Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a feeling you'd like that song.

As for your list: quite surprised how well Spoon through to Talking Heads worked, but it really did. And Lupe Fiasco does not sing the kind of music I thought he did, not at all.

The last half hour was pretty much Genesis and Phish, so not a whole lot to report. Enjoyed both, particularly Genesis. Much of my overall impression of the list was written in the last post, but here are the ratings:

Songs: B+
Flow: A-
Overall: A-

I figure, hey, if both are that strong, round up.

This list is fucking great, Liam. Flows beautifully (in spite of some rather unfortunate cuts, such as the beginning and end of When You Sleep, as well as Ascension Day), and it has a very unique vibe about it all. That Keith Jarret composition was gorgeous.

Ascension Day is a deliberate, "composition cuts off in the middle" cut. When You Sleep is a bad cut. Keith Jarrett is an improvisation, not a composition.

And I enjoyed your list as well, Travis. So that's that. This was a great group. Good way to get things started.

And now...

... we wait.

The thing is, I think because it's an improvised piece of work, it becomes even more beautiful. Knowing that this is being written as it's being played. But yeah, the entire album is fantastic.

It's certainly impressive. However, I think there's a wonderful art in working within the parameters of and expanding upon an existing composition in a live setting, rather than merely making one up on the spot. The former is easier, I suppose, but I do appreciate both.

The point is, very nice choice. :up:

And I enjoyed your list as well, Travis. So that's that. This was a great group. Good way to get things started.

And now...

... we wait.

GROUP 1 4LYFE :hi5:

Just, speaking as someone who was in a jazz band in high school and did improvise from time to time...yeah. Doing it well is frikkin hard. But the edit makes more sense.

well ashley, i just finished your list.

wasn't a big fan of disc one, despite there being some good tunes in there - "Thank You Mario But Our Princess Is In Another Castle" would have to be one of the best titles ever - as it was all quite similar.

but i loved, loved, loved disc two. i really liked nearly every song, and the flow, especially Two Step > TUF > Royksopp > Teardrop > Swimming in the Flood :)heart:), was terrific.

of the three i've listened to so far, i think you'd be at #1.

now this Closing Time album by Tom Waits - good shit? because i've loved Lonely and quite liked I Hope I Don't Fall in Love...

Travis talked me into listening to it, and Hope that I Don't Fall in Love was the one that stuck, but the whole thing was really great.

Thanks for the listen :).

now this Closing Time album by Tom Waits - good shit? because i've loved Lonely and quite liked I Hope I Don't Fall in Love...

Yes. The best shit. Especially after 2 AM, preferably drunk off your ass. Might even work as a soundtrack to the hangover too. Really amusing observations and turns of phrase over chill music with melodies that truly sound like they've been around forever. The Heart Of Saturday Night is in that very same vein, which has Please Call Me, Baby and the title track, two of my very favorite Tom Waits songs.

Yes. The best shit. Especially after 2 AM, preferably drunk off your ass. Might even work as a soundtrack to the hangover too. Really amusing observations and turns of phrase over chill music with melodies that truly sound like they've been around forever. The Heart Of Saturday Night is in that very same vein, which has Please Call Me, Baby and the title track, two of my very favorite Tom Waits songs.

awesome. sounds great, been looking for an album like that, will purchase pronto !

well I finally got the tourist's to work..! so i'm listening to that now :)

still haven't gotten my links uploaded... however I will keep trying

I now have the next five playlists for the second Master thread.

They will be:

PhilsFan
cobl04
phanan
Cute Irish Bono
AtomicBono

If anyone has finished the first five and wish to get a head start on the next group, feel free to PM me and I'll send a playlist your way.

If anyone has finished the first five and wish to get a head start on the next group, feel free to PM me and I'll send a playlist your way.

I'll get in on this, and Ashley would like the links as well. I'm a very popular guy, so I've received 0 PMs since your last one; no chance of deleting them. :wink:

And I just finished it actually. Some of the transitions were pretty masterful. Willie Nelson->Tom Waits, Outkast->Eels both worked extremely well. That said, to me, the songs were much less enjoyable than the flow of the list.

