Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You still need the time to listen! :lol: I don't see how a chat thread helps with that. Unless I'm missing something.

For me, doing the running diaries motivated me to keep going with lists I would have otherwise given up on, and in a couple of cases discovered things I would have overlooked.

Well that was the quickest I've ever put one of these together. This one might even be a crowd-pleaser for a change.

Depends on where you want to go. And where you want to be pleasured. If you catch my current...

For those who don't know:

1. My list is in two CD format.
2. One disc is extremely loud, and the other is filled with quiet soundscapes.
3. 29 of the 37 artists have never been used on one of my Desert Island lists before.
4. It'll probably take a few listens to get into because the two halves vary so much.

that sounds good. kinda like my DI3 list, though I bet your artists are completely different. I look forward to it :up:

mine definitely has some songs that few if any will like, but I'm hoping people will at least give them a chance. people probably won't be familiar with a lot of the songs, but hopefully you all will like some of them at least. there's a lot of variety. i decided for this one I just wanted to make one big playlist of songs that I like. no theme or anything.

btw what exactly is the running diary thing...?

that sounds good. kinda like my DI3 list, though I bet your artists are completely different. I look forward to it :up:

mine definitely has some songs that few if any will like, but I'm hoping people will at least give them a chance. people probably won't be familiar with a lot of the songs, but hopefully you all will like some of them at least. there's a lot of variety. i decided for this one I just wanted to make one big playlist of songs that I like. no theme or anything.

btw what exactly is the running diary thing...?

It is quite a bit like that. I think you'll enjoy it. We're going for similar goals this time. I want to give everyone something to hold on to, but also challenge listeners. Obviously, if you don't like one half, there's still a strong chance you'll enjoy the other, and both flow very well. There isn't a Big Picture to see by listening to them in order, unless you count the insane amount of variety there is to absorb. It's a very good list, probably not my best, but certainly a change of pace, if nothing else. There won't be very many lists that rock as hard as the first half of mine (Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Porcupine Tree, Muse, and Pearl Jam, all at their loudest), few will be as dark and brooding as the other half, and I don't think anyone would attempt to combine the two.

A running diary is when you talk with the maker of the list as you listen to it, telling them what you think as you go.

yeah, as a whole mine not rock as hard, but I can almost guarantee no one here has some of the heavy stuff I have - I'm talking metalcore, mathcore, post-hardcore

interference, prepare to have your faces melted off.

the running diary sounds cool. I like the tourist's explanation :wink:

The Sound of the Underground, huh?

Did you come up with that yourself? I could have sworn I heard that someplace else...

Just for you because I saw your post at the top of the page. :heart:

I'm an American and an indie-rock dweeb but I'm also a closet GA fan. :love:

My one big concern with expanding to 24 competitors is the listening aspect. We already have enough trouble getting around to listening to 20 lists, and I've often thought we should reduce it to 16 entries

To be fair, whenever I've voted in these things, I've recognized 90% of the songs so I can often eyeball it. I'm sure a lot of other voters do the same. The worst instances though are when people don't know a lot of the songs and vote based on name recognition (whereas I simply don't vote if I can't recall a lot of the tracks). :down:

For example, the poster that already gave out clues as to what's on their list, including a few artist names, well, I'm certain I'll have heard most of, if not all of their compilation. I don't hold that against people though and honestly vote for my overall favorite based on the quality of the music and the way the songs flow together. Just pointing out that some of us here have wasted so much of our lives listening to music that we need to hear very few of these playlists.

yeah, thats alright, although it means the rounds that have people with more familiar songs will get more votes. i'd be surprised if anyone knows more than half the music on my list. personally my favourite part of this competition is discovering new music, so that's something I consider when I make my playlists

Not just that, but how people put the actual list together, you know? Perusing it looking for stuff you like kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Not just that, but how people put the actual list together, you know? Perusing it looking for stuff you like kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Well, I mean, you're supposed to vote for the list you like more, so if it's not the purpose, it's in the ballpark somewhere. :wink:

Yeah, simply glancing at a list I may know songs A, B, C and E. But whether they sound good in the order A, B, C, E or a totally different order, I will know only if I listen. So I don't think voting on just familiarity really helps this contest.

It was mentioned awhile back in here, but I agree with whoever said that future DI's (6 and on) should be 120 minutes.

So we've had our first drop out. Here's our updated list:

1. phanan
2. Axver
3. KhanadaRhodes
4. phillyfan26
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. AtomicBono
9. bono_212
10. DreamOutLoud13
11. RegularBonoFan
12. Screwtape2
13. Mr. V
14. impy13
15. GirlsAloudFan
16. the tourist
17. Alisaura
18. The Sad Punk
19. BigMacPhisto
20. DaveC

Alternate 1: Lancemc
Alternate 2: GibsonGirl
Alternate 3: hardyharhar
Alternate 4: Joey788

I'm assuming by GG's post that she's interested.

I strongly believe that in the future we have to increase the number of participants and lower the playlist lengths to 80 minutes. I know that's not a lot of time but personally I think the shorter Symphonic Album Game was one if not the best edition we've had. More people, easier listening experience, more participation, maybe higher quality and listeners will get more of a feel for a playlist.

While I love the World Cup style, I think we should figure out a system where you get to appreciate the playlists longer. I hate to see people out of it so quickly. Maybe we could have an opening ceremony or parade of playlists where people comment on them before they compete against each other.

Another idea I have that probably won't be popular is that maybe we should change the competition so that contestants are put into one of two leagues or conferences and play against everyone else there. Instead of doing polls, a thread displays the schedule of that conference's games in that round. Instead of simply voting for a person, we steal the system Irishteen is using in the Artist thread. This way people are still in the running for awhile. People stay interested and people don't get discouraged. Then we take the top two or four of each conference and use polls for those matches.

Those are my thoughts at least.

I strongly believe that in the future we have to increase the number of participants and lower the playlist lengths to 80 minutes. I know that's not a lot of time but personally I think the shorter Symphonic Album Game was one if not the best edition we've had. More people, easier listening experience, more participation, maybe higher quality and listeners will get more of a feel for a playlist.

I agree with this completely. 160 to 120 isn't large enough of a drop IMO. All that will do is cut a handful of tracks and make it more frustrating for those of us who want to make something with a more epic feel. If it's set at 80, everyone will look at the tournament differently, and adjust accordingly. Their lists will be better for it.

Yeah... making it a single-disc length would make the most sense if a drop would occur. Personally, I prefer the 2-disc format because it allows for more variety and creative stylings n' shit, but it's up to you guys.

About the actual format of the tourney... I'd be down with Axver's preliminary idea, or even doing what Irishteen's doing with that Premier-style thing if we're going that route. Also, maybe making the wrap-up awards more of a main thing than declaring a full-on winner, possibly. It still is a tournament though, so there should be a "winner," but I'd like to see the other quality lists get their share of attention, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom