The Mercy Seat
Release the Bats [The Birthday Party]
Deanna
In the Ghetto
Stranger Than Kindness
Straight To You
The Train Song
Happy Birthday [The Birthday Party]
Tupelo
Big - Jesus - Trash - Can [The Birthday Party]
The Six Strings That Drew Blood
From Her To Eternity
The Weeping Song
City Of Refuge (acoustic)
The Ship Song
Nick the Stripper [The Birthday Party]
(I'll Love You) Till The End Of The World
The Carny

Disc Two: People Ain't No Good
Red Right Hand
Opium Tea
Henry Lee
(Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For?
Jack The Ripper (acoustic)
Mack The Knife [solo]
Nobody's Baby Now
Stagger Lee
What A Wonderful World (with Shane MacGowan)
There Is A Light [solo]
Do You Love Me?
I Had a Dream, Joe
People Ain't No Good
Where The Wild Roses Grow (w/ Kylie Minogue)
Loverman
Rainy Night In Soho
Let it Be
Into My Arms

Disc Three: Get Ready for Love
As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
Nature Boy
Bring It On
Hallelujah
Rock Of Gibraltar
Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow
There She Goes, My Beautiful World
He Wants You
Love Letter
Get Ready For Love
Cindy [Johnny Cash featuring Nick Cave]
Let The Bells Ring
Darker With The Day
Babe, I'm On Fire

Disc Four: More News From Nowhere
No Pussy Blues [Grinderman]
Today's Lesson
The Lyre Of Orpheus
Fire Down Below [solo]
Suzanne (live)
Get It On [Grinderman]
Breathless
More News From Nowhere
I Don't Need You (To Set Me Free) [Grinderman]
Babe, You Turn Me On
We Call Upon The Author
Easy Money
Pinery Boy [solo]
Honey Bee (Let's Fly To Mars) [Grinderman]
The Rider Song [Nick Cave and Warren Ellis]
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
God Is In the House (live)

:love: Brilliant!

and just because this is one of my most fave photo's, here's one that I took at the Grinderman concert I went to last October :D

PA150326.jpg

I just got the Abattoir Blues Tour live album, downloaded from itunes since I'd never get around to watching the DVDs. As such, I have now been exposed to the live final verse of "Stagger Lee."

The man kills the Devil. Four holes in the motherfucker's head. The badassery here is beyond compare. I may end up making further revisions as I have not yet burned these discs.

And on the topic of Dig, Lazarus, Dig!! How perfect is Night of the Lotus Eaters? I love that the music really doesn't change - the anxiety is just consistent and doesn't subside EVER.

Well those were the last words that the devil said
Cause Stag put four holes in his MOTHERFUCKING HEAD!!!

:macdevil:

I love the extended version; I don't think it would have worked on the album but live it makes the song even more badass, :drool: I just love how Nick rips into it with such bloodthirsty relish, he's a true storyteller.

I can't wait to see them live; it's always great when a band is touring an album you absolutely love and a damn fun album as well.

Saracene said:

I can't wait to see them live; it's always great when a band is touring an album you absolutely love and a damn fun album as well.

And I'm actually near a real city now with a chance of a show. As Janie might say (after waking up on the floor): we're gonna have a real cool time!

:spaztastic dancing:

I'm going to the concert in Vienna on May, 25.:hyper:

I saw them a couple of times before and once in a really intimate setting in our concert house, where they are usually playing classic concerts.

Can't wait for the show and for the new songs being played live.

Does anyone have the single versions of the tracks from No More Shall We Part, Nocturama, and Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus?

I've also been inspired to make a reduced set for my friends who've not heard Nick. I'm cheating on the first disc because the first Best of is about as close as you can get, though it lacks a few key tracks. That's kinda why I stuck the live Stagger Lee on this one.

It's a bit single-heavy, but so is the first. And those are accessible songs that I think make a good introduction. So yeah, anyway, here's my tracklisting.

The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Volume 2
1. Get Ready for Love
2. Breathless
3. As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
4. Bring it On
5. God is in the House (live from Abattoir Blues Tour)
6. We Call Upon the Author
7. Nature Boy
8. Rock of Gibraltar
9. Love Letter
10. The Lyre of Orpheus
11. Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!
12. There She Goes, My Beautiful World
13. Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow
14. Stagger Lee (live from Abattoir Blues Tour)
15. More News From Nowhere

after finally getting around to listening to this, all I can say is that Lazarus digs Dig, Lazarus, Dig! A lot.

(you knew that was coming)

it will probably take me another couple of years to figure out what Mr. Cave is exactly singing about on some of these songs
but cracking album though :up:

I have to say that for now this is my favourite Cave album
I can play it from start to finish without being bored for a second
the lyrics are mighty fine, the music is great, enough diversity
what more can we ask for!

stil not listened at it. they are coming to greece in june, i will watch them!! yupie!!

and i have to buy it! Abbatoir was great indeed!

I went to the Nick Cave concert here in Vienna on Sunday evening and it was LOUD! I?m still almost deaf now, I was standing on the side of the stage, it was crowded, the air was very bad (cough, cough), BUT it was a great show, much wilder than I expected, very dynamic. He was in good mood, very ironic, joking with the audience, who constantly shouted song names, but he refused to play most of those. There were only a few slow songs and a lot from his current album. I was a little disappointed that he didn't play anything from No More Shall We Part, which is my favourite album. Overall, it was a really great show.

Just saw Nick Cave headline a show at the Hollywood Bowl with Spiritualized and Cat Power. All bands were great but I was really blown away by Cave, as I'm only familiar with his new album. So amazing. Guy totally left it all on stage, 110% performer.

Any suggestions as to what I should check out next? He's obviously got a long discography.

Back
Top Bottom