Desert Island VI Album Game: FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the FINAL for Interference Desert Island VI! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

the tourist has taken the bronze by virtue of his 9-4 win over gump in the third place match.

Our final match, to determine the winner of Desert Island VI, will be Mr. V against bono_212. Below are their playlists.

NOTE: the final will run for 48 hours.

Forum name: Mr. V

coloursphixr.png

COLOURS

This is probably as close to an autobiographical playlist as I'll get. This just sounds like my life at the moment. While there is a common theme or two, there's no story you need to follow or anything. The songs were chosen because of either their lyrical relevance, personal meaning, or contribution to the overall tone of the playlist.

There is a lot of different music here, with genres like pop, rock, shoegaze, indie, alternative, electronica, Britpop, piano rock, post-punk, experimental, neo-psychedelia and synthpop. With this in mind I have tried to make the transitions between these as seamless as possible - and indeed, in some instances, two songs almost become one, which is very pleasing.

I have no idea what the cover art is, but I did it one night when I was in an altered state and it just fitted with the music perfectly, so I'm sticking with it.

What I can say is that I love all the music on here. I thoroughly enjoyed putting this playlist together, and I hope you get something out of it, or at the very least, enjoy listening to it.

1. Sonic Youth - "Teen Age Riot" - Daydream Nation (6:59)
2. Interpol - "Obstacle 1" - Turn On The Bright Lights (4:11)
3. Franz Ferdinand - "Outsiders" - You Could Have It So Much Better (4:03)
4. Crowded House - "Pineapple Head" - Recurring Dream (The Very Best of Crowded House) (3:28)
5. Elbow - "Mirrorball" - The Seldom Seen Kid (5:50)
6. Ben Folds - "Adelaide" - Supersunnyspeedgraphic, the LP (3:13)
7. U2 - "Spanish Eyes" - The Joshua Tree (Bonus CD) (3:16)
8. Bruce Springsteen - "She's The One" - Born to Run (4:31)
9. The Black Keys - "Psychotic Girl" - Attack & Release (4:11)
10. The Smashing Pumpkins - "1979" - Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits (4:24)
11. R.E.M. - "Daysleeper" - In Time - The Best of R.E.M. (1988-2003) (3:41)
12. Oasis - "Cast No Shadow" - (What's The Story) Morning Glory (4:52)
13. Echo & the Bunnymen - "My Kingdom" - Ocean Rain (4:05)
14. The Who - "Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next (5:10)
15. The Killers - "Read My Mind" - Sam's Town (4:07)
16. Passengers - "Slug" - Original Soundtracks 1 (4:42)
17. Animal Collective - "Summertime Clothes" - Merriweather Post Pavilion (4:32)
18. Radiohead - "All I Need" - In Rainbows (3:49)
19. LCD Soundsystem - "Get Innocuous!" - Sound of Silver (7:12)
20. Bloc Party - "Better Than Heaven" - Intimacy (4:22)
21. Glasvegas - "Geraldine" - Geraldine (single) (4:08)
22. Arctic Monkeys - "505" - Favourite Worst Nightmare (4:13)
23. Coldplay "Trouble" - Parachutes (4:31)
24. The Beatles - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Demo)" - Anthology 3 (3:22)
25. Arcade Fire - "Neighborhood #4 (7 Kettles)" - Funeral (4:50)
26. The Last Shadow Puppets - "Meeting Place" - The Age of the Understatement (3:56)
27. Kanye West - "Street Lights" - 808s & Heartbreak (3:12)
28. The Jesus and Mary Chain - "Just Like Honey" - Psychocandy (3:04)
29. The Hold Steady - "Lord, I'm Discouraged" - Stay Positive (5:08)
30. Frightened Rabbit - "Floating in the Forth" - The Midnight Organ Fight (4:14)

Total Time: 2:10:59

Forum Name: bono_212

Robert's Fucking Despair Knows No Geographic Boundaries...I Mean...He Is Upset. So Take A Little Pity On The Guy Why Don't You?

I really don't have much to say about this list. Listening to it makes me extremely happy, that's for sure. I tried not to let current events in my life taint it too much, but, well, that's just not entirely possible, as, I find with music, you listen to the music that fits the mood your in. So, maybe I am semi-attempting to give an explanation for why my list is a little "poppier" than average, but, really, I created something I enjoy, and I hope you all can get a bit of entertainment out of it as well.

1. The Cure - "The Top" - The Top (6:58)
2. Peter Gabriel - "Games Without Frontiers" - Hit [Disc 1] (3:58)
3. Pet Shop Boys - "Suburbia" - Discography-Complete Singles Collection (4:04)
4. David Bowie - "Ashes To Ashes" - Scary Monsters (4:25)
5. U2 - "Love Comes Tumbling" - Wide Awake In America (4:45)
6. Tears For Fears - "Start Of The Breakdown" - The Hurting (5:01)
7. BellX1 - "The Great Defector" - The Great Defector (4:41)
8. The Killers - "On Top" - Hot Fuss (4:19)
9. Snow Patrol - "Set The Fire To The Third Bar" - Eyes Open (3:24)
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Hysteric" - It's Blitz!
11. Simon and Garfunkel - "America" - Bookends (3:36)
12. Joni Mitchell - "Both Sides Now" - Both Sides Now (5:45)
13. Okkervil River - "So Come Back, I Am Waiting" - Black Sheep Boy (8:03)
14. Bon Iver - "Skinny Love" - For Emma, Forever Ago (3:56)
15. Elton John - "Tiny Dancer" - The Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (6:17)
16. Bruce Springsteen - "I'm On Fire" - Born In The U.S.A. (2:34)
17. Fleetwood Mac - "Go Your Own Way" - Rumors (3:37)
18. Pixies - "Debaser" - Doolittle (2:53)
19. The Format - "She Doesn't Get It" - Dog Problems (3:51)
20. Cut Copy - "So Haunted" - In Ghost Colours (4:27)
21. Hellogoodbye - "Here (In Your Arms) - ZOMBIES! ALIENS! VAMPIRES! DINOSAURS! (4:01)
22. Elbow - "The Bones Of You" - The Seldom Seen Kid (4:49)
23. Crowded House - "Private Universe" - Together Alone (5:39)
24. Fleet Foxes - "Your Protector" - Fleet Foxes (4:10)
25. Bob Dylan - "Hurricane" - Essential Bob Dylan (8:34)
26. Ryan Adams - "Let It Ride" - Cold Roses (3:24)
27. Jefferson Airplane - "Embryonic Journey" - Surrealistic Pillow (1:56)
28. Led Zeppelin - "Going to California" - Led Zeppelin IV (3:32)
29. Tom Petty - "Alright For Now" - Full Moon Fever (2:01)
30. The Velvet Underground - "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (5:40)
31. Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees" - The Bends (4:51)
32. Barenaked Ladies - "Brian Wilson" - Gordon (4:47)
33. The National - "Abel" - Alligator (3:37)
34. Nick Drake - "From The Morning" - Pink Moon (2:30)
35. Cat Stevens - "Wild World" - Tea For The Tillermen (3:21)
36. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Who'll Stop The Rain" - Cosmo's Factory (2:28)

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Congratulations to both of you for reaching the final.

Ashley, this is the best entry you've had, so I'm glad you've received some recognition for your efforts. But I have to go with Mr. V here, who simply had the best playlist in the tournament.

Again, well done to you both.

This almost seemed like a natural progression for Mr. V. His last list was fantastic, but people held against it the fact that it was only 80 minutes. As I said last time, I loved that list but felt like he could do a fantastic full list too. And you know what? He made one even better than that one. It was fantastic the whole way through.

Slowest final round ever? :lol:

Got to give my vote to Mr. V here, even though Ash made her best list yet this time out.

I haven't voted at all up to this point, so I'll abstain this time, too, but these are two terrific looking playlists. I wish I would've had time to be a part of the competition this time around, or at least to follow it more closely. Best of luck to both finalists :up:

Whoops! Forgot about this lol. I'm sure the start of the tour didn't help anything.

Anyways, if I weren't the opposing side, I'd vote for Mr. V as well.

Boy, is that Phanan a pro or what? :D Nice timing.

I'm not sure how to pick one of these over the other, because they are both so similar. I liked Bono212 saying this was a poppier list, then began with a thoroughly depressing Cure track. I thought to myself, "I'd hate to catch her on a bad day" :wink: . But the rest was as she said, so of course, it was to my liking. But imo, her DI V was even better. I scored a good number of songs from that list. :ohmy:

Mr V had a truckload of great songs too, and a few I didn't care for. Both lists had about the same number of both. But I finally got Just Like Honey by J&M Chain. Thanks, Mr V.

A special award for Phanan and Lila for having the only lists (I believe) that uploaded in the correct order :up: It's hard enough getting all the lists and listening without having to spend time rearranging the songs after uploading.

As I mentioned before, I really liked Irishteen's opening set. And to prove the dangers of judging these lists after one listen, I now really love the Gary Moore track that I blew off after the first go around.

And even though the last half became heavily post rock, dare I say, Axver-y :), my favorite list of all, on the strength of a great first half which I have listened to a number of times now, was AtomicBono's. A funny & now timely Michael Jackson themed rap? song, followed by a new track (for me) that I enjoyed more than any other, MIA's "Pull Up the People". Awesome song!!! :applaud:

Well, anyways, the new stuff is what I'm in this for. So thanks and good job to everyone.

Sorry this was kinda long, I was gonna say a little something about everyone's list, cuz there was something to like from every one. Haven't had much time to spend here lately. But I'll end now.

Going with Bono212 :wave:

Hardy, I don't think I ever heard your thoughts on my list. If you get a chance, I'd be curious to hear what you thought.

Phanan, I wonder if Ax ever saw that post. Maybe I'll drop it on him one night in the superthread if I ever make it back there :D

PFan - I think yours was one of the first ones we heard. There were a few we listened to before the tourney began, that were emailed to Lila. Yours, maybe LM and LMP. So I never burned it to a disc, therefore only had one listen. But looking back at it now, and your DI V list was probably your best at that point, this entry I thought was better. I think you'd agree when I say it was easily your most diverse set of groups and styles to date. And since I've been watching a few interferencers, yourself included, grow musically in the last couple years, I think it's plain to see everyone's musical horizons expanding. You had some nice stretches, the beginning with Bill Hicks was cool. I just discovered him, he's really good and then I see he's already dead :huh: . Not a big Pavement or Television fan, but everything else around them were good up through Flaming Lips, I believe. Then the section around One of These Days starting around U2 pretty much through the end was nice, with a few exceptions mixed in. And the tracks I didn't care for may only be due to the fact that I'm just learning and hearing a lot of the newer bands for the first time, like many of you are just starting to delve deeper into the catalogs of the older groups of my generation. Like you pulled a nice deeper cut from London Calling. And looking back at your list Pfan, I think the groupings had a big impact on the outcome of the contest. I don't remember the groups anymore, but perhaps in a different group you could have come out in the top 4, the majority of lists were that close. I noticed in the final voting that many entries were only a few votes from advancing. A close contest indeed, and a nice effort from you once again.

I've listened to a good chunk of the DI lists since the start, though I never participated, cuz Lila always downloaded them to listen to. And if anyone noticed, cuz the early lists were much more generic, this DI, if I remember correctly, had nothing from Abbey Road, Dark Side, Wish YOu Were Here, etc etc...... A much more diverse selection of music, and a much richer listening experience.

Anyways, I don't contribute a whole lot to interference, but I keep checking back because I enjoy reading the posts of a lot of you. LM, LMP, Pfan, Bono212, SadPunk, Ax, well, pretty much all the Aussie superthreaders......... so many others. Your all bright, witty, just downright entertaining. It's been my pleasure just being a small part of all this.

And to think, I posted all this while Lila was listening to crappy audio of the first show right behind me :lol:

Phanan, I wonder if Ax ever saw that post. Maybe I'll drop it on him one night in the superthread if I ever make it back there :D

Found it.

So I'm listening to Phanan's yesterday and everything is moving along nicely. I get to disc 2..... U2, another pleasant song or two, then suddenly I'm working harder, faster and I realize something has gone wrong. The set has switched to radio or something. My head is beginning to bob uncontrollably up and down. I think my hair has suddenly turned blonde, straight and is way past my shoulders. Am I in a mosh pit? What's going on? The boombox is ok, it's still on cd. I'm getting worried. What's happened to Phanan. This is not Phanan. Not...... Phanan. Not........
............... Phanan. Not.......Axver! Oh no :yikes:. I've got it. He's tried to get off his island. Like Tom Hanks in Cast Away. But ended up like the castaways on Gilligan's Island. Lost. No compass, GPS down. He's ended up on Prog island. Captured by evil notaxver. Professor of 60 minute Green Carnation tracks. The headbanger from down under. Curse you notaxver! Your diabolical.

How do we save Phanan.

Or do we, I like this song :D

The song is over. It's been 12 minutes. Has he escaped, or has notaxver changed him forever.

I'll report back later.......

PFan - I think yours was one of the first ones we heard. There were a few we listened to before the tourney began, that were emailed to Lila. Yours, maybe LM and LMP. So I never burned it to a disc, therefore only had one listen. But looking back at it now, and your DI V list was probably your best at that point, this entry I thought was better. I think you'd agree when I say it was easily your most diverse set of groups and styles to date. And since I've been watching a few interferencers, yourself included, grow musically in the last couple years, I think it's plain to see everyone's musical horizons expanding. You had some nice stretches, the beginning with Bill Hicks was cool. I just discovered him, he's really good and then I see he's already dead :huh: . Not a big Pavement or Television fan, but everything else around them were good up through Flaming Lips, I believe. Then the section around One of These Days starting around U2 pretty much through the end was nice, with a few exceptions mixed in. And the tracks I didn't care for may only be due to the fact that I'm just learning and hearing a lot of the newer bands for the first time, like many of you are just starting to delve deeper into the catalogs of the older groups of my generation. Like you pulled a nice deeper cut from London Calling. And looking back at your list Pfan, I think the groupings had a big impact on the outcome of the contest. I don't remember the groups anymore, but perhaps in a different group you could have come out in the top 4, the majority of lists were that close. I noticed in the final voting that many entries were only a few votes from advancing. A close contest indeed, and a nice effort from you once again.

I've listened to a good chunk of the DI lists since the start, though I never participated, cuz Lila always downloaded them to listen to. And if anyone noticed, cuz the early lists were much more generic, this DI, if I remember correctly, had nothing from Abbey Road, Dark Side, Wish YOu Were Here, etc etc...... A much more diverse selection of music, and a much richer listening experience.

Anyways, I don't contribute a whole lot to interference, but I keep checking back because I enjoy reading the posts of a lot of you. LM, LMP, Pfan, Bono212, SadPunk, Ax, well, pretty much all the Aussie superthreaders......... so many others. Your all bright, witty, just downright entertaining. It's been my pleasure just being a small part of all this.

And to think, I posted all this while Lila was listening to crappy audio of the first show right behind me :lol:

Thank you very much. You're as articulate as anyone in this game, and it's always fun to read your reviews.

Wow. Thanks guys. :ohmy: I honestly didn't give myself a shot to win this because there's so many of you guys who have done this before, and this was only my second list... and my first of such length. I'm glad you liked it, and am really proud, and hope I got you into some new music, or old music. Cheers. :up:

And even though the last half became heavily post rock, dare I say, Axver-y :), my favorite list of all, on the strength of a great first half which I have listened to a number of times now, was AtomicBono's. A funny & now timely Michael Jackson themed rap? song, followed by a new track (for me) that I enjoyed more than any other, MIA's "Pull Up the People". Awesome song!!! :applaud:

wow really? thanks!! glad you liked it! :D

Congrats Mr. V, awesome list :up:

Can we have a mini-DI symphonic whatever - METAL :rockon:

I'm not sure how to pick one of these over the other, because they are both so similar. I liked Bono212 saying this was a poppier list, then began with a thoroughly depressing Cure track. I thought to myself, "I'd hate to catch her on a bad day" :wink: .

You know, I was wondering if anyone noticed that :lmao:. I didn't realize I did that til like mid-way through the tournament :lol:

Wow. Thanks guys. :ohmy: I honestly didn't give myself a shot to win this because there's so many of you guys who have done this before, and this was only my second list... and my first of such length. I'm glad you liked it, and am really proud, and hope I got you into some new music, or old music. Cheers. :up:

Congrats, good sir.

Hey steady steady
Hey steady steady
I don't wanna go until I'm good and ready

My playlist will provide the light you cannot resist
You cannot resist
You cannot resist!

:wink:

Hey guys, I have to apologize for missing out on the latest rounds of the vote. It has been a crazy period, moving across continents, no Internet, etc. Anyways, I’m quite happy to have reach the semis!!!

Since this got bumped, I was thinking about how we could do this different the next time, whenever that is.

We could have 20 players, and once all playlists are submitted, everyone gets some time to listen to them, and then they would come up with a ranking of all the playlists. Each person submits their rankings to me, and based on those, we declare a winner.

No polls, no rounds, no worries about alters or questionable votes. We do a sign-up thread, a master list thread, and a results thread, with everyone's rankings. And that's it.

And no, I'm not doing DI7 right now. Let's give it a little break first. Just throwing this idea out there.

Back
Top Bottom