Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a feature on iTunes that's supposed to streamline the volume differences between tracks and IMO it never works.

My playlist definitely has some disparity but I'm not going to cut anything.

There's a feature on iTunes that's supposed to streamline the volume differences between tracks and IMO it never works.

My playlist definitely has some disparity but I'm not going to cut anything.

Yeah, it’s because if a song mastered to -8 LUFS is normalized to -14, the peaks will sit at -6, whereas if a song mastered to -14 LUFS is normalized to -14, the peaks will be right around 0 LUFS. So the peaks will be louder.

This is when normalization is on. When it’s off, the -8 will sound incredibly louder. Gotta love streaming.

There's a song I love dearly - "Unravel" by Bjork - that I want to include but just can't do it, first because the end is a cut fade and second because the mood of the song is so singular that it doesn't fit with anything else. Ugh Bjork is amazing.

I've had many dilemmas like that, it's painful having to drop something. There's a dancehall reggae track I once heard randomly on NPR that I've been wanting to put on a playlist for years, and I couldn't figure out how to fit it in. Well, not until I put other reggae-type songs around it. :shifty:

In other news, I just flipped the order of my first and third tracks and I think I need an intervention because I don't know what's right now.

I think I successfully used a song with large silent gaps at the beginning and end of the song, but that was one of my bigger challenges.

Without giving too much away, I’m attempting to do something a little bit maybe too ambitious. Trying to link together a story using music I’ve listened to through the course of that story, chronologically, while maintaining respectable transitions and also ensuring that each song lyrically contributes to the story.

That’s a hodgepodge but I think I made it work.

I think The Tourist did that once? If he remembers which playlist it was, maybe he could point you in the direction and you could take a lead from what he did.

If it was him, that is.

I think The Tourist did that once? If he remembers which playlist it was, maybe he could point you in the direction and you could take a lead from what he did.

If it was him, that is.

I think I did something like that during DI V maybe? It was a story about a murder as told through Desert Island. It did... very poorly as there was absolutely no light music.

Interesting. Oh I’m going full nonfiction here. I didn’t want to bore you all with my more traditional playlists, which mimic a setlist.

I’ll bore you with my life story instead [emoji48]

For real though, it’s was a bizarre and challenging way to do this. There’s only about 1-2 songs that are out of order from “when I was listening to them,” and just barely. I accept that it won’t be all that great, but I had fun working it out that way.

Interesting. Oh I’m going full nonfiction here. I didn’t want to bore you all with my more traditional playlists, which mimic a setlist.

I’ll bore you with my life story instead [emoji48]

For real though, it’s was a bizarre and challenging way to do this. There’s only about 1-2 songs that are out of order from “when I was listening to them,” and just barely. I accept that it won’t be all that great, but I had fun working it out that way.

I did it once, as well. The second disc of my DI-IV was all about my first year of college, where I was dealing with the death of my grandmother, being in love with my gay best friend and some other dramatic late teen things, I am too embarrassed to recall at the moment. I know I wrote a pretty long paragraph explaining how they all melded together.

That was before I had the ability to torrent anything. I believe I was using a computer from like 1999 that my dad still had from work, and I could only choose songs from the combined CD collection of my entire family. It's been a long road since then.

I'd say it looks like namkcuR has the longest intro story ever with that playlist, but there's the Essence of Woman or whatever, to be contended with.

:ohmy:

I thought I'd seen it all here on Interference, but apparently not.

Actually was really intrigued by Cori's submission. Very atypical track selection as well.

Definitely regret not getting involved in DI sooner.

i don't really have a cogent argument as to why, but i feel like using a genesis song, a phil collins song, and a peter gabriel song in a 13-track playlist should be against the rules.

I will always believe that late 2007/early 2008 was the peak for Interference. That period had the most interest in DI, the most active chat threads, the best mix of posters, and it gave us the all-time classic Atlanta, Germany thread.

I will always believe that late 2007/early 2008 was the peak for Interference. That period had the most interest in DI, the most active chat threads, the best mix of posters, and it gave us the all-time classic Atlanta, Germany thread.

It’s all been a slow slope downhill since the whalers were saved at Kunstmuseum.

Sorry but I'm going to have to go with 2009, which gave us Shuttlecock in the spring pre-NLOTH release and then The Beatoffs later in September around the 9/9/09 promotion, both of which dovetailed nicely with the long-running Lance's Mom legacy.

I don't think I've seen a more creative and depraved run of humor on here.

That post burns in all our memories. I hope he is doing well though, wherever he is. He probably felt a bit ostracised cos we roasted him so hard. Sorry, Screwtape, if you're lurking.

We bullied the shit out of him back in the day. His posts really did exhibit some troubling obsessive and narcissistic tendencies though and I hope he's alright wherever he is.

We bullied the shit out of him back in the day. His posts really did exhibit some troubling obsessive and narcissistic tendencies though and I hope he's alright wherever he is.

Hopefully nothing bad happened between him and that librarian or whatever that we was absolutely obsessing over in some alarming ways.

That's the problem I'm having. I went back to try to find the post for IYup this morning and ended up going down a rabbit hole of realizing we cyber-bullied the shit out of him, but also he exhibited really disturbing behaviors towards the women on this forum.

I feel a lot of guilt, but also confusion about how I should be feeling. But we really did openly mock him incessantly.

There are things in his Interference journal that are honestly really creepy to read. I worry about what happened to him, but he's one of the few people from that group that I don't know the real name of so I can't stalk check in on him.

Back
Top Bottom