Desert Island X: Group 3 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shit, I forgot to pass that streaming link along. It got buried under the rankings and I forgot about it. FWIW, I didn't have any issues with the order when I heard your list. It's no big deal having to put a list together manually once in a while. In fact, I'm used to it. Most lists were really poorly tagged back in the day.

If anyone wants the streaming link, let me know. My apologies for fucking that up.

I forgive you. :) No problem. I just wish I was understood around here a little more, that's all.

Gump, I sorry I didn't put a statement out there but the songs are out of order. Megaphonic doesn't follow the Beatles to National. Please check out my playlist on the first page and you will see what I mean. I feel dumb I didn't say anything to anyone. :doh: I sent Lemonmelon a stream version and I assumed every got it. Did you get that, Lemonmelon? It's probably too late now.

Oh, now that makes total sense. I generally check against the original list, but forgot to do it this time. Ugh. My bad. Forget my comments about cohesiveness and transitions - will definitely try to listen to it again in the right order before submitting my rankings.

I too checked the order. Most of it was in the correct order via tagging but I think like four of the tracks were all listed as "1." Didn't end up being a problem for me but I see where it would have been if people didn't check.

Oh, now that makes total sense. I generally check against the original list, but forgot to do it this time. Ugh. My bad. Forget my comments about cohesiveness and transitions - will definitely try to listen to it again in the right order before submitting my rankings.

Don't feel bad. Thanks. :)

Liam, Yr List is a Sucker

Nahhh jokes. Finished part one of your list. I thought the Dinosaur Jr track was okay but I hated the next two songs. Both to me just gave me visions of some crappy band trying to hard, playing crappy music in a crappy bar. Sorry. Hum and Neko Case tracks were good, Daryl Hall was a bit WTF in there but managed to work well enough. The St Vincent and Nick Drake tracks were my fav part, though the next three tracks didn't do a great deal for me.

I will just say that I am very aware that Husker Du and Wire are well-loved bands by both critics and fans alike. I just really, really did not like either track Liam used. If/when I get into either band I will do more research.

There are definitely Wire songs you would find more appealing. Outdoor Miner, for instance.

Husker Du, man, I don't know. Celebrated Summer is one of their most beloved and accessible songs. The last couple of albums are more pop-oriented and catchy, but after Zen Arcade I don't think any of their material is really that heavy. Maybe they just aren't your thing.

I think it's interesting that you compare the two in that manner, especially considering Wire's conceptual approach ("We're going to rewrite Johnny B. Badd with one chord! We're going to write a song with 106 syllables in it!") and Husker Du's general aggression and anger.

Despite those differences, they are similarly unadorned - they're trying to recreate a band playing in a room, albeit a weird band playing in a room. It's totally not for everyone, and could be a real turn off. (especially right at the beginning.) Thanks for being open minded. :)

My favorite thing about Liam's list is how it is a lot of stuff I suddenly discovered existing when I was in college via the university radio station. I left with a pretty bitter and jaded attitude toward college radio by the end of my senior year, but the dinosaur jr, husker du, mr bungle, all that stuff brings me back to my freshman year when I thought because I knew all sorts of punk rock that wasn't played on the radio that I knew a lot about music. It reminds me not of getting suspended for shit talking the polka show (which I didn't actually do, we were making fun of the fund drive I guess by offering a loaf of bread we found in the lobby for a $1 dollar pledge, and how no one was going to pledge money to the radio system during a punk rock show at 1am...which was a time slot I was still pissed about being bumped to because the program director gave the slot I'd had for the last 2 years to the dude she was sleeping with or some bullshit), but of pizza listening parties and discovering I didn't know shit about music. Good times. :up:

So liam, I listened to your list a second time. It still sounded a bit messy to me overal. There were some abrupt changes of genre that didn't exactly work. I can't go into detail about everything cause I listened to it a while ago but here are some songs/combinations I really liked and didn't like:

I loved the opening combination of Dinosaur Jr. and Wire. I also loved the Neko Case track. She's one of the artists I've heard several great songs by this DI. I didn't enjoy the Something in 4/4 Time. Too cheesy. Now, Now is St. Vincent song I didn't recognize but I loved it. The two highlights of the second half were Elvis Costello (even though the transition into it was pretty bad) and Red House Painters. And what was the purpose of that second to last song? Couldn't get into that one.

namkcuR:

Just like with liam's list, it's a while since I actually listened to yours so I don't remember everything too well. I listened to it via Grooveshark but there were only 40 songs on there if I remember correctly. I just checked and there are only 39 at the moment. Did some of them get deleted or something? I'll start by saying that I liked your list a lot overal. A nice concept and more importantly a good execution.

The opening tracks were nice without leaving a lasting impression on me.. The first tracks that stood out to me were Headlock and Iieee. Those were back-to-back on the stream so there were two songs missing I guess. I thought they worked really well together though. Another highlight of the opening section was Troublemaker. It was one of the few songs I was already familiar with. The section that included Brenda Lee, Patsy Cline and Bonnie Raitt was my least favorite. I thought it was sappy and boring.

