Desert Island V Album Game: Round 1, Match 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second match of the first round for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

One final note: If you haven't listened to all the playlists, and you don't think you'll have time to get through them, I would urge everyone to at least review how each playlist is structured and, if possible, to check out the sequencing and flow of the songs. I'd also take the time to listen to a song by an artist you are unfamiliar with, or any song by an artist you usually dislike, as sometimes you may hear something you never thought you would have from that artist.

Our second match features two-time champion LemonMacPhisto and newcomer GirlsAloudFan. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Hey fellas, I’m back again with another list for you guys. This time around, I wanted to try and make a list that’s fun to listen to, diverse, and well constructed. This contest has always been a fun creative exercise for me, and I think this is the most fun I’ve had creating a list and its peripherals. Originally, this was a 2 CD set split with 18 songs each, but the length went over on the 1st disc, so that was shot. Instead, I broke it up into 4 sections and used that as an opportunity to make some covers for each:

The first section is more dance/electronica-oriented, with a shot from Predator serving as the cover, which actually served as the music video for Ratatat’s “Mirando.”

The second section is a darker progression, with the shot of Jaws serving as visual irony for this section’s title. “Please” is meant to end the first half, not really meaning to go into the Weezer track well at all.

The third section digs more into that ‘90s alt rock sound then ending with Adam Sandler’s magnum opus, “The Goat Song;” the cover here comes from Fight Club.

The final section takes a more lighter approach and is my favorite part of the entire list; the cover is a shot from Raging Bull, referencing the closing line in Jake La Motta’s opening monologue.
So yeah, that’s about it. I hope you all enjoy listening to the list and give me some feedback on what you liked, didn’t like, etc… I’m incredibly psyched to hear everyone else’s lists and get crackin’.

LMP / YLB Presents:

Hollywood Freaks

1. Hot Chip - “Over and Over” - The Warning (5:48)
2. The Beastie Boys - “Hey Ladies” - Paul’s Boutique (3:48)
3. Beck - “Hollywood Freaks (ft. The Dust Brothers)” - Midnite Vultures (4:00)
4. The Roots - “Quills” - Phrenology (4:22)
5. Ratatat - “Mirando” - LP3 (3:52)
6. Mute Math - “Peculiar People” - Reset [EP] (4:36)
7. Kanye West - “Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix)” - Late Registration (3:53)
8. David Bowie - “I’m Afraid of Americans (Nine Inch Nails V1 Mix)” - Earthling [Bonus Tracks] (5:30)
9. Gorillaz - “Clint Eastwood (ft. Del the Funky Homosapien)” - Gorillaz (5:44)

Total Time: 41:28

Comfy in Nautica

10. Panda Bear - “Comfy in Nautica” - Person Pitch (4:05)
11. King Crimson - “21st Century Schizoid Man” - In the Court of the Crimson King (7:22)
12. Charles Mingus & RZA - “II B.S. (RZA's Mingus Bounce Mix)" - Impulsive! Revolutionary Jazz Reworked (3:23)
13. The Beatles - “I Am the Walrus” - Magical Mystery Tour [EP] (4:35)
14. Thom Yorke - “And It Rained All Night” - The Eraser (4:21)
15. Moby - “One of These Mornings (ft. Patti LaBelle)” - Miami Vice [Soundtrack] (4:01)
16. Seal - “Killer (Single Version)” - Killer [Single] (4:19)
17. Peter Gabriel - “Zaar” - Passion: Music from ‘The Last Temptation of Christ’ (4:53)
18. U2 - “Please (Single)” - Please [Single] (5:50)

Total Time: 42:42

Blow Out

19. Weezer - “The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations of a Shaker Hymn)” - Weezer (The Red Album) (5:52)
20. Pavement - “Cut Your Hair” - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (3:07)
21. The Replacements - “Bastards of Young” - Tim (3:38)
22. PJ Harvey - “Kamikaze” - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (2:24)
23. Radiohead - “Blow Out” - Pablo Honey (4:42)
24. Sonic Youth - “Dirty Boots” - Goo (5:30)
25. R.E.M. - “New Orleans Instrumental No. 1” - Automatic for the People (2:15)
26. Roy Orbison - “In Dreams” - In Dreams (2:50)
27. Adam Sandler - “The Goat Song” - What’s Your Name? (7:49)

Total Time: 38:04

That’s Entertainment

28. The Flaming Lips - “Waitin’ for a Superman (“Is It Getting’ Heavy?”) (4:17)
29. The Waterboys - “Beverly Penn” - This Is the Sea [Bonus Tracks] (5:40)
30. Arcade Fire - “(Antichrist Television Blues)” - Neon Bible (5:10)
31. The Jam - “That’s Entertainment” - Sound Affects (3:13)
32. The Shins - “Kissing the Lipless” - Chutes Too Narrow (3:19)
33. Sufjan Stevens - “John Wayne Gacy, Jr.” - Illinois (3:20)
34. Simon & Garfunkel - “Old Friends / Bookends” - Bookends (3:58)
35. The Kinks - “Shangri-La” - Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire) (5:21)
36. Pink Floyd - “Eclipse” - Dark Side of the Moon (2:01)

Total Time: 36:14

Forum name: GirlsAloudFan

GOOD TIMES

This is it. This is me. This is the music that I love. Enjoy. Good luck.

