Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to Desert Island I decided to give Angel Olsen’s All Mirrors a listen today. I appreciated it quite a bit, but didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped (if that makes sense). Lots of slow, slow, slow makes it a bit of a difficult listen. I feel like this would benefit from listening out loud on vinyl as opposed to on headphones. I might return to it at some point in a different listening environment. But hey, Desert Island is pushing me to things I didn’t initially gravitate toward already. The whole thing is already a win in my book.

All Mirrors, the song, is one of my absolute favourites of 2019. I can barely remember another note from the album. But I just thought I was weird in that regard.

All Mirrors, the song, is one of my absolute favourites of 2019. I can barely remember another note from the album. But I just thought I was weird in that regard.

I would probably like it a whole lot more if it was shorter. I know nowadays the new thing is EPs and singles gaining traction as a primary mode of release, and while I don’t think this fits that scenario, 8-10 minutes less would have probably done a lot to make me appreciate it more.

Caleb, the singer from Moody Bear on my list, has been trying to convince me to just release what I’ve got done now as an EP and then when I finish the other half, to release that as an EP as well. But I just can’t bring myself to do it. The album is still it for me - even if it’s only 35 minutes. Maybe that means I’m old.

Thanks to Desert Island I decided to give Angel Olsen’s All Mirrors a listen today. I appreciated it quite a bit, but didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped (if that makes sense). Lots of slow, slow, slow makes it a bit of a difficult listen. I feel like this would benefit from listening out loud on vinyl as opposed to on headphones. I might return to it at some point in a different listening environment. But hey, Desert Island is pushing me to things I didn’t initially gravitate toward already. The whole thing is already a win in my book.
My Woman is a better, more well rounded record IMO. Plenty of upbeat songs to match the slow ones.

I think LM mentioned in this or the other thread (amazing that there are so many posts here these days that we lose track of stuff!) that it would be cool to share leftover tracks for the DI playlists for those who want to check some additional stuff out.

Well, I just finished putting together a Leftover DI playlist and now regret that I didn't use this as my main submission. I'll share the link when the thread for my group is up...

We could always do another one in the not-too-distant future. Might want to save the playlist.

My Woman is a better, more well rounded record IMO. Plenty of upbeat songs to match the slow ones.

Yes, I was going to say check out My Woman for sure. The direction she took on All Mirrors left me cold, found it boring and there's plenty of artists doing it. My Woman has more guitar and as LM says, a greater spread to keep it interesting.

Listen to this, you'll love it

Oh yeah, that was the one song of hers that I knew prior to this Desert Island. It was on various Daily Mixes that Spotify/Amazon music made for me a couple years back.

So thanks to Desert Island, I gave Womb by Purity Ring a... spin? ...digital listen?

Although Axver suggested a previous album, I almost always will go to the most recent album when looking into an active artist (unless it’s a dinosaur act). I thought it was super solid. I’ll probably revisit it once DI is over, and maybe go back and listen to the older stuff as well then.

Right now I’m listening to My Woman by Angel Olsen based on recommendations earlier in here. I can already tell this is a little more lively.

I woke up this mor...noon and wondered to myself how difficult it would be to just dig into these lists.

Answer: not very!!! Just need to come up with some visuals.

Once Ashley gets the Desert Island website up and we get some LN7 visual data on there, we're going to be looking legit.

If I got REALLY bored, I could recreate the lists on YouTube and we could have a functional database.

Here's a map showing where each of us selected our music from, and the global pool:

https://dixi-hosting.bitbucket.io/countryplot.html

I'm too lazy to fix the missing icon at the top right, but that's a layer controller, to filter by user etc.

Also, I take no responsibility for whether or not my wikipedia scraper / subsequent eyeball test actually got the right countries for those artists.

this is just the beginning.

Man, that is really, really cool man. Thank you!!

Proud to be the only participant for whom the majority of artists don't come from the US! :lol:

Cool stuff, LN7. Did you use the Spotify data to put this together?

Cool stuff, LN7. Did you use the Spotify data to put this together?

Yes and no! I have linked up with Spotify’s open API to extract everyone’s playlist data (which means I had to recreate Laz’s, where I took some liberties to replace the missing content with the artist’s similar content).

Unfortunately, the one piece of information that Spotify doesn’t seem to expose is artist location. So I learned Wikipedia’s API the same day as Spotify. When gathering the Spotify data, per song, I put in an automated wiki search that tries to search for a standard Wikipedia element (the infocard on the right), looks for the word “origin” or “born” or whatever, and extracts a country. It was maybe around 80% successful, and for the other 20% I had to do some research. But yeah, no guarantee that the location provided for the artist is where one would consider “where there music is from.” Just a web scraping approximation.

Anyways though, that was a the appetizer. Spotify has all sorts of pre-canned information about songs that they release to developer accounts on their API. Some point this week, we can actually put into numbers how everyone actually flows etc.

Here's a map showing where each of us selected our music from, and the global pool:

I'm too lazy to fix the missing icon at the top right, but that's a layer controller, to filter by user etc.

Also, I take no responsibility for whether or not my wikipedia scraper / subsequent eyeball test actually got the right countries for those artists.

This is fantastic. And I apologize for skewing the data by making a list that by concept was only American artists!

This is very cool. :up:

Man, that is really, really cool man. Thank you!!

Proud to be the only participant for whom the majority of artists don't come from the US! :lol:

Excuse me! 23 of my 36 are not American.

Here's my country list, although I mistakenly put Purity Ring against the US rather than Canada: https://www.u2interference.com/foru...1-listening-thread-222873-13.html#post8331578

LN7, you've got Repulsive Woman as UK (she's NZ), Infinite Void and Woodes as UK (they're both Australian), and Angel Olsen as Australian (she's American).

Well this is great. And now I feel bad for the fact I've only purchased a domain and got lazy after adding two lists to the site :lol:. It's an EXTREME work in progress, in that I have a vision that's far more complicated than what we need, but will not be satisfied until I've done it.

This is very cool. :up:

Excuse me! 23 of my 36 are not American.

Here's my country list, although I mistakenly put Purity Ring against the US rather than Canada: https://www.u2interference.com/foru...1-listening-thread-222873-13.html#post8331578

LN7, you've got Repulsive Woman as UK (she's NZ), Infinite Void and Woodes as UK (they're both Australian), and Angel Olsen as Australian (she's American).

I refrained from being all “Axver the data nightmare” but when I said 80-20 I definitely meant everyone-axver regarding whose artists returned values from Wikipedia correctly [emoji23][emoji23]

I knew I’d hear from you though! I actually intentionally exposed the list of artists per country per user not only because it was interesting, but also so that I could get the information more accurately. Doing it programmatically just saved me from having to fill 200+ entries and brought it down to maybe 40-50, but it comes at a cost of getting it 100%.

I can update them later and push to the website. And in general if you guys want to save this webpage, you can do so, because it is static (12 MB). Since I don’t own server space, I had to come up with a crafty way to host it.

Also LN7, if you're looking for corrections, Ibeyi is from Cuba and Fela Kuti is from Nigeria.

I think this is the first time I’ve ever felt like I’m not behind in my Desert Island listening. The Spotify links really have simplified things for me.

Back
Top Bottom