Desert Island XI - Results, Aftermath and Playlist Exchange Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve been on the mend this week after having surgery, and took the opportunity to listen to a bunch of music that could make my list. Really looking forward to this. My mini playlist will be related to my DI from last year - no longer about a place but narrowing on a specific moment/style. I don’t expect it to be very popular but hopefully can introduce people to some music that is meaningful to me.

Reached out to Axver, he's interested. :up:

Listened to my list today and it HITS on a sunny afternoon. I'm really proud of it. 79 minutes and 26 tracks of old school psych pop bliss covering 3 languages and continents. The mini DI format forced me to trim off any fat, which is good because excess has always been the biggest problem with my lists. This one is substantive enough to offer the experience of a full list without feeling overly indulgent.

Yes, Travis has summoned me.

I'm in. Now to settle on a theme. I fear it might be something inane like a list of my favourite tracks of 2020. But maybe something else will leap out at me. I did make a Melbourne playlist inspired by the last DI's city-themed lists, but it is long. As in, too long even for normal DI.

We should do ghost lists, like you don’t know who authored it.

Well, maybe that kills discussion too much. Or maybe everyone submits an A-side and a B-side of which the latter is ghost authored.

I'm pretty impressed we've got 11 people interested since we're not quite as locked down as the last one. Wonder if DaveC would be up for it with the mini format. Or maybe someone can get in touch with the artist formerly known as PhilsFan.

Anyone feel like taking on the reins of getting it going? I'd volunteer, but I'm about 6 weeks away from us having our third kid, so it's not the best timing to volunteer to take the lead.

I think my list is well on its way - I've got a theme and a bunch of tracks selected. I've run into an issue though...there's one track I really want to use that isn't on Spotify but is on YT.

If I want to include the track, I could make the whole list on YT - but I really don't want to do that because whereas if you have premium Spotify you don't have to deal with ads, there will be a ton of ads on a YT playlist and it will destroy the flow and the mood.

So I was thinking, what if I just instructed everyone, listen to tracks 1-x on my Spotify list, pause it, listen to this YT link, then come back and listen to tracks y-end of my Spotify list? Would that work? Or would you all forget and end up not listening to the track in question?

Or should I just go old-school like Laz did the last go round and just find mp3/m4as of everything, zip it up, and upload? My above solution would be less work but I feel like it may not work out well.

Being totally honest with you Ruckman, I listen to these while doing something else, so I'm not likely to switch platforms for one song.

The discontinuity definitely is a challenge, but if it’s on YouTube why not just make a full YouTube playlist? I’m sure people wouldn’t mind that, though it might trigger an ad.

Being totally honest with you Ruckman, I listen to these while doing something else, so I'm not likely to switch platforms for one song.

Yeah, same here. Honestly the last DI was the most stress-free experience because you could just click play on Spotify and that was that. I sympathize with Spotify catalog issues - there are a number of songs I wish I could include but they are not available on Spotify in the US - but I think overall I think it still makes sense from a cost-benefit perspective.

Since I refuse to use Spotify, I used to have to deal with platform jumping a lot.

But the ONE good thing about YouTube music is that I can use any YouTube video in a playlist, so when I rebuild y'all's playlists on YouTube music, now, if a song isn't available natively, I just find the YouTube video and toss it in. Also, no ads. :up:

Here's a thought:

A playlist is like a baseball lineup: your best song should bat second.

Not applicable to the long DI formats, more in the context of a "mixtape", which is how I see the mini DI.

The DH is the lead single then
If you’re old school in the NL you give us some intricate crap that is still really fun to watch

Yeah, me too.

I'm probably going to ditch one of my playlist ideas in favour of another because there are a few important tracks not on Spotify. Oh well.

The DH is the lead single then
If you’re old school in the NL you give us some intricate crap that is still really fun to watch

You definitely do not want the pitcher batting.

It's modern baseball. The first song is obviously the opener - a perfectly suited 1-inning pitcher that gets things started, but which leave soon enough for a better pitcher.

Since I refuse to use Spotify, I used to have to deal with platform jumping a lot.

But the ONE good thing about YouTube music is that I can use any YouTube video in a playlist, so when I rebuild y'all's playlists on YouTube music, now, if a song isn't available natively, I just find the YouTube video and toss it in. Also, no ads. :up:

Doing this for every submitted playlist seems like...a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom