dEUS tHREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nielsgov

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Well, I finally decided to make a thread about one of my favorite bands (thank you cobbler).

dEUS is a Belgian band that made three classics (imo) in the 90's. They underwent some serious line-up changes so their sound changed as well, especially after those first three albums. There latest four records are all good but a bit less exciting and adventurous.

I'll start with a few older tracks because that's definitely the best starting point.

Their most well-known song (off of their first album).
dEUS - Suds & Soda (from Worst Case Scenario) - YouTube

My favorite song.
dEUS - Instant Street (Alternative Videoclip) - YouTube

This last one is from the most recent album.
dEUS - Quatre Mains (from Following Sea) - YouTube

I'll stop now.

That first tune was pretty good aside from that dude who kept screaming what sounded like "FRIDAY". Second one's great too, I'm getting a Wilco vibe from it, reckon he sounds a bit similar to Jeff Tweedy.

Which album to start with? I'll put 'em on the list :)

Glad you enjoyed.

Picking an album to start with is difficult. The first three are all really good. Worst Case Scenario and In A Bar, Under the Sea are in the vein of that first song. They're unpolished but full of great, surprising songs. The second song is off of The Ideal Crash which is more polished but also more cohesive. The screaming dude left the band before that album.

I'd start with Worst Case Scenario and then The Ideal Crash. If you don't like either of those then dEUS is nothing for you.

Glad you enjoyed.

Picking an album to start with is difficult. The first three are all really good. Worst Case Scenario and In A Bar, Under the Sea are in the vein of that first song. They're unpolished but full of great, surprising songs. The second song is off of The Ideal Crash which is more polished but also more cohesive. The screaming dude left the band before that album.

I'd start with Worst Case Scenario and then The Ideal Crash. If you don't like either of those then dEUS is nothing for you.

Sweet, I'll start with Vantage Point then

I heard In a Bar, Under the Sea a few months back and really liked it. Probably onto The Ideal Crash next.

Lol. Don't. It's their worst.

Is it? I quite enjoy that record. But I've never really ordered the dEUS albums from best to worst. They're all at least quite good. My favourites are Worst Case Scenario and In A Bar Under The Sea.

I followed them quite closely from 1994-1996 (have the original version of Worst Case Scenario before it was re-released on a major label with a slightly different tracklisting, plus the singles from WCS and IABUTS) but then kinda lost interest in them. Until 2006 that is with the release of Vantage Point and when I finally saw them live for the first time. Now I'm on the dEUS train again, though I still need to buy their latest one (Following Sea).

And here are videos of some of my favourite dEUS tracks (apart from Suds & Soda, which Niels already posted).
Hotellounge (Be The Death Of Me), another highlight from their first album
dEUS - Hotellounge (be the death of me) (from Worst Case Scenario) - YouTube

The first dozen times I heard this one I was :huh: WTF??? :huh: but then it got to me and now it's one of my favourites.
dEUS - Theme From Turnpike (from In A Bar, Under The Sea) - YouTube

I do enjoy Vantage Point as well but I can imagine people being put off by it when that's the first one they hear. Indeed I like all their albums.

You should get Following Sea. I think it's their best post-2000's album. It sounds less forced than Keep You Close. In a way it reminds me of older dEUS.

@LeMel. In a Bar, Under the Sea is my favorite. The Ideal Crash is probably n° 2.

Like.

Suds & Soda is a good song but to me, it's a bit underwhelming as the ultimate dEUS song. They have at least 20 songs that are better.

Also a question for you LeMel. Is early dEUS (In a Bar Under the Sea) really comparable to Zappa or Captain Beefheart? Because they're often mentioned as an influence.

Via sealed it. My favorite song yet. This band is awesome.

They're a bit like Zappa, yes, but more in the outlook and recording process than anything you can say "ah! what a pack of ripoffs this dEUS band is!" to. dEUS has a very experimental sound, but it's loose and organic, like Zappa was with the Mothers of Invention. There are always songs paired with the fucking about.

Beefheart is something else entirely. Shiny Beast is his most Zappa-esque record, and that's a good starting point if you're interested, but even that is funnier and more fragmented than any dEUS album I've heard.

I like Suds and Soda quite a bit. Whatever else I've heard hasn't clicked with me at this time.

Weird. That song definitely represents their early sound (Worst Case Scenario).

In a Bar, Under the Sea is a fucking weird album and a second listen didn't make it feel any less alien. Still great though.

My Sister = My Clock sounds potentially brilliant or potentially atrocious, I might listen to that one to say I've heard everything up through The Ideal Crash.

I don't think I can get tired of In A Bar, Under The Sea. It surprises me every time.

I haven't even heard My Sister = My Clock. But I've decided I'm going to do that now. I'll report back later.

My Sister = My Clock is this weird 25-minute collage of ideas. I got it when it was first released (in some special slipcase packaging). It has its moments, but sometimes I also think was a case of, "let's see if we can fill up some time by just noodling around". But the better moments certainly deserved to be worked out more into proper songs.

Bump.

I saw them live only for the second time (and the first time was at a festival) two days ago. It was a farewell show for their guitarist who's leaving the band. I think he's the 8th bandmember that's left. :lol: It was fantastic. They haven't released anything new in five years so it was basically a greatest hits show. But that didn't bother me as all their hits are great. They ended with this beautiful and fitting song.

Yes, it was indeed a great show (though it's getting a bit repetitive without any new material). I'm still not sure the band will continue. So who knows, last Friday might've been the final dEUS show ever.
The beginning dragged a bit, IMO, especially with the video interlude. But after that break, when they continued with Instant Street, it was excellent.

Agreed, the video wasn't necessary.

The highlight was Hotellounge for me. It's just a beautiful song and it was a great rendition.

Back
Top Bottom