Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I am hoping we can all upload to Spotify.

Really excited that Axver is taking part, definitely need some really boring, maudlin icy Danish metal post rock bullshit from artists with wanky names in my life.

Plan to bore the daylights out of you. Gonna be awesome.

I'm definitely in.

I used to make my own mix :love: tapes from radio, vinyl, and cassettes on a double cassette recorder.

I'm partially tech savvy, but I've only got ?4GB data left for about 2 weeks, so I won't try this.

I do look forward to what you all come up with. :) :applaud: :up:

I don't have an account, so I won't be able to unless someone will do it for me.

And it looks like I'll be hearing everyone else's lists with commercial interruptions. :sad:

Aren’t there any free trials? Plot it out, make the list, marathon all the playlists, cancel before the trial runs out.

I'll have to go ahead and pay for a month as well, since I'm a Google Play Stan, but that's fine.

:uo: Cool. Send me a Spotify or mp3 playlist of 60-160 minutes in length before the 20th and you're good to go. The email to send it to is posted in the OP.

Updated list of competitors:

1. LemonMelon
2. bono_212
3. gump
4. lazarus
5. cobl04
6. iron yuppie
7. Joey788
8. GirlsAloudFan
9. LJT
10. Jerry Dunk
11. the tourist
12. Axver
13. LuckyNumber7

Gonna try this again.

Wasn't there an old website that had our lists archived? I'm almost certain there was.

I have a genre-spanning playlist with a theme that I am happy with (though not sure others will be) and a set of songs that I really like, but it's so hard to sequence. Ugh.

It's a PAIN to try and find old DI lists on Interference, honestly. I have some hosting, I might just go ahead and recreate a site again. Just because it's such a pain in the ass.

Yes, I had an old separate page WAY back when that listed everything, but that's been long gone for a while now. But I did post everything on Interference in 2013, and here's your starting point to go through the history...

https://www.u2interference.com/foru...s-and-signup-thread-215673-5.html#post7672158

Sadly, I won't be able to participate this time. I work in contracts for my company and as you can imagine, there's been a lot of adjustments being made with our vendors due to COVID-19. I just don't think I'd be able to commit a quality list - and I have high standards... :wink:

EDIT: looks like after I started posting in that thread, people were experiencing site crashes due to the length of the posts, so eventually I put the links in one post. It's for DI 1-8, but at least DI9 and DI10 are easy to find.

https://www.u2interference.com/foru...s-and-signup-thread-215673-7.html#post7672250

Last edited:
I'm just tripping out over a new Interference thread bringing in over 50 replies in three days. 50 replies in three years is more what I'm used to. :lol:

How does it feel to return to making DI lists after a five year break? I'm a bit rusty because most of my playlists from the past few years are Spotify song dumps that I listen to on shuffle. I started developing the playlist I'm turning in back in 2017, but I had to throw out the whole midsection because it didn't really reflect where I'm at nowadays.

I feel great about it. Mostly because I think there was a lot of pretension in the older days around playlists and Desert Island, that doesn't exist now because we're all older, kinder, have lives. Back then it took a lot of courage for me to put my hand up to take part in my first one, because I didn't feel like I was 'allowed' to, because I didn't have this vast catalogue of music like everyone else did, and I wasn't experienced in making things "flow". I observed a lot of comments that bordered on being nasty about people's playlists when two songs didn't sound like they always meant to be next to each other, or it contained three or four songs that everyone already knew. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I always felt a little unwelcome in DI, until I started listening to more music and getting more comfortable with making playlists. So let's just all make sure we are kind and enjoy people putting in the effort to put together a playlist of music they love, without any snarkiness. :)

I feel great about it. Mostly because I think there was a lot of pretension in the older days around playlists and Desert Island, that doesn't exist now because we're all older, kinder, have lives. Back then it took a lot of courage for me to put my hand up to take part in my first one, because I didn't feel like I was 'allowed' to, because I didn't have this vast catalogue of music like everyone else did, and I wasn't experienced in making things "flow". I observed a lot of comments that bordered on being nasty about people's playlists when two songs didn't sound like they always meant to be next to each other, or it contained three or four songs that everyone already knew. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I always felt a little unwelcome in DI, until I started listening to more music and getting more comfortable with making playlists. So let's just all make sure we are kind and enjoy people putting in the effort to put together a playlist of music they love, without any snarkiness. :)

good post. i recall my playlist copping some shit that i felt was a little unwarranted last time i joined in so i've been a bit shy to participate this time, honestly. but fuck it, that was years ago and i have much better taste now. i'll join in if there's still room.

Last edited:
I was a total dick to some people in these threads like 10 years ago and I do regret that I contributed to negative image of the competition by having a very stringent criteria for what made a playlist good. I've shepherded the last few DI competitions and done what I can to make them more accessible and fun.

I will say that possessing a considerable knowledge of music does make things easier when you know you're missing a particular sound to fill out a section of your list or need to make a transition smoother. A potentially days-long process is just a few clicks away if you know what you're looking for. It doesn't make your list inherently more enjoyable for others though.

good post. i recall my playlist copping some shit that i felt was a little unwarranted last time i joined in so i've been a bit shy to participate this time, honestly. but fuck it, that was years ago and i have much better taste now. i'll join in if there's still room.
We would be happy to have you.

I think the cap on participation should be 15 so that we don't have TOO much to listen to. Currently, you are participant #14.

Back
Top Bottom