Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, well, since I do not subscribe to any of the listening services because I actually buy the music I'm interested in listening to, supporting, and therefore putting into things like desert island, I will probably not be able to participate this time because I'm not at all interested in signing up for something like that, or knowing that other people will use that to listen to any list that I should submit.

So I guess I'm out.

Have fun guys.

Alright, well, since I do not subscribe to any of the listening services because I actually buy the music I'm interested in listening to, supporting, and therefore putting into things like desert island, I will probably not be able to participate this time because I'm not at all interested in signing up for something like that, or knowing that other people will use that to listen to any list that I should submit.

So I guess I'm out.

Have fun guys.

Well, with Grooveshark, you don't have to sign up for anything. I remember in the last DI, Ashley's list was on Grooveshark and all I had to do was click the link and then click play all.

Hey, IWasBored, do you have a verdict? Please let me know but I'll be cool either way. :)

Gonna stay in, looks like you can have tourist's spot?

Lol at getting uppity about how other people listen to your list. Fine if you don't want to, but it's not like they're illegally downloading stuff.

I might make the playlist on Spotify since I already have an account, are people okay with Spotify in general? I'm not actually sure how it is for those who aren't signed up for it.

Gonna stay in, looks like you can have tourist's spot?

Lol at getting uppity about how other people listen to your list. Fine if you don't want to, but it's not like they're illegally downloading stuff.

No, I am still interested in being a part of DI. I didn't mean to come across that way. Sorry.

FWIW, concerning streaming services, absolutely nothing has changed since DI9. Any new furor would be misplaced, unless there was some misreading of the rules initially...? I don't know. The last thing I want to do is argue about the relative economic merits of streaming services.

I might make the playlist on Spotify since I already have an account, are people okay with Spotify in general? I'm not actually sure how it is for those who aren't signed up for it.

it's going to be like (if not worse than) youtube with the adds, plus they'd have to download it and register, if i'm not mistaken. i'd imagine it would be pretty terrible if you're not a subscriber.

It just really makes me scratch my head when people want to make a desert island playlist but literally do not own/have not acquired physical or data copies of songs they want to use and therefore the only way they can submit said songs into a playlist of songs they'd be happy to take to a desert island is through a streaming service. I like to be able to wander around and listen to shit on my iPod and not be chained to a computer to listen.

Which is why this response:

That's a mighty high horse you're riding there mate.

...is really silly.

I just really dislike this semi-recent change to the point that I would actively cease to participate in the tournament because of it. Just glad I found out now before I uploaded anything or made copies of stuff, changed artwork, etc.

And what about all the music he'll be listening to illegally and free through the competition?

Muskets.jpg

Well, with Grooveshark, you don't have to sign up for anything. I remember in the last DI, Ashley's list was on Grooveshark and all I had to do was click the link and then click play all.

But good luck finding "We Make Light" by Pineapple Skulls on some streaming service....

It just really makes me scratch my head when people want to make a desert island playlist but literally do not own/have not acquired physical or data copies of songs they want to use and therefore the only way they can submit said songs into a playlist of songs they'd be happy to take to a desert island is through a streaming service. I like to be able to wander around and listen to shit on my iPod and not be chained to a computer to listen.

This is a fair point.

Grooveshark and Spotify premium give you the ability to offline songs, so you don't have to have an internet connection to listen to them. :wink:

it's going to be like (if not worse than) youtube with the adds, plus they'd have to download it and register, if i'm not mistaken. i'd imagine it would be pretty terrible if you're not a subscriber.

Righto, I think in that case I will go with the standard file sharing method (or Grooveshark) instead.

Tourist, are you arguing against streaming services from a practical or moral level, or both? I really can't tell. Part of your stance takes on a high horse "well I BUY music, motherfucker" tone, whereas you also seem to be voicing concern about 1. music selection and 2. portability.

If it's a moral thing, well, I guess that's your call. The same arguments have been voiced by artists in the past and I understand them. If it's an ease of use thing, just don't listen to those lists and the people who made them will take that into account next time. This is a democracy, dammit.

Either way, I don't mind you saying how you feel about this, at all. I want DI to reach a point of Internet Nirvana where there are no complaints and it's all about the music, man. And that can't happen without some adjustments. I'm just trying to discern what the core of your complaint is.

To be fair, it's legally more shady to share files we bought than to create a list in a streaming service. I own all of the songs in my playlist and would have preferred a streaming list, which would have prevented me from engaging in supposedly illegal behavior (either downloading or uploading). I shared the files, though, as it seems more practical for most.

I think most streaming services allow you to play music without subscribing. One can embed a spotify playlist in a website, for example.

