Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
100000%. I would much rather read a bunch of comments about my list and the music I chose and end up coming last than have bugger all commentary and win.

Hey cobbler - agreed. Will be here and as active as possible through the end.

Oh, no doubt I'm going to stick it out to the end to the best of my ability.

Remember that if you feel you're falling behind in your listening, you can request an extra day or two extension of the listening thread. We don't have to keep things to exactly 7 or 14 days, that's more of a range that I intend to keep to.

There was just nowhere for me to put U2 on this list. This has happened a lot lately. My playlist themes and U2 have just not matched up. I don't think I've had them on a list since DI 8.

I went back and forth between Life During Wartime and Psycho Killer on my list, glad I chose the latter seeing that DaveC went for the former.

Also, cheers to Ashley and PFan, my city-themed list brethren.
:hi5:
I have often remarked that there are so many fucking songs about NYC and California that if no artist ever wrote on either of them again, it would still be too soon.

And now look what Ashley and gump have done. :lol:

:lol:, if it helps at all, only like half the songs are actually ABOUT L.A.

I think half the list might actually secretly be from Miami Vice.

As soon as I read Ashley's title coupled with the earlier comment about being mainly 80's & 80's tunes, I figured Missing Persons would be on the list, but expected a different song. Also love the GLJ track, one of my faves from the 80's.

I couldn't bring myself to put that song on there, it was way too obvious. Same goes for Free Fallin' and about 20 other songs. But unlike those, "Walking In L.A." was actually on the playlist until just about the 11th hour.

I ONLY know that GLJ song because EVERY single time there is another 80s festival here (of which there are about five a year), GLJ is on the list and I inevitably think they're another band (whose name is once again escaping me), and look them up, listen to their five top songs and think, "I should listen to them more." And then don't. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I’ve got fuck all to do for the next few months so I’m in it to the end.

Also fitting my list is last given the whole concept is final resting pose. Hopefully it can be a bit of a palette cleanser for everyone.

I’ve got fuck all to do for the next few months so I’m in it to the end.

yeah same. i probably wouldn't be able to listen to everything in normal times but i can do it while i'm (barely :shh: ) working from home, and i'm committed to listening to everyone's submissions. i've been looking forward to doing this for a while and pumped to discover some new music.

Some thoughts now I've skimmed through all the entries (but not the essays):

• Gump, I am fucking furious that you not only didn't include LCD, but that you MENTIONED CBGB AND THEN DIDN'T INCLUDE LCD. Fuming.
  • LN7 - major brownie points for including "Return". I know a lot of people have given you shit over the years / you were worried we know most of the songs (an ailment that happened to all my early playlists as my tastes were largely formed by this forum) but you've got great taste.
  • ruckman, I can envisage When I Need a Friend being a great opener, and I'm glad someone's included Coldplay, specifically the new album, which is fantastic but has gone under the radar unfortunately.
  • GAF wins best cover art by a mile
  • Joey, System Only Dreams > Cruel wins the "most B&C" award. Also, you have great taste, we should be friends IRL.
  • Ashley, if I enjoy any portion of anyone's list more than the start of yours, I'll eat my hat. I know them all but you know damn well I'm gonna rock out anyways.

What an incredibly random song for Cobbs and I both to use. :lol:

Hahaha! Have we discussed it before?!

Also, I was sure I'd be the only person to use a John Frusciante solo track, but glad to see Cobbler digs him too.

:hi5:

Apologies to everyone about my old-fashioned interface. Me and El Mel tried to reconstruct my list in both YouTube Music and Spotify in order to stream it but both had tracks that couldn’t be found.

giphy.gif

It's actually really funny how similarly Ax's list and my list start out. Same dark electronic vibe crowded with powerhouse female singers. We only start diverging noticeably like 10 tracks in and even then we share a jangle pop section and managed to get Beach House in there around the same spot. [emoji38]

Definitely not an overlap one would have expected a decade ago.

Last edited:
Some thoughts now I've skimmed through all the entries (but not the essays):

[*]Gump, I am fucking furious that you not only didn't include LCD, but that you MENTIONED CBGB AND THEN DIDN'T INCLUDE LCD. Fuming.

I was expecting this! I did mention it in the intro, though. I love the song, but couldn't make it fit.

And this fucking lyric, man:

But they shuttered your stores

[*]Joey, System Only Dreams > Cruel wins the "most B&C" award. Also, you have great taste, we should be friends IRL.

Yeah, when I made that intro, I knew I was kicking off with probably two of the most familiar recent songs out there for this crew. But they're well-loved for good reasons and hopefully people will find some new favorites throughout the rest of my playlist! Thanks for the kind words! Fully agree that we should connect IRL.

Your playlist looks fantastic as well. Camp Cope and Stella Donnelly are great, and I've wanted to dive deeper into Gang of Youths and Jen Cloher. Plus, your run from Radiohead onward looks insane in the best way. Can't wait to listen to it!

Thought this was maybe more of a general comment so I put it here instead of the Group 1 thread.

I'm having such a good time listening to these so I'm probably gonna keep going through a new one each weekday until I run out. I guess what I'm saying is I'll write down my comments and won't post them until the Group 2/Group 3 threads are up.

It's fun!

Speaking of, when do you guys want to move on to group 2? Some participants, like LN7, just made their way over to the group 1 thread, so I'm not sure we're all ready to move on to group 2 as scheduled. Let me know what you guys think.

Sorry I just didn’t realize how it worked and didn’t see the link (and since I’m fully mobile on interference, I seldom check new threads unless I know they’re coming or I’m super bored).

I don’t want to hold everyone up, but I would also like to participate evenly regarding my effort and analysis for every playlist... so pls forgive me!

Speaking of, when do you guys want to move on to group 2? Some participants, like LN7, just made their way over to the group 1 thread, so I'm not sure we're all ready to move on to group 2 as scheduled. Let me know what you guys think.

Personally, I could use a couple more days to listen to the last two playlists of the first group. I'd likely be set to move on to Group 2 by Thursday/Friday.

I've gotta listen to Laz's still. Thurs/Fri good with me. And remember this thread stays up so if a few people are a touch behind in listening, that's okay.

For me, two weeks would be just about perfect. Otherwise I will fall behind. But whatever the consensus is, that’s cool. If I fall behind I fall behind. I’ve got JD and Laz to go still and probably won’t get to either of them until Wednesday, and likely the last one I won’t get to until Saturday. I have a recording session on Friday and some work meetings this week, so I can’t listen attentively those days.

Last edited:
I think, based on what I'm hearing, Friday afternoon would be best. I'd like you guys to have the new lists over the weekend if possible.

I can make Friday work. Really, I’m a marathon worker and king procrastinator, so getting it all done the same day or two is already my style.

With that being said, my absence was certainly more related to ignorance this time round.

Yeah I'm happy to move forward later this week. I still need to listen to laz's - just downloaded it.

only two U2 songs were used across all these playlists :lol:

Wanted to come back to this - I realised that not only did I not use U2, I didn't use any of the old artists I'm probably known for, like Porcupine Tree or anything Finn Brothers-related. It wasn't deliberate, and it's not a sign I don't like them any more. They just didn't come to mind as I compiled the list! Didn't even occur to me until Dave's comment.

Thought this was maybe more of a general comment so I put it here instead of the Group 1 thread.

I'm having such a good time listening to these so I'm probably gonna keep going through a new one each weekday until I run out. I guess what I'm saying is I'll write down my comments and won't post them until the Group 2/Group 3 threads are up.

It's fun!

Just wanted to echo GAF - this may be the most fun I've had so far listening to playlists in a DI. Not a single one I didn't enjoy a great deal.

We've racked up around 230 Desert Island related posts in the last week and just shy of 500 since the signup thread was started. If you had told me that would happen, I would have been tf thrilled.

I think LM mentioned in this or the other thread (amazing that there are so many posts here these days that we lose track of stuff!) that it would be cool to share leftover tracks for the DI playlists for those who want to check some additional stuff out.

Well, I just finished putting together a Leftover DI playlist and now regret that I didn't use this as my main submission. I'll share the link when the thread for my group is up...

Thanks to Desert Island I decided to give Angel Olsen’s All Mirrors a listen today. I appreciated it quite a bit, but didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped (if that makes sense). Lots of slow, slow, slow makes it a bit of a difficult listen. I feel like this would benefit from listening out loud on vinyl as opposed to on headphones. I might return to it at some point in a different listening environment. But hey, Desert Island is pushing me to things I didn’t initially gravitate toward already. The whole thing is already a win in my book.

Back
Top Bottom