Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobl04's Playlist:

- The trilogy of Rolling Stones, Bowie, and The National worked brilliantly together. Energetic start to the playlist with some great picks by all three artists.
- Thought the transition was off between “Abel” and “Ibi Dreams Of Pavement.” The build-up didn’t work well with the former’s explosive ending.
- Los Campesinos! is a band I’ve only gotten into with their latest release, but that was a damn good song. Worked well with Tame Impala too.
- I really enjoyed the Australian segment of the playlist, all the songs worked well together but didn’t sounds repetitive. Good variety of artists from same place.
- I wasn’t really a fan of the acoustic section from Nick Drake to Bob Seger. I don’t usually mind stripped down tracks like this but I just don’t enjoy most of the songs from these three.
- On the other hand, I love the segment from “Here Comes The Sun” to “Fake Plastic Trees.” Simply beautiful songs that fit together wonderfully. I especially though Eno into Coldplay was a perfect fit.
- “Bodies” was an incredible song. As much as I love “Fuck You,” I feel bad that it seems to be overshadowing the rest of Cee-Lo’s very strong album.
- I really liked the Massive Attack to Gorillaz segment. Three awesome tracks that fit well together.
- As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t like hardcore rap so that middle segment did nothing for me.
- However, you ended really strongly with LCD Soundsystem. Great way to close the setlist.

Although I liked part 1 better than part 2, this was a very strong effort from beginning to end. Great job!

i should probably give cobbler's second half a second shot. 50 cent pretty much single-handedly ruined things for me (although it wasn't the only thing i didn't dig, that was the biggest deterrent). kind of like i should give cee-lo another shot, or something. ladies and gentlemen, you've caught me in probably the most open-minded mood i've been in in the last 12 years. where's bomac? he's gonna think i'm lying.

Then, I plan on having everyone submit rankings shortly after, perhaps on March 1. I'll set a firm date when I launch the fourth thread.

Phanan, can you we have more time for the fourth thread? The other threads got at least 2 weeks of listening. And I don't think it's fair since it's the last one that it gets 3 days of listening before people turn in their rankings. I think a week at least would be fair. Just my thoughts. :shrug:

Okay, so for whatever strange reason Namkcur’s playlist will not download for me. I just went ahead and listened to it via Youtube videos (which thankfully had every track.) I did not take into account transitions.

Namkcur
Highlight: The combination of A Lover’s Concerto and Air.

Favorite Aspect: I liked the concept. 2010 and 1974 really captured what you were going for more than the other two in my opinion.

Other Things I liked:
1. 2010 was my favorite section. Not a bad song in it.
2. LCD Soundsystem is the main artist I am going to look into after I am done with all the playlists. Unfortunately they are breaking up, so great timing there!
3. I love the song 7 Seconds.

Phanan, can you we have more time for the fourth thread? The other threads got at least 2 weeks of listening. And I don't think it's fair since it's the last one that it gets 3 days of listening before people turn in their rankings. I think a week at least would be fair. Just my thoughts. :shrug:

There are only three playlists in the fourth thread; it shouldn't take longer than a week to get through those. And since you are in that group, you only have to listen to two.

Remember, as of March 1st, we will have been doing this for TWO MONTHS. That is more than enough time.

There are only three playlists in the fourth thread; it shouldn't take longer than a week to get through those. And since you are in that group, you only have to listen to two.

Remember, as of March 1st, we will have been doing this for TWO MONTHS. That is more than enough time.

Yes, that makes a whole lot of sense. Yes, two months is a lot of time and people should finish the playlists with no problem. Thanks for explaining. :)

Cobl04's Playlist:

- The trilogy of Rolling Stones, Bowie, and The National worked brilliantly together. Energetic start to the playlist with some great picks by all three artists.
- Thought the transition was off between “Abel” and “Ibi Dreams Of Pavement.” The build-up didn’t work well with the former’s explosive ending.
- Los Campesinos! is a band I’ve only gotten into with their latest release, but that was a damn good song. Worked well with Tame Impala too.
- I really enjoyed the Australian segment of the playlist, all the songs worked well together but didn’t sounds repetitive. Good variety of artists from same place.
- I wasn’t really a fan of the acoustic section from Nick Drake to Bob Seger. I don’t usually mind stripped down tracks like this but I just don’t enjoy most of the songs from these three.
- On the other hand, I love the segment from “Here Comes The Sun” to “Fake Plastic Trees.” Simply beautiful songs that fit together wonderfully. I especially though Eno into Coldplay was a perfect fit.
- “Bodies” was an incredible song. As much as I love “Fuck You,” I feel bad that it seems to be overshadowing the rest of Cee-Lo’s very strong album.
- I really liked the Massive Attack to Gorillaz segment. Three awesome tracks that fit well together.
- As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t like hardcore rap so that middle segment did nothing for me.
- However, you ended really strongly with LCD Soundsystem. Great way to close the setlist.

Although I liked part 1 better than part 2, this was a very strong effort from beginning to end. Great job!

thanks a lot joey, i enjoyed reading your comments and glad to hear you enjoyed a lot of it! :)

Friggin' Cobbler broke my friggin' iTunes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. During every song from Eno through Radiohead, it kept spazzing out. Once it got to the Flaming Lips, it was okay again. No idea what its problem was. Even tried to close & restart it, no good. :shrug:

I really liked your list. Well, the first half. Hip-hop isn't my thing. I liked Cee-Lo and Gorillaz and Jay-Z, of course, but the rest of it just was blah and boring for me. The first half was awesome. I don't think there's one song I didn't enjoy. The opening trio may be one of the strongest openings of DI VIII. Good job, Weribee. :up:

Friggin' Cobbler broke my friggin' iTunes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. During every song from Eno through Radiohead, it kept spazzing out. Once it got to the Flaming Lips, it was okay again. No idea what its problem was. Even tried to close & restart it, no good. :shrug:

I really liked your list. Well, the first half. Hip-hop isn't my thing. I liked Cee-Lo and Gorillaz and Jay-Z, of course, but the rest of it just was blah and boring for me. The first half was awesome. I don't think there's one song I didn't enjoy. The opening trio may be one of the strongest openings of DI VIII. Good job, Weribee. :up:

so you did get to listen to the whole thing in the end though?

glad you so enjoyed part one. i knew i was pushing shit uphill to have part two well liked, so no worries there. thrilled to read you liked all part one however.

and it's "WeRRibee", thank you very much :wink:

so you did get to listen to the whole thing in the end though?

glad you so enjoyed part one. i knew i was pushing shit uphill to have part two well liked, so no worries there. thrilled to read you liked all part one however.

and it's "WeRRibee", thank you very much :wink:
yeah, played the songs individually to get the four or five-second sections that itunes got stuck on; worked like a charm.

Part two was fine at first, it just got a little tiring after NWA.

Whatever. FRRiggin' CobbleRR. :tongue:

bono_212

- I really enjoyed the 80s segment at the beginning. Well put together and the songs all flowed without sound too similar to each other.
- I'm not really a fan of that lo-fi, Bloody Valentine type of noise so I didn't enjoy that track or "Strange Fruit."
- Chapterhouse through Galaxie500 was an amazing segment. Loved how the three tracks sounded together.
- The strings at the end of "Vapour Trail" worked brilliantly with the "All The Lights" interlude. Beautiful segment
- Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of some of the tracks towards the end, such as Echo & the Bunnymen, Big Country, Tom Petty, and Fleetwood Mac.
- The ending duo is one of the strongest I've seen in this round. "Suburban War" and "Tonight, Tonight" worked far better together than I thought they would. Great way to end the playlist!

Thank you very much Joey, and i'm glad someone commented on "Vapour Trail" and "All of The Lights", since that was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever done :lol:.

Shame you didn't like my favorite part of the list though :wink:.

oneblood's Jouissance

Highlight: A tie between N.E.R.D and Dr Dre. Both songs were a great groove and got me moving.

Favorite part: The stretch of Beck through Snoop Dogg. Usher's "Yeah!" always puts me in an awesome mood. And the old-school west-coast rap brought back memories of junior high school. :up: And who doesn't like Snoop?

Other Things I Licked: Alligator (Toro Y Moi Remix). This was quite cool. As was Buttaflybeat. Nice little drum solo interlude. Very nice transition from chillwave to electronica.