Some of the songs were songs I really, really enjoyed. Those I'd heard before being by The Stone Roses, The Cure, Surfer Blood, Fleet Foxes, and Coldplay (I had a notion you didn't like Coldplay much, though, so I was surprised you used them in your list and referenced them in your title). Those I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed were those by Camera Obscura, Ryan Adams, Doves, Eels, and Spoon.

But there were also many songs on this list that I didn't particularly enjoy at all. Some of these artists are artists I've tried to like before, and had been considering giving another shot recently, but the songs herein reminded me why I had originally given up on them (Blur, Built To Spill, LCD Sound System, Neil Young). Also, I didn't care for some of the stuff by people I'd heard very little of (but had never tried to get into in the first place) such as Joni Mitchell, Liz Phair, and Randy Newman.

The rest of the tracks that I didn't mention fit in with me as being between average and above average (ie, I like Simon and Garfunkel, but America is one of my lesser favourite tracks, but still very solid).

Overall, very, very well put together. It's just not as much my style as I'd hoped.

And I just finished it actually. Some of the transitions were pretty masterful. Willie Nelson->Tom Waits, Outkast->Eels both worked extremely well. That said, to me, the songs were much less enjoyable than the flow of the list.

Some of the songs were songs I really, really enjoyed. Those I'd heard before being by The Stone Roses, The Cure, Surfer Blood, Fleet Foxes, and Coldplay (I had a notion you didn't like Coldplay much, though, so I was surprised you used them in your list and referenced them in your title). Those I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed were those by Camera Obscura, Ryan Adams, Doves, Eels, and Spoon.

But there were also many songs on this list that I didn't particularly enjoy at all. Some of these artists are artists I've tried to like before, and had been considering giving another shot recently, but the songs herein reminded me why I had originally given up on them (Blur, Built To Spill, LCD Sound System, Neil Young). Also, I didn't care for some of the stuff by people I'd heard very little of (but had never tried to get into in the first place) such as Joni Mitchell, Liz Phair, and Randy Newman.

The rest of the tracks that I didn't mention fit in with me as being between average and above average (ie, I like Simon and Garfunkel, but America is one of my lesser favourite tracks, but still very solid).

Overall, very, very well put together. It's just not as much my style as I'd hoped.

Disappointed that a number of the tracks did nothing for you, but I am at least glad you thought it all held together really well. Realistically, it's the only thing I can control; I can't make anyone enjoy the songs, but I can put together a list that's obviously lived-in and cohesive, which I felt I managed to do.

I'm by no means a Coldplay fan, but I do love Parachutes, as well as a few select songs from the following three albums. Strawberry Swing is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and it has some thematic significance that I would get into but don't want to seem like more of an attention whore than I already am. :)

Through the first 9 tracks and HOLY 80s, BATMAN! Not that I should be surprised. Some of those choices were a bit hit-or-miss for me. I loved The Killers track and the fun. track (hadn't heard either before), and of course I've always loved Bizarre Love Triangle. As is probably well known by now, though, I don't like Bruce Springsteen. [:reject:]

Disappointed that a number of the tracks did nothing for you, but I am at least glad you thought it all held together really well. Realistically, it's the only thing I can control; I can't make anyone enjoy the songs, but I can put together a list that's obviously lived-in and cohesive, which I felt I managed to do.

I'm by no means a Coldplay fan, but I do love Parachutes, as well as a few select songs from the following three albums. Strawberry Swing is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and it has some thematic significance that I would get into but don't want to seem like more of an attention whore than I already am. :)

Well this is the first list of artists not involving you that hasn't been a super hit for me. It was bound to happen at some point! I suppose I am just disappointed as compared to previous lists.

I'm moving through LM's list and am up to Leonard Cohen. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, and most of the transitions have been solid, especially Camera Obscura -> Surfer Blood. I thought that was great, and on paper I didn't think it would work.

Liz Phair -> Simon & Garfunkel, on the other hand, not so much. Good songs though (I've got America on mine, although I took it from the Best Of for a clean edit).

Quite the spectacular stretch going on right now. While Willie Nelson into Tom Waits was an abrupt edit, the move from there to Randy Newman was fantastic; this whole section has been a real treat. I even didn't mind Ryan Adams, and I usually can't stand him. Currently up to Coldplay.

Back
Top Bottom