Destroyer - Kaputt (AKA NSW: NEVAR Forget)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kaputt
Rubies
Have We Met
Poison Season
ken

Haven't heard the others yet.

Fuck, this fucking guy is just fucking incredible. Does he ever fucking disappoint? He could have retired on Have We Met and I would have been ecstatic. Now, just two years later, he's got a new album, LABYRINTHITIS.

And the first track, "Tintoretto it's For You", is fucking awesome. It's completely different to anything on Have We Met, and in fact it's different to anything he's ever released. It goes hard! There's some dark Berlin trilogy tortured horns, there's the classic Destroyer ba da da da dums, classic Destroyer esoteric lyrics - "I went out west / out past the insane desert / out past the useless farm / and the parking lot where the palm trees stoop to kiss the bishop's ring" - and some lovely dark, jazzy piano too. Funny and quite literal video:

I'm desperate to get the peak vinyl and the t-shirt but even just the vinyl would cost me $77 Australian dollars, so I'll wait and hope that some outlets here might have it.

MRG789_destroyer_LABYRINTHITIS_900.jpg

1. It's in Your Heart Now (5:56)
2. Suffer (3:30)
3. June (5:33)
4. All My Pretty Dresses (4:40)
5. Tintoretto, It's for You (3:06)
6. Labrynthitis (3:19)
7. Eat the Wine, Drink the Bread (3:37)
8. It Takes a Thief (2:41)
9. The States (5:56)
10. The Last Song (2:34)

:love::love::love:

Really looking forward to this new album. All three singles have been great

It's his best and most cohesive album since Kaputt but the highs are lower than the last album.

It's the 30th of August, five months since this album came out. I've been so depressed and low this year that I never went and picked up the vinyl from the shop. I've been dragging myself forward in recent weeks so I went to get it last week, and finally sat down with it and the lyric sheet tonight. First time I've done that in a long while.

It's fantastic, is my reflection on first listen. More dense than Have We Met, but potentially as good. No, nothing quite stands out yet, but I think it's more wormy and that's fine, adds more to his discography. Keen to hear people's thoughts on the record if you've listened to it in the months since.

The state I'm in, and where I'm at with my relationship, All My Pretty Dresses sent me, but it's Labyrinthitis that's really hitting the spot. I've had it on repeat for like an hour. Absolutely everything I love about that sound rolled into one - slow, reflective, contemplative, yearning, heartfelt, gutpunching, esoteric, majestic, and a million other adjectives.

Back
Top Bottom