Desert Island VII Master List, Part One - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,324
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Going to be starting LM's playlist in a moment. I count six artists here that are on mine as well, with two songs the same. In other words, I'll probably like it.
__________________

phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
I'm working on LM's list at the moment as well.
__________________

the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #143
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 67,546
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
If anyone has finished the first five and wish to get a head start on the next group, feel free to PM me and I'll send a playlist your way.
I'll get in on this, and Ashley would like the links as well. I'm a very popular guy, so I've received 0 PMs since your last one; no chance of deleting them.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
And I just finished it actually. Some of the transitions were pretty masterful. Willie Nelson->Tom Waits, Outkast->Eels both worked extremely well. That said, to me, the songs were much less enjoyable than the flow of the list.

Some of the songs were songs I really, really enjoyed. Those I'd heard before being by The Stone Roses, The Cure, Surfer Blood, Fleet Foxes, and Coldplay (I had a notion you didn't like Coldplay much, though, so I was surprised you used them in your list and referenced them in your title). Those I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed were those by Camera Obscura, Ryan Adams, Doves, Eels, and Spoon.

But there were also many songs on this list that I didn't particularly enjoy at all. Some of these artists are artists I've tried to like before, and had been considering giving another shot recently, but the songs herein reminded me why I had originally given up on them (Blur, Built To Spill, LCD Sound System, Neil Young). Also, I didn't care for some of the stuff by people I'd heard very little of (but had never tried to get into in the first place) such as Joni Mitchell, Liz Phair, and Randy Newman.

The rest of the tracks that I didn't mention fit in with me as being between average and above average (ie, I like Simon and Garfunkel, but America is one of my lesser favourite tracks, but still very solid).

Overall, very, very well put together. It's just not as much my style as I'd hoped.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
And now I'm listening to Ashley's list.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #146
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 67,546
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
And I just finished it actually. Some of the transitions were pretty masterful. Willie Nelson->Tom Waits, Outkast->Eels both worked extremely well. That said, to me, the songs were much less enjoyable than the flow of the list.

Some of the songs were songs I really, really enjoyed. Those I'd heard before being by The Stone Roses, The Cure, Surfer Blood, Fleet Foxes, and Coldplay (I had a notion you didn't like Coldplay much, though, so I was surprised you used them in your list and referenced them in your title). Those I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed were those by Camera Obscura, Ryan Adams, Doves, Eels, and Spoon.

But there were also many songs on this list that I didn't particularly enjoy at all. Some of these artists are artists I've tried to like before, and had been considering giving another shot recently, but the songs herein reminded me why I had originally given up on them (Blur, Built To Spill, LCD Sound System, Neil Young). Also, I didn't care for some of the stuff by people I'd heard very little of (but had never tried to get into in the first place) such as Joni Mitchell, Liz Phair, and Randy Newman.

The rest of the tracks that I didn't mention fit in with me as being between average and above average (ie, I like Simon and Garfunkel, but America is one of my lesser favourite tracks, but still very solid).

Overall, very, very well put together. It's just not as much my style as I'd hoped.
Disappointed that a number of the tracks did nothing for you, but I am at least glad you thought it all held together really well. Realistically, it's the only thing I can control; I can't make anyone enjoy the songs, but I can put together a list that's obviously lived-in and cohesive, which I felt I managed to do.

I'm by no means a Coldplay fan, but I do love Parachutes, as well as a few select songs from the following three albums. Strawberry Swing is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and it has some thematic significance that I would get into but don't want to seem like more of an attention whore than I already am.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Through the first 9 tracks and HOLY 80s, BATMAN! Not that I should be surprised. Some of those choices were a bit hit-or-miss for me. I loved The Killers track and the fun. track (hadn't heard either before), and of course I've always loved Bizarre Love Triangle. As is probably well known by now, though, I don't like Bruce Springsteen. []
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Disappointed that a number of the tracks did nothing for you, but I am at least glad you thought it all held together really well. Realistically, it's the only thing I can control; I can't make anyone enjoy the songs, but I can put together a list that's obviously lived-in and cohesive, which I felt I managed to do.