Hip-hop is not my thing. But this was quite enjoyable. Imma go listen to Nuthin But A 'G' Thang/Gin and Juice again. With Snoop and Dre guesting on each other's records, it felt like one solid piece. Excellent pairing there.

namkcuR's list was up tonight. I got through the 1984 section and absolutely adore it so far. That Julian Lennon track was delightful. I have that album, I should listen to it more often. The whole section was delightful. If the hosting site hadn't been such a bitch, I would've listened to more, but I'm definitely looking forward to the rest.

namkcuR's Time Is A Train

Time travel, eh? Well, as a quantum physics nerd and a Doctor Who fan, I'll just say this, Allons-Y! :hitsplay:

Favourite Part: 1974. Being a child of the 90's, I'd heard the Fugees' version of "Killing Me Softly" but not Roberta Flack's. Upon hearing it, I think this must be some kind of crime against music. Not that The Fugees' version is bad, but Roberta's is just that much better. Cat Stevens and Carole King were an awesome pairing. So were John Lennon and Stevie Wonder.

Highlight: Arcade Fire's "The Sprawl". I'm so glad I threw my hat into the ring this time, cause I never would've found out that I like this band. I must get my hands on a copy of The Suburbs ASAP!

Other things I liked:
  • Muse > Camera Obscura. That transition was brilliant.
  • Julian Lennon. He inherited his father's voice and songwriting skills. Loved it. Also from 1984: ABBA. I didn't think I would, but that song grew on me as it played.
  • Mad props for including RHCP.
  • The 1965 bookends. Both of these songs were lovely.

Definitely snagged one of the top spots in my rankings. Very, very awesome listening experience.

I'm sorry, namkcuR, but I must dissent from Reggo. I appreciate what you were getting at, and I certainly think you made the right decision jumbling up the eras rather than going in chronological order. However, most of the music was simply not to my tastes. For example, I didn't care for most of the 1974 section, and I have no idea what possessed you to include Matt Bellamy Insulting The Memory Of Freddie Mercury United States Of Eurasia. I also found the 1984 section in particular to be quite incohesive, featuring a number of abrupt transitions and awkward pairings (Down Under's placement especially). The section I enjoyed the most was 1994; the Jane's Addiction track is the highlight of the list.

The other list from this group that I've completed is that by onebloodonelife. I was pretty curious what I would make of it ... and it didn't start well, since I can't fucking stand B.o.B, though you got me back on board with Teen Daze. As I expected, the chillwave section was my favourite, and thanks for the reminder that I need to hurry the fuck up and listen to more Memory Tapes. I also found the electronica portion pretty appealling. Now this may come as some surprise to some people, but out of the remaining sections, the one I enjoyed the most was From The Westside. I really, really didn't care for Bass Bangin' apart from Hot Chip; Timberlake/Usher/Missy Elliott was my least favourite portion of the list. I admit I was a bit let down by I Blow It By The O. Given I'm quite a fan of stoner metal, I was hoping this would have a similar sort of vibe expressed through a different genre of music ... alas, I found it mostly rather boring. Oh well, we'll see what you make of Kyuss in my entry!

Listening to Ashley's list right now and absolutely loving it.

Anyone else still behind? I know you are annoyed that we're not all finished phanan, but I know that I, the two posters above me and CIB are behind, and a few others have posted little if at all in these threads. I feel a deadline of the 7th would be spectacular, but it's up to you and if others are all done well bad luck to me I guess.

Nammy I've finished your list, and I quite enjoyed it, certainly more than your last one. Transitions and flow didn't bother me as it did others. The 2010 section was my favourite, some truly great choices, namely All I Want, Sprawl II and Foreground. I must take umbrage with the horrible excuse for a Queen homage that was the Muse song, that was just terrible.

Elsewhere I really enjoyed the tracks by Phish, Janes Addiction, The Doors, Bowie and others. Grace was the complete opposite to what I thought the song would sound like, never having heard it.

:up:

On to Cassie's list, one I suspect I will thoroughly enjoy.

Anyone else still behind? I know you are annoyed that we're not all finished phanan, but I know that I, the two posters above me and CIB are behind, and a few others have posted little if at all in these threads. I feel a deadline of the 7th would be spectacular, but it's up to you and if others are all done well bad luck to me I guess.

I'm not annoyed, just figured we'd like to have this wrapped up by now.

But anyway, I just sent a PM, because now I can't do it this Wednesday, and I'm never around on Thursday nights...and I don't want to do it on a weekend when quite a few people might not be here.

So we'll now have the rankings be due by the end of this weekend - Sunday, March 6.

The results thread will now be started at approximately 10pm EST on Monday, March 7.

So if you needed a little more time to finish this, you just got yourself a break.

Anyone else still behind? I know you are annoyed that we're not all finished phanan, but I know that I, the two posters above me and CIB are behind, and a few others have posted little if at all in these threads.

As per usual, it seems listenership has decreased with each successive round. I hope that doesn't adversely affect those of us in rounds three and four!

Though speaking of this round, I finished bono_212's list last night. Ashley, you've outdone yourself, and I'm going to have a very hard time picking between you and phanan for a top list, though I think phanan may have my #1 spot by a hair. That's mainly because most of the first six songs didn't do a whole lot for me ... but from there on in, your list is absolute aural bliss. I'm not sure what in particular to comment on, because it was all so damn good. Reptile/The Dead Heart/A Trick Of The Light is just about the sound of the Australian landmass to me (changing the Triffids pick to Wide Open Road would've nailed it). Your MBV pick is one of their few songs that I actually rate, and the run from there to If You Want Me (one of my favourite Chapterhouse songs) was simply beautiful. Hell, this worked so well that even some of the artists near the end that I don't care for, notably Sufjan, appealled to me and just added to the experience. I finished and just wanted MOAR.

- I'm not really a fan of that lo-fi, Bloody Valentine type of noise so I didn't enjoy that track or "Strange Fruit."

I really must take exception to this, since there is nothing lo-fi about either band. Catherine Wheel were just an alt rock/grungy kind of band who happened to get lumped in with the shoegaze scene because of their geographic origins and the fact they used a couple more effects pedals than usual, while MBV produced the daylights out of Loveless (which, I guess, leads to it sounding a bit muddled, but it's hardly lo-fi).

Now if you want some serious lo-fi noise, I can hook you up with The Dead C. :wink:

Last for me from group three is friggin' cobl04. This list actually exceeded my expectations. I expected the first half to be alright albeit patchy, and the second half to be fairly unenjoyable. The first half was actually really consistent (in fact, the whole list is well constructed); the run from Crowded House to Paul Dempsey was fantastic, the undeniable highlight of the list. How the hell can I say no to When You Come/Leaps And Bounds? And goddamn I need to find that Paul Dempsey album. Really the only thing I could've totally done without is the Rolling Stones, and you've shown me that maybe I should pay a bit more attention to Pavement.

As for the second half, I admit there were some songs I didn't care for, e.g. Cee-Lo Green was boring, didn't think much of R. Kelly, and that Ice Cube song was pretty poor. It's especially disappointing that the Ice Cube song came after that half's best duo of tracks - I dug that pairing of Eye Know/Empire Ants. Unexpectedly, I found myself enjoying that NWA track, though it came with a hilarious mental image of you grooving to it. :wink: All in all, a good effort, and certainly better than I credited it on paper.

thanks ax! i'm really stoked that you've enjoyed so much of it, even more :D that you've appreciated some hip-hop tracks on my list and others. i knew you'd be on board with the Crowdies/PK pairing. ;)

and you do need to find the Paul Dempsey album, Everything is True. everybody does, it's really good :)

Though speaking of this round, I finished bono_212's list last night. Ashley, you've outdone yourself, and I'm going to have a very hard time picking between you and phanan for a top list, though I think phanan may have my #1 spot by a hair. That's mainly because most of the first six songs didn't do a whole lot for me ... but from there on in, your list is absolute aural bliss. I'm not sure what in particular to comment on, because it was all so damn good. Reptile/The Dead Heart/A Trick Of The Light is just about the sound of the Australian landmass to me (changing the Triffids pick to Wide Open Road would've nailed it). Your MBV pick is one of their few songs that I actually rate, and the run from there to If You Want Me (one of my favourite Chapterhouse songs) was simply beautiful. Hell, this worked so well that even some of the artists near the end that I don't care for, notably Sufjan, appealled to me and just added to the experience. I finished and just wanted MOAR.

:eek:. Oh hey thanks, man. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm definitely glad to hear that you enjoyed the ending as well, that's an achievement in my book :lol:

Finished your list, Cassie. Really dug it, though perhaps not quite as much as your di7 list.

The bob song was horrible I thought, the music was okay but the lyrics and the vocals especially I didn't like. Teen Daze and Dam-Funk songs were brilliant.

Not surprisingly I loved Hot Chip through Snoop. N*E*R*D are pretty awesome, if inconsistent, and I love that track. My face lit up when I heard Andre 3000 and then Big Boi in the UGK track, that was awesome. I didn't like the Dom Kennedy track particularly after three such out-n-out g-funk/westside classics.

The Blow it by the O section was easily my least favourite I have to say. That Kid Cudi songs encapsulates everything I didn't like about that record. The Atmosphere song was great, though.

The chillwave/electronica section was pretty awesome, jj, Tegan and Sara, Memory Tapes, Toro y Moi and Flying Lotus in particular. I'm singing out Baths because I fell head over heels with that song instantly.

:up::up::up:

Listened to colb_04:

Love the first part immensely. Flow was seamless.

Favorite section: Broken Social Scene to Bob Seger (minus the Paul Dempsey song.) This whole part was magical and after every song I wanted to hear more.

Thing I didn't like: I find the Paul Dempsey song annoying and I don't know why.

This part had a really friendly, easy-going, chilling vibe.

I enjoyed Part 2. until it got to Ice Cube and then it went downhill from there. I know that rap made me want to dance in LemonMelon's list but I this rap got tiring really fast. I can take profanity but it got old really fast as well. Gansta, pimp, gansta, pimp, bling, pimp, enough already! Do you have anything else to sing about? All the rappers sound the same. It sounds like you were listening to Kayne West 20 times over. :crack: This list was going to be to get a good ranking based on Part 1. but honestly, I had to skip over tracks to get through this. But there were things I really liked:

Ending it with "Home."

I LOVED "Eye Know" and "Empire Ants." I haven't heard "Eye Know" since early ninites. It brings back good memories.

I did dig the Outkast song.

So overall, the first Part 1. stood out for me more than Part 2. You'll get a decent ranking from me because of Part 1. and some really good songs on Part 2.

Cool beans. I really have to disagree about gangsta rap all being the same, but it's certainly not for everyone. Glad you enjoyed part one so much :)

I hope I didn't come arcoss too harsh againist my dislike of rap. I just never liked it too much. But I am happy you like rap and making the list so much. :)

Finished your list, Cassie. Really dug it, though perhaps not quite as much as your di7 list.

The bob song was horrible I thought, the music was okay but the lyrics and the vocals especially I didn't like. Teen Daze and Dam-Funk songs were brilliant.

Not surprisingly I loved Hot Chip through Snoop. N*E*R*D are pretty awesome, if inconsistent, and I love that track. My face lit up when I heard Andre 3000 and then Big Boi in the UGK track, that was awesome. I didn't like the Dom Kennedy track particularly after three such out-n-out g-funk/westside classics.

The Blow it by the O section was easily my least favourite I have to say. That Kid Cudi songs encapsulates everything I didn't like about that record. The Atmosphere song was great, though.

The chillwave/electronica section was pretty awesome, jj, Tegan and Sara, Memory Tapes, Toro y Moi and Flying Lotus in particular. I'm singing out Baths because I fell head over heels with that song instantly.

:up::up::up:

I should also add Cassie that your transitions & flow were sublime.

Thanks, Danny! I'm a little disappointed about the Dom Kennedy track not hitting you as well though. It was placed in there to show that the West sound is not all NWA, Snoop Dogg, and Tupac, while still having the sonics and aural qualities of the West Coast. It's a brilliant track, really.

Baths is freaking amazing. I saw him last week, as a matter of fact. Awkward white guy dancing glitchily to his wonky electronica songs. :up:

Back
Top Bottom