Patti Scialfa and Patti Smith were a welcome change of pace. Those songs followed by Blondie and Garbage was one of my favorite parts. HAIM The Pretenders and PJ Harvey also had great tracks. You can easily guess that the rocking part was my favorite, no? The R&B section was nice as well but there weren't as many stand-outs. The relaxing vibe of the whole final third of your playlist was nicely done. I loved the Audrey Hepburn track and I also enjoyed hearing such a surprising side of Lady Gaga.

Very good playlist. :up:

your second half Liam... didn't do a great deal for me although I had less opposition to it than some of the first. I really liked the Owen Pallet track, and obviously I need to get into Red House Painters, that was a good tune. Mr Bungle, yeah, no idea what the fuck you were going with there, and Silkworm was a good closer. Overall, quite eclectic, definitely not forgettable, but unlikely to get a lot of points from me.

Phanan I also listened to your list today and really enjoyed it. Just when I felt it might be starting to outstay its welcome there was a track that came along that re-energised me. It got off to a great start and that continued through about the first 10 tracks. Highlights were Little Dragon, M83, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, Chromatics, Cut Copy, although Little Boots made me sad cos all I could think of was Lil Boosie. The next few tracks dragged a bit for me but Information Society and Neon Neon was a killer duo, loved that Raquel track. Goldfrapp just sounded like a cover of Spirit in the Sky. Depeche Mode song was pretty great, although I'd have liked a stronger closer than Metroland, I got what the song was going for but didn't think it quite achieved it. Overall, a great list, and my goodness what flow.

CIB:

I like Candy Says, but not as an opener. Hell, I don't even like it as the opener to the album it's from!

It's hard to argue with any of the first ten songs. I mean, they are all fantastic. And I thought the transitions were fine. I think someone mentioned The Last Goodbye -> Black Star, and I'll second that as a highlight.

For the second half, I'm glad you mixed things up with some tracks that aren't as familiar to most of us. Local Natives and Eels were great, and I hadn't heard that Longwave song before but really enjoyed it.

That Stars Are Spaceships tune was probably my most disliked thing on here, and I didn't care for the following track, either. But then you closed with five great songs, although like others have stated, I don't think ending with Everybody Hurts was the way to go. Another song there at the end would have been better.

Extra points for including Mojave 3, who I've always liked but don't get discussed too much around here. However, that's canceled out a bit by using the shorter version of Mercy Street. I would have preferred the original there.

This was a very good listen, minus a couple of hiccups for me.

Phanan I also listened to your list today and really enjoyed it. Just when I felt it might be starting to outstay its welcome there was a track that came along that re-energised me. It got off to a great start and that continued through about the first 10 tracks. Highlights were Little Dragon, M83, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, Chromatics, Cut Copy, although Little Boots made me sad cos all I could think of was Lil Boosie. The next few tracks dragged a bit for me but Information Society and Neon Neon was a killer duo, loved that Raquel track. Goldfrapp just sounded like a cover of Spirit in the Sky. Depeche Mode song was pretty great, although I'd have liked a stronger closer than Metroland, I got what the song was going for but didn't think it quite achieved it. Overall, a great list, and my goodness what flow.

Thanks man.

Phanan, I enjoyed your list. If there was a club that played the type of music on your playlist, I'd go there all the time. It was full of really strong dance tunes, but also with an emphasis on live instruments, which I love. Little Dragon and M83 went great together, as did the segment from Cut Copy to Tears for Fears. The playlist lost me a bit around Erasure, but picked right back up again with Metric. It was pretty excellent from there to the end, especially the picks for Chvrches, St. Lucia and Depeche Mode. Fantastic flow all the way through.

ALRIGHT finally back to these lists. Sorry for being a tardy cunt. Been a bit busy of late.

namckuR, what is the origin of your name? Is ruckman a position in some American sport? Because it is a crucial position in Australian Rules football. This is Bonnie's favourite player, Nic Nat, on the right, facing up against Paddy Ryder from Essendon.

r550444_3253748.jpg

But anyway, on to your list. I don't have a great deal to say about it other than this - it was a huge slog to get through but there were some really good songs and it flowed well. Geez that PJ Harvey song is great. And wow, Fiona Apple's cover of the song from Willy Wonka was stunning. It had a nice ending.

Listening to CIB's at the moment, have really enjoyed it so far. Might just be the mood I'm in at the moment but just enjoying some good songs. Was at an electronic festival yesterday and the final DJ finished his set with "Dreams" and it was so great so to randomly hear it again here is great.

Up to Last Goodbye at the moment. I actually haven't heard this song before - yes, I know, frigin coblr. Had a quick look at some of the songs you'd used before listening and saw a track from The Bends - for half a second I thought Last Goodbye was Radiohead circa The Bends, and it doesn't sound too dissimilar to Black Star, so very fucking well done there.

Was pretty hit-or-miss from thereon out for me, but overall quite liked it. Not very challenging but it hit the sweet spot for me several times.

Back
Top Bottom