I'm by no means a Coldplay fan, but I do love Parachutes, as well as a few select songs from the following three albums. Strawberry Swing is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and it has some thematic significance that I would get into but don't want to seem like more of an attention whore than I already am.
Well this is the first list of artists not involving you that hasn't been a super hit for me. It was bound to happen at some point! I suppose I am just disappointed as compared to previous lists.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,324
Local Time: 04:44 AM
I'm moving through LM's list and am up to Leonard Cohen. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, and most of the transitions have been solid, especially Camera Obscura -> Surfer Blood. I thought that was great, and on paper I didn't think it would work.

Liz Phair -> Simon & Garfunkel, on the other hand, not so much. Good songs though (I've got America on mine, although I took it from the Best Of for a clean edit).
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,324
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quite the spectacular stretch going on right now. While Willie Nelson into Tom Waits was an abrupt edit, the move from there to Randy Newman was fantastic; this whole section has been a real treat. I even didn't mind Ryan Adams, and I usually can't stand him. Currently up to Coldplay.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Having just finished the first disc of Ashley's list, I'll comment on the post-Bizarre Love Triangle songs (since I already commented on the previous). There is a very strong segment from The Horrors through Metric. I'd never given Bloc Party much of a shot before, because they just seemed bland on the few songs I'd heard by them. Much like Elbow did when I first heard Elbow. And while this Bloc Party song isn't as in your face as the Elbow song that changed my preconceived notions (it was Grounds For Divorce, if you're interested), it's better than how I remember them. That being said, I still have no appreciation for Okkervil River. Also, The Mountain Goats did nothing for me. So all in all, very hit and miss. But more hits than misses on that disc. Disc two, however, shall wait.

...oh, and some of it flowed really well.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #152
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 82,906
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Through the first 9 tracks and HOLY 80s, BATMAN! Not that I should be surprised. Some of those choices were a bit hit-or-miss for me. I loved The Killers track and the fun. track (hadn't heard either before), and of course I've always loved Bizarre Love Triangle. As is probably well known by now, though, I don't like Bruce Springsteen. []
I think my lists are actually becoming a parody of my other lists at this point .

The Killers track is actually a cover of a Bright Eyes song, but, the original really does nothing for me. I've been trying to sing the praises of fun. since last year, but no one really caught on lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post

...oh, and some of it flowed really well.
Hooray for some flow!
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 82,906
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
wasn't a big fan of disc one, despite there being some good tunes in there - "Thank You Mario But Our Princess Is In Another Castle" would have to be one of the best titles ever - as it was all quite similar.
Meant to say this last night:

QED allbecauseofu2.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Currently listening to Tourist's list.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #155
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 57,489
Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
it got cut from my final draft, before i even saw their lists.

hell.
mine too
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Meant to say this last night:

QED allbecauseofu2.
thought you'd say that. it was late, and i didn't mean it disparagingly, just that the disc was all in a similar vein. it worked well.

that Roykosopp instrumental was great.

i hope y'all are ready for my DI debut.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,470
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Starting the second half of Ashley's list.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #157
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 82,906
Local Time: 01:44 AM
Exceellleeeent...
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Finished Tourist's list. Solid. As I mentioned to him, I had about half of the tracks already, so obviously there were going to be things I liked on it. The flow was great, too. I will say there were a few tracks that I found a bit grating (the beginning was not my taste at all aside from the Beatles related tracks), but overall this list is a great effort.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Finally got around to uploading and sending my list in to phanan. Now that all of that is taken care of, I can really start to dig into listening everybody else's stuff.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #160
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 57,489
Local Time: 06:44 PM
i can't tell ashley, tourist, and pfan apart anymore.

just finishing liam's list, the Phish song is playing. it was pretty great. Dogs () was the only song I knew, and there were good songs everywhere.

just tourist's to go now.
__________________

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread phanan Just the Bang and the Clatter 199 03-24-2010 02:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×