You can embed a Spotify playlist in a website, but I've never been able to play them without being directed to register. And yeah, even if you bought the files, it's illegal to package them up and send them to each other, and it's legal to create a playlist and share that via a streaming service, so none of this makes any sense.

That said, I've never used a streaming service before (I've streamed albums on NPR or whatever when they are sent out like a week before they're released, but nothing beyond that), so I know nothing about them. If it's easy to use, I'm sure I'll listen to the playlist. If I have to register for something, I guess we'll see.

Listening to these play lists, in one way or another, has always been a pain. Whether it's from reordering files, or trying to stream a playlist, I have rarely had an experience with one where I download and go.

All of the bitching over the years has made me laugh, honestly. This competition isn't for anything but fun. Some people take shit WAY too seriously. That is your loss, I guess.

And I'm not saying I do this, but I know, at least in the past, not everyone listens to every list. That's stuck with me since the early days, to not make such a big deal about this, because I don't even know who's actually going to even bother in the end.

And I know this is going to be met with a chorus of, 'I listen to whole lists!' well, so do I, but if everyone is doing so now, that's a significantly positive change from the beginning.

Which is why this response:

...is really silly.

I just really dislike this semi-recent change to the point that I would actively cease to participate in the tournament because of it. Just glad I found out now before I uploaded anything or made copies of stuff, changed artwork, etc.

...when was the last time anyone actually cared about the "desert island" aspect? DI2? It's just a name. It has never crossed my mind doing these competitions. Your post seemed pretty extreme when you consider that a) a hell of a lot of people stream their music these days b) an even bigger amount of people download illegally and c) this entire competition would require you to obtain music illegally.

Tourist, are you arguing against streaming services from a practical or moral level, or both? I really can't tell. Part of your stance takes on a high horse "well I BUY music, motherfucker" tone, whereas you also seem to be voicing concern about 1. music selection and 2. portability.

If it's a moral thing, well, I guess that's your call. The same arguments have been voiced by artists in the past and I understand them. If it's an ease of use thing, just don't listen to those lists and the people who made them will take that into account next time. This is a democracy, dammit.

Either way, I don't mind you saying how you feel about this, at all. I want DI to reach a point of Internet Nirvana where there are no complaints and it's all about the music, man. And that can't happen without some adjustments. I'm just trying to discern what the core of your complaint is.

From a practical level. In retrospect, I should have said "acquire" as it pertains to everyone (besides, I still only acquire maybe 90% of the music in my iTunes library through purchases these days). The real issue I have is that if people really want to use a song, how difficult is it to acquire the song for your desert island list so that you can upload it for those who will not use streaming services for whatever reason. Also, you mentioned just not listening to those lists: that is something I would not do. If I'm going to compete, I'm going to listen to every list. It would be arrogant of me to make other people listen to my list while knowing full well I will not listen to theirs.

While streaming might be a nice option for those with unlimited data and who subscribe to said services, it might be nice. But as an only option in some instances it really, really sucks.

...when was the last time anyone actually cared about the "desert island" aspect? DI2? It's just a name. It has never crossed my mind doing these competitions. Your post seemed pretty extreme when you consider that a) a hell of a lot of people stream their music these days b) an even bigger amount of people download illegally and c) this entire competition would require you to obtain music illegally.

You're reading my comment in the worst possible light.

Debating the merits of streaming services is a valuable conversation to have, I think, though this is probably not the place for it. What's clear to me is that streaming is not a sustainable model for artists. As bad as something like iTunes is in paying artists, something like Spotify is substantially worse.

I listen to all of your lists via stream, as much as I can. But , I also upload, because I realize that not everyone has the benefit of WiFi on their phone/tablet.

Debating the merits of streaming services is a valuable conversation to have, I think, though this is probably not the place for it. What's clear to me is that streaming is not a sustainable model for artists. As bad as something like iTunes is in paying artists, something like Spotify is substantially worse.

Boner and Apple are going to fix all of that don't you read???

I opt to make my list with tactual song files because it's just easier to drag and drop them into a folder, and label accordingly. Unless the iTunes of the person who downloads my list goes crazy and tries re-tagging them (or mine gets ahold of them and undoes it), it's less irritating than typing every single thing into spotify (and hoping I can find it--because they'd force me to use Wilson Pickett's version of "you left all the water running" when I want to use Otis Redding's, which may be something of a spoiler for my list, or may be some random example that has absolutely nothing to do with my list. But I can tell you that not having that particular version of that song is something that periodically irritates me about spotify, since it's better than everyone else who ever recorded it).

Back
Top Bottom