And try to remember always to have GOOD TIMES.

1. Girls Aloud - "Intro" - Chemistry - (0:42)
2. Bruce Springsteen - "Thunder Road" - Born to Run - (4:48)
3. Aliotta, Haynes, and Jeremiah - "Lake Shore Drive" - Lake Shore Drive - (3:56)
4. Led Zeppelin - "Going to California" - Zoso - (3:32)
5. Cat Stevens - "Wild World" - Very Best of Cat Stevens - (3:20)
6. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "American Girl" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - (3:34)
7. The Who - "Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next? - (5:09)
8. The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" - Let It Bleed - (4:37)
9. U2 - "Acrobat" - Achtung Baby! - (4:30)
10. Radiohead - "Reckoner" - In Rainbows - (4:50)
11. The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour - (4:08)
12. Panda Bear - "Comfy In Nautica" - Person Pitch - (4:04)
13. Of Montreal - "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse" - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? - (3:19)
14. Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up - (4:26)
15. Pavement - "Gold Soundz" - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - (2:40)
16. Okkervil River - "Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe..." - The Stage Names - (4:24)
17. Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City" - Appetite For Destruction - (6:46)
18. Pearl Jam - "Alive" - Ten - (5:41)
19. Neil Young - "Rockin' In the Free World" - Freedom - (4:40)
20. Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nevermind - (5:01)
21. Eddie Vedder with Zeke - "I Believe In Miracles" - We're A Happy Family - (3:01)
22. R.E.M. - "Begin the Begin" - Lifes Rich Pageant - (3:29)
23. The Hold Steady - "Constructive Summer" - Stay Positive - (2:56)
24. The Clash - "Death or Glory" - London Calling - (3:55)
25. My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday" - It Still Moves - (5:21)
26. The Coral - "Dreaming Of You" - The Coral - (2:21)
27. The Libertines - "Music When the Lights Go Out" - The Libertines - (3:02)
28. The White Stripes - "The Same Boy You've Always Known" - White Blood Cells - (3:10)
29. Bob Dylan - "Tangled Up In Blue" - Blood On the Tracks - (5:41)
30. Kings of Leon - "Slow Night, So Long" - Aha Shake Heartbreak - (3:54)
31. Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here - (5:18)
32. The Strokes - "Take It or Leave It" - Is This It? - (3:16)
33. Arctic Monkeys - "A Certain Romance" - Whatever People Say I am, That's what I'm not - (5:25)
34. Oasis - "Wonderwall" - What's the Story? (Morning Glory) - (4:19)
35. Jeff Buckley - "Hallelujah" - Grace - (6:54)

Total runtime: 146.15 minutes

UP NEXT: the tourist vs. phanan

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Right off the bat, this is a tough one! While LMP has rap, hip hop and funk that are generally absent from the usual rock dominated playlists, GAF has more songs I love. I admire LMP's list more I think but if given the choice of which playlist I would take with me to a desert island, I have to go with GAF's. I definitely did enjoy both playlists but I related more to GAF's.

This is a tough one. LMP your list is great, well put together, but it's not one of my favorites from you. GAF on the other hand, in his first entry to DI, made a list that I have actually listened to several times. While his doesn't flow as well, he got me in with the music, and that's a big deal with the way I vote. It's close, but GAF

LMP's list is probably his best yet. GAF's list has a lot of fantastic songs, but the flow is often wonky. This one goes to Lumpy.

These are two of my favorite lists, but YLB's is a little more whole. Both have great songs, and for that reason, it came down to flow, and YLB's had that a little bit more.

I thought GAF's playlist was very good, especially for your first time doing this. There were some instances where the flow was a bit off, but otherwise, it held up well.

LMP, however, has probably produced his best entry yet. Very strong in terms of selected tracks and sequencing. He gets my vote here.

Thanks, guys.

I downright love a great deal of what's on GAF's list, as I've said before. For a first-timer, it's excellent, and I'm glad it's getting recognition early.

Still voting for myself though.

Thanx for the kind words y'all! :hug:

LMP's list rocks. And I feel like Tracy Flick voting for myself but I'm gonna do it anyway.

My list has Pearl Jam's 'Alive' on it. I mean come on. Have you heard that guitar solo? :D

My list has Pearl Jam's 'Alive' on it. I mean come on. Have you heard that guitar solo? :D

Well heck, I'm sold! :up:

Aside from that, I do like GAF's list more in this match-up. LMP's has some awesome songs (I think my favourite section was #2), but GAF's has more. And 'Alive'! :wink:

And newbie that I am, I can sympathise with things not flowing perfectly... but I didn't vote for GAF's list because of newbie-solidarity.

There will be no stopping the little bastard this time. His awareness of structure, common appeal, and harmonious musicality (that doesn't mean anything, but it doesn't really matter at this point) within these contests has reached an all time high (just like in the song).

On top of that, GAF's list sucks ass. Which isn't true of course; I only say that because he's drunk.

That is all.

LMP had one of my fave lists from the first ones I heard. And Shangri-la alone is almost enough to get me to vote for it. But being a boring old rock 'n roll kinda person, there's a lot I wouldn't want to hear again (Adam Sandler, some of the rap....). I'll surely be voting for LMP against some other lists, but if I had to listen to one of these two again, I'd choose GAF. And besides, he has a pic of his girlfriend and I think she's taking her clothes off :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom