Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm probably about halfway through the playlist.

A couple of classic rock staples to kick things off, and then shortly after, we hit a Lou Reed/David Bowie setlist. They go together for the most part, but that's not too surprising when it goes VU/Iggy covering Bowie/Reed/Bowie. I probably would have spread those songs out throughout the playlist more. I also would have put Rocket Man right after Perfect Day. They sound great together.

True Faith was a bit jarring after, but perhaps that was more due to the volume level being much higher. A great stretch of songs followed, perhaps not quite sequenced as well as it could have - although I liked Mother's Little Helper into Mr. Brownstone (an unheralded G'nR gem, if you ask me).

The R&H version of Bad is great, obviously, but doesn't work very well in a playlist setting. The Wide Awake In America version would have sufficed there, I think.

Gold Dust Woman :up:

More comments...

I can't remember the last time I heard Digging Your Scene.

Great Crowded House choice.

BTW, it's Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. Song title FAIL. :wink:

But it's one of my all-time favorite McCartney compositions, so I'll let it slide this time.

Oh, look - it's Perfect Day again. Not a bad cover actually.

I'm glad someone else has put Elvis on a playlist. I feel he doesn't get enough credit around here at times. So little is talked of him. Great pick too.

Jungleland. Nothing else needs to be said there.

Great songs all around. I still get the feeling they were kind of thrown together hastily, and perhaps I'm way off there, but the flow seems a bit choppy in places.

So in conclusion, I dig most of the songs here, but probably would have done a different running order.

Ok, so work got in the way a bit today. I'm still in the middle of this playlist.

My favorite stretch was from Nas all the way to The Roots. That section was just gold. I particularly liked Missing Link, which I didn't know, and the twofer of Express Yourself and Ham 'N' Eggs was vintage hip hop that I hadn't heard in a long time.

Wow, Cassie. Really enjoying this so far.

Ok, so work got in the way a bit today. I'm still in the middle of this playlist.

My favorite stretch was from Nas all the way to The Roots. That section was just gold. I particularly liked Missing Link, which I didn't know, and the twofer of Express Yourself and Ham 'N' Eggs was vintage hip hop that I hadn't heard in a long time.

Thanks, phanan! I'm very glad you liked it. It's been interesting to hear everybody's favorite parts so far, for sure. I have my own too, but I don't think I'll share until the end, maybe.

Bono would be proud too.

Just trying to do my part.

I did wrap things up late yesterday, but never commented.

While I'll agree that the last portion of the playlist wasn't as strong as what preceded it, I still thought it was pretty good. The last few songs in particular were great, almost as if the listener was coming full circle, like being back at the beginning in terms of the type of music.

So this was a very cool listen, with lots of stuff I'd never even heard before. Sometimes I think these types of playlists, the ones where you go into it having no idea what it is like (for the most part), are the most rewarding - by discovering great music that you didn't know existed, or knew existed but never really had the time to dive into it further.

Nice job.

1B1L. Wow. I don't have a whole lot to say about your list other than it's simply not my thing overall. A lot of it really, really ran together for me, so I suppose that makes the flow good. But... well... it wasn't for me. Nothing really stood out massively as something I'd really want to go check out. I feel bad for saying that, but it's how I feel. I simply didn't care for it! :reject:

Ian. This list is very different from your previous entry. Some of the songs (U2, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, The Shins, and Gnarls Barkley) are some of my favourites. Some of them I didn't care for at all (Bright Eyes, Springsteen, Okkervil). Some I thought were pretty good, but not the best. I liked the new National single. Arcade Fire's vocalist still bugs me. And that's where I am.

Ian (again). I liked parts of the second half a lot, and I didn't care for parts of the second half a lot. More divisive than the first half with less in the middle, I'd say. Loved The Flaming Lips, Elbow, Sparklehorse, Doves, and Radiohead. Also, Your Blue Room is one of my favourite U2 moments from the 90s. Especially that guitar at the end. Melts me. Anyway, Wilco wasn't bad, nor was Air France. The rest... meh. You know, I don't like REM, didn't care for Pavement or Massive Attack at all. Nor Bowie for that matter.

Just finished Cassie's - I enjoyed it a lot for sure. Obviously it isn't particularly diverse, but there's still arguably as much variety as any list that consists solely of rock. I enjoyed the first half more than the second by a fair margin, though, and that includes having listening to them in separate periods. However there weren't any bad songs, just some were a fair bit better than others. I did notice a few artist overlaps too, which was a shame - after all, BPM doesn't mean "Black Person Music".

Overall though, it was a lot of fun and though the odds are against it, I hope to see it go far in the comp.

1B1L. Wow. I don't have a whole lot to say about your list other than it's simply not my thing overall. A lot of it really, really ran together for me, so I suppose that makes the flow good. But... well... it wasn't for me. Nothing really stood out massively as something I'd really want to go check out. I feel bad for saying that, but it's how I feel. I simply didn't care for it! :reject:

You don't have to feel bad about not liking it. I knew going into the competition that the list was going to alienate some people. It's part of the game. That's also why I put this in the introducing paragraph:

Don’t like it? Well, like P.O.S. says, “we make our own and if they don’t feel it/Then we are not for them (and that’s cool).”

Plus, you've mentioned before on the boards that you don't like hip-hop, for the most part, so I wasn't exactly expecting you to love it.

I did it because I like a massive variety of music, which most people here know, but hip-hop was also the first genre I truly fell in love with, and for that reason, it will always hold a very special place in my heart. Because it's generally a genre that's denigrated for myriad reasons, I also feel like somebody's got to defend it and show off the incredibly talented artists outside of the mainstream or on the edges of the mainstream who don't fit into the stereotypical "rap" mold.

Just finished Cassie's - I enjoyed it a lot for sure. Obviously it isn't particularly diverse, but there's still arguably as much variety as any list that consists solely of rock. I enjoyed the first half more than the second by a fair margin, though, and that includes having listening to them in separate periods. However there weren't any bad songs, just some were a fair bit better than others. I did notice a few artist overlaps too, which was a shame - after all, BPM doesn't mean "Black Person Music".

Overall though, it was a lot of fun and though the odds are against it, I hope to see it go far in the comp.

Thanks for mentioning the diversity in rock thing. I totally agree and could go into a dissertation-length post about differentiation within the hip-hop genre as well, but I'll spare everyone. Definitely glad you enjoyed it overall!

Last edited:
I did it because I like a massive variety of music, which most people here know, but hip-hop was also the first genre I truly fell in love with, and for that reason, it will always hold a very special place in my heart. Because it's generally a genre that's denigrated for myriad reasons, I also feel like somebody's got to defend it and show off the incredibly talented artists outside of the mainstream or on the edges of the mainstream who don't fit into the stereotypical "rap" mold.

Amen, sister.

Word, brother.

Should've known that if somebody'd be on my side, it'd be the Basterd.

well you know i'm firmly on your side. :lol:

Ha, thanks Danny!

Nobody needed to be on my side, per say, though I do appreciate the both of you doing so, many thanks again. It's been fantastic to see people enjoy the list, and overall, it seems to be going over much, much better than I'd even expected. No matter how it fares in the competition, for me, it's been worth throwing together just for that.

So, again, tourist, no worries. It's not like I cried myself to sleep for the past couple days because you didn't dig the list or anything. Plus, it's inevitable that somebody won't enjoy it.

Ian (again). I liked parts of the second half a lot, and I didn't care for parts of the second half a lot. More divisive than the first half with less in the middle, I'd say. Loved The Flaming Lips, Elbow, Sparklehorse, Doves, and Radiohead. Also, Your Blue Room is one of my favourite U2 moments from the 90s. Especially that guitar at the end. Melts me. Anyway, Wilco wasn't bad, nor was Air France. The rest... meh. You know, I don't like REM, didn't care for Pavement or Massive Attack at all. Nor Bowie for that matter.

i'll spare you an essay, but cheers for listening. glad the list had a few hits rather than a total miss! putting it together i thought it might have been polarizing within itself (ow my wrist).

not sure if i want to stand by my decision to roll with your blue room this time through, i feel like i should have held it back for next time, but it's pretty aight where it is.

I finished up your list, Rhodes. I enjoyed your playlist but the latter half kinda put me to sleep, personally. Sorry to say. I have never enjoyed "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" a lot and some of the other songs you choose too. The Elvis was great! It's wonderful to hear Elvis on a playlist because unfortuately, he doesn't get a lot of attention around here like I think he should. He is the King, right? :) Anyways, the Crowded House and Beach Boys were great. I like some Neil Young and Doors songs but very few. So I didn't like the songs you choose for them. But overall, I enjoy the first half way better than the second but I can tell how much work went into this playlist, so good job. :up:

Alright, Joey, I listened to Part B. I really enjoy this part compared to Part A. Some of the standout songs for me were: "Torture Me," "Dumb," "The Book of Love," "My Body is a Cage," "St. Vincent," and "Don't Panic." "Nude" and "Bad" were nice too. But some songs put a very bad taste in my mouth, "NYC" and "Windowpane." I have heard many songs from Interpol trying to become a fan of theirs but it hasn't happened yet. "Windowpane" was just bizzare to me. And I prefer old Alice in Chains over contemporay.

So overall, I liked Part B. to Part A. I was crazy about a lot of songs from your playlist but I disliked many songs on your playlist too. I can see many people digging this type of music you put on your playlist. But I am sorry, there were too many songs I didn't like to properly enjoy this playlist the way I really wanted to.

Fair enough. The songs all depend on taste and some are hits/misses for different people. But thanks for giving the whole thing a chance after Part A didn't do it for you. :wave:

Started Sad Punk's list a little while ago. Man, the old school R&B and hip-hop is kinda killing me. I liked the Curtis Mayfield track, but that's pretty much it from the beginning. I'm up to the Elliot Smith song now, and I really liked it. Elliot Smith is someone I gave a chance once and then dismissed. This has been a few years now, and my tastes have changed considerably, so it might be time to give him another chance.

Couleurs and To Kingdom Come are two of my lesser favourites from the bands who made them. The Sleepy Jackson was okay, but I didn't care for Hercules And Love Affair at all. The same (in order) can be said about the two songs that followed, as well. I like the song by The Juan MacLean, though.

Forgot to finish my writeup about Sad Punk's list. From Beirut til the end, I liked this list a lot more than I had at the beginning (with the exception of The Mountain Goats' track and an unwelcome overstay from an Atlas Sound track). Love that song by Girls, though. Also the McCartney track is one that I really like but usually forget about.

And now I'm nearly finished with the first half of Joey's list. The Nine Inch Nails song was pretty good for what it is, but forgettable. The song by The Horrors was one that I was planning to use at one point--a good song. The one by Gorillaz was alright; Gorillaz aren't usually something I think of myself as liking except for certain singles (but it wasn't terrible). I love Beck. Thom Yorke's solo stuff has never done much for me. I liked the tracks by Crystal Castles and La Roux. Usually I really like Deerhunter, but the track you used was one I didn't care for at all. Then was Crocodiles, which I enjoyed, but that was followed by a Muse song that I felt is Muse playing to tweens who want to be edgy (but still like pop music). Newer Muse isn't really my thing. Oh, and I've never liked Rage Against The Machine. And now I'm finishing out the side with the Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse track, which I'm really digging. Wish this album had been given a proper release; I would love to have it in lossless. Overall, a stronger side than I would've guessed upon looking at it. It had a few weaknesses in my eyes, but more strengths. I'll have to check out more from Crystal Castles, La Roux, and Crocodiles for sure!

Back
Top